[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not impressed with iTunes...

I Like Soup

Broke down and got an iPod. So, I now use iTunes for the full experience. I download music to my iPod for my trip to Austria...entire CDs I didn't even select pulled over to the iPod. I selected one song off a CD, it pulled the whole thing over. I tried putting a playlist together for my Dad and burning it to a CD...iTunes wanted to burn 698MB of songs to CDs by 20 song increments...

I am not impressed so far. Am I doing something wrong? (very possible I guess?) But really, how hard is it to select songs and have them be the only ones imported to your iPod. I call BS.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broke down and got an iPod. So, I now use iTunes for the full experience. I download music to my iPod for my trip to Austria...entire CDs I didn't even select pulled over to the iPod. I selected one song off a CD, it pulled the whole thing over. I tried putting a playlist together for my Dad and burning it to a CD...iTunes wanted to burn 698MB of songs to CDs by 20 song increments...

I am not impressed so far. Am I doing something wrong? (very possible I guess?) But really, how hard is it to select songs and have them be the only ones imported to your iPod. I call BS.

I think you should stick to cassette tapes.

a little more specific help for you.

watch this. if there are songs that you do not want to import, you uncheck the little box next to them.

watch this. it shows you how to build a playlist. Once you have your playlist built, there is a Burn Disc button at the bottom right of the screen. With your playlist displayed, hit this button and follow the prompts.

Definitely sounds like User Error on this one. I've never had any problems like that with iPods or iTunes. The only complaint that I have with them is that their selection of music to purchase is not comprehensive enough.

a little more specific help for you.

watch this. if there are songs that you do not want to import, you uncheck the little box next to them.

watch this. it shows you how to build a playlist. Once you have your playlist built, there is a Burn Disc button at the bottom right of the screen. With your playlist displayed, hit this button and follow the prompts.

:D

Well, I'm not seeing anything new so far...

That is why I am so disappointed. Check the checkbox and it is selected to be imported...right?, not rocket science and I am far from computer illiterate. That is why I was explaining; songs I didn't even select were pulled over. Check boxes should make this H8-proof even...:wacko:

Also, the burn disc thing at the bottom...got it. iTunes wanted to burn 20 song increment CDs when 1 CD should have sufficed (I even broke the list in to two separate playlists of roughly 84 songs each of 360mb and it still wouldn't do it).

Tonormanondog, contact churni's travel agent please and make a visit to Phoenix...thanks in advance! :D

Edited by I Like Soup

Tonormanondog, contact churni's travel agent please and make a visit to Phoenix...thanks in advance! :D

:wacko:

you may be beyond help ...

even if somehow songs are imported that you don't want, just delete them. but the check box thing does work ...

some other thoughts ...

check your preferences. under advanced, importing, i have mine set to ask before importing a CD. this gives me the opportunity to uncheck songs i may not want. under advanced, burning, make sure that you are burning an audio CD and not a data CD. in general, look around under preferences to see if anything else looks strange.

I tried putting a playlist together for my Dad and burning it to a CD...iTunes wanted to burn 698MB of songs to CDs by 20 song increments...

make sure you are looking at the total minutes of music you want to burn vs. the size if you are trying to make an audio CD. my cd-r's hold 80 minutes of music. also, note what format you are storing your music. you can fit more MP3s. vs. the native AIFF format.

again, check those preferences to be sure you have the right file formats for importing and that you are exporting to an audio CD.

your issue has to be in these settings ...

I'm also rather computer-literate and I was not very impressed with iTunes either. Not very intuitive... or at least one would expect Apple and the iNation to make it far more intuitive. Of course, it might be the fact that I was trying to pull songs from an old laptop, removable hard drive and my current music folders. :wacko:

I think I got it all solved after an hour or so of :D tinkering, re-installing/updating iTunes, etc.... but that still doesn't solve the problem with my iPod: trying to start from square one with it (read: delete everything off of it) and it simply won't do it. :D

I think you should stick to 8-track tapes.

Fixed.

It's easy once you get used to it. Look through the online help menus.

I hate the intuitive programs. Windows is always trying to figure out what you are trying to do and if you know what you are doing it's a huge pain in the ass.

Definitely sounds like User Error on this one. I've never had any problems like that with iPods or iTunes. The only complaint that I have with them is that their selection of music to purchase is not comprehensive enough.

+1

They don't seem to carry any AC/DC on there. My "Back in Black" cd, while working fine in the car, just won't transfer over to the computer. The songs skip and it's all f*ked up. So here I am like a doofus walking around listening to my Ipod with zero AC/DC on it. :wacko:

make sure you are looking at the total minutes of music you want to burn vs. the size if you are trying to make an audio CD. my cd-r's hold 80 minutes of music. also, note what format you are storing your music. you can fit more MP3s. vs. the native AIFF format.

again, check those preferences to be sure you have the right file formats for importing and that you are exporting to an audio CD.

your issue has to be in these settings ...

I'll dig around like you suggest. I tried burning an mp3 CD...so, it is only about the size your are burning, not the total minutes of songs. I'll keep ya posted...:damniPodstuff:

Overall, I very much like the idea of getting back in touch with my audio library. The iPod will allow me to do so far better than before (read: CDs just sitting in a 400 CD player).

That's why you steal music. It's not like musicians make any money off of the album sales anyways...

I don't steal anything. I buy what I want then rip it if I want it in a different medium. Right now CDs work fine for me because I prefer music to have some quality rather than listen to it through some tinny little ear bud thingy.

+1

They don't seem to carry any AC/DC on there. My "Back in Black" cd, while working fine in the car, just won't transfer over to the computer. The songs skip and it's all f*ked up. So here I am like a doofus walking around listening to my Ipod with zero AC/DC on it. :wacko:

turn on error correcting in the importing menu

i have some pretty beat up cd's and this did the trick.

I don't steal anything. I buy what I want then rip it if I want it in a different medium. Right now CDs work fine for me because I prefer music to have some quality rather than listen to it through some tinny little ear bud thingy.

You do know that you can listen to your ipod in your car or home theater with an adapter, right?

The continued retardation of I Like Soup...

So, I go through iTunes and select all of the tunes I would like to be on my Nano...yes, the little checkboxes on the left side. I make sure my setting is "sync iPod with selected songs by checkbox" or some such...and click on sync iPod...

Yep, you guessed it, no songs on my iPod. And, right before a business trip. This ain't rocket science and Apple is about to get a Nano thrown through their f'n window!! :wacko:

So, I go through iTunes and select all of the tunes I would like to be on my Nano...yes, the little checkboxes on the left side. I make sure my setting is "sync iPod with selected songs by checkbox" or some such...and click on sync iPod...

Yep, you guessed it, no songs on my iPod. And, right before a business trip. This ain't rocket science and Apple is about to get a Nano thrown through their f'n window!! :wacko:

Drag and drop you big dummy. :D

Maybe the wildebeast you bedded last night can help you out