[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

iPod or MP3 player

Swiss Cheezhead

Okay, so I'm guessing this may have been posted before, but I finally decided to purchase one or the other. What are some pros and cons of each? Is iTunes just an easier-to-use download program? Or is the iPod just a "name" that costs more for the same features?

I figured my fellow Huddlers could provide some pre-purchase wisdom. :wacko:

I think it all depends on what are you going to use it for. If you are going to run or walk with it you can use the crappy shoes from spammers + - I like that - you need to have the NANO for that. I have had multiple IPODS and I currently own two - I would stick with an IPOD.

I still use my phone (Motorola Q) as an mp3 player. Except in my car where my CD player plays mp3 CDs. But actually, I'm getting a bluetooth adapter so I can play my phone's music through my car stereo too, if I were so inclined.

I use iTunes, despite not having an apple branded mp3 player.

The problem with itunes is the extent that it lures you to buy songs off of itunes. They come in .mp4 format and you have limited copying rights. There may be ways to convert to .mp3, but if you dont its hard to burn cds.

If you are using your own music already in .mp3 format i really like the ipod.

Just fyi on buying music from apple. All the downloads make it harder and harder to duplicate the songs. I am sure others know more of this than me.

I used to burn a cd, reload the songs and convert the newly loaded copy to mp3. This does not always work anymore.

This article describes the issue ...

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

Edited by Beaumont

Get an IPOD Jake, it is all we have ever had. My son sells them for Best Buy and he tried a Zune for a while and ended up getting another IPOD.

ETA: This info and $3 will get you Brian Leonard as well :wacko:

Edited by T_bone65

The problem with itunes is the extent that it lures you to buy songs off of itunes. They come in .mp4 format and you have limited copying rights. There may be ways to convert to .mp3, but if you dont its hard to burn cds.

If you are using your own music already in .mp3 format i really like the ipod.

Just fyi on buying music from apple. All the downloads make it harder and harder to duplicate the songs. I am sure others know more of this than me.

I used to burn a cd, reload the songs and convert the newly loaded copy to mp3. This does not always work anymore.

This article describes the issue ...

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

Yeah. Apple is dumb with their proprietary stuff. You used to be able to share the playlists and songs to other applications, but then they locked it down and ruined it.

Plus I just got pissed at iTunes for the second time for the same issue. I set my import to be as high quality mp3s... NOT as the m4p format that Apple keeps defaulting to... because they have DRM and my car can't play them. Once when updating software, it reverted it back to m4p and I didn't notice until I had loaded a bunch of albums and had to go back and do it again.

So eventually I stopped updating the software, because it just seems like every time I did it just added more stupid DRM and lockdown features and messed up my settings. Then yesterday I find that the setting has reverted back again after loading three new CDs in. Pisses me off. I had to delete them all and start again.

From a hardware and design perspective there isn't a better product out there than the ipod.

I think itunes sort of blows, I prefer songbird from a software perspective.

So from everything above, it sounds like the iPod is a good product in itself.

Does anyone else agree with WashD's perspective on iTunes? And, if I have an iPod, I don't have to use iTunes?

the ipod is a great product and i would recommend it over any mp3 player.

i agree with the itunes bashing on the pc, however, if you have a mac, the software is better written (go figure).

however, i have never had an issue making an audio cd from music i downloaded off the itunes store. however, i store all my music with aac lossless.

I have a Zune and a low cost Sansa to run with. I've always steered clear of Ipod because of similar stories of what the above posters talk about with format and DRM issues. I'd rather have an MP3 show up as a flash drive on my desktop. Zune has a fairly slick interface for running your system if you want to be able to sync with your desktop. There is an entire Zune store, but I've honestly never purchased a song from it. If Sony, M$ or some other company tried to handicap everything and drive you to their specific store to purchase music in their formate, they'd be hung in the court of public opinion because they are monsters and bullies. Apple does it and gets away with it because they make cute commercials and neat people buy them. So, my vote is against Ipod but millions of people own them and they are well made. I just think they have a big reputation because they were out early and had a much better marketing campaign than any of the competitors.

I have a Zune and a low cost Sansa to run with. I've always steered clear of Ipod because of similar stories of what the above posters talk about with format and DRM issues. I'd rather have an MP3 show up as a flash drive on my desktop. Zune has a fairly slick interface for running your system if you want to be able to sync with your desktop. There is an entire Zune store, but I've honestly never purchased a song from it. If Sony, M$ or some other company tried to handicap everything and drive you to their specific store to purchase music in their formate, they'd be hung in the court of public opinion because they are monsters and bullies. Apple does it and gets away with it because they make cute commercials and neat people buy them. So, my vote is against Ipod but millions of people own them and they are well made. I just think they have a big reputation because they were out early and had a much better marketing campaign than any of the competitors.

So where do you get your music?

I love my ipod

Ipod all the way.

Wise men

So from everything above, it sounds like the iPod is a good product in itself.

Does anyone else agree with WashD's perspective on iTunes? And, if I have an iPod, I don't have to use iTunes?

No, I use amazon some because they will have songs cheaper a lot of times.

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-pla...7-32072240.html

I'll sell you my Archos 504 40GB MP3/video player if you want a supercharged mp3 player with a nice big screen. It's bulky though, about the size of a small cassette walkman. It also comes with a DVR base that you can record TV on, though I've never used it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-pla...7-32072240.html

I'll sell you my Archos 504 40GB MP3/video player if you want a supercharged mp3 player with a nice big screen. It's bulky though, about the size of a small cassette walkman. It also comes with a DVR base that you can record TV on, though I've never used it.

I'll buy anything at the right price. :wacko:

And I'm still looking for someone to tell me which site offers the best music downloading service. Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'd rather not. Big John -- is there already a thread about this somewhere?

And I'm still looking for someone to tell me which site offers the best music downloading service. Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'd rather not. Big John -- is there already a thread about this somewhere?

Not for this question.

But there is a Thread on iTunes

I usually try to buy it from the band, but I listen to a lot of independent bands... I don't know if the big guys do it.

I absolutely love the Cowon D2. It is 16 GB flash memory (no moving hard drive parts that will eventually break) and it allows you to add an additional memory card, so you would have 32 GB total. Plus, you can play videos on it, but you have to convert to that size. The sound is superb. I promise you it's much better than an Ipod. You don't have to use iTunes. You just drag your files on to it like it's another hard drive. Plus, you can put pictures and flash games, etc on it, but it's best as a music player. It plays multiple formats. Oh you gotta, get decent headphones. The ones it comes with are not good, but that's typical of all these players.

It's very small, fits in your pocket. Has a touch screen, which I didn't think I would like, but I do like it - works well. It has a FM radio. And the best thing of all is that the battery lasts like 52 hours for music. Less for videos, but I've left it on all night and it still had plenty of juice left.

You can find all kinds of reviews online. Here's a link: http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?PageActio...&ProdID=494

Edited by electricrelish