[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what are you doing?

dmarc117

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own. Personally, I don't think things will get that bad but then again, I could be thinking like this because I don't have $20K lying around to stock up like these guys do...

Nothing. People have worried about this for years and all's well and will continue to be. Life for me and the fam couldn't be better right now. Just wish my father found a job so that my mother could regain her sanity.

I bought a pretty nice new First Aid kit.

And I have enough Pork and Beansto last me about a month. Other that that I am uckfed.

Which means you'll have enough natural gas to keep you going for a while...

On this point, I've thought about whether my folks should move in with us (our house is bigger and we have a pond full of fish) or us in with them (their property is 100x easier to farm and my dad already has a bunch of emergency preparedness stuff (generator, etc) there that wouldn't have to be moved). :wacko:

Other than shopping for a rifle, a handgun, some ammo and a deep freezer (all of which are good things to have anyhow), we're not really doing much differently. Wife wants to do some "square foot gardening", but that's how she rolls anyhow. She also like to cook and we've had a grain mill for years (although, we're all out of grain right now, so it's not doing us much good). :D

I take this seriously, because after Y2K, bird flu, wrapping my house in cellophane to protect against evil terrorist attacks on my family, and now swine flu... I don't think that the American people are ready to just freak out over something minor.

I'm digging a bomb shelter in my back yard

:wacko: My Dad was collecting DIY books from the A&P back in the 50's. $1/week/book, 26 books total. One was devoted to building a "Fallout (Not Bomb) Shelter" for minimum to maximum $$$$. Wish I still had it, as it would be an interesting read.

Yall had to be here in the 50's to REALLY appreciate a scare. "The Commies are coming", "We will bury you", and much more. It seemed a lot worse then than now, and considering no internet, 15 minute news shows, I think it was a lot more scary then. Yeah....age/youth played a roll.

I have about about 2 months worth of frozen food, and a years worth of canned food. I have about 2,000 gallons of gas. I have a generator that will run pretty much everything but the AC. I have 15,000 of water in the pool as well as a live creek about 100 yards from the house, and a lake a mile from the house. I also keep an additional 90 lb tub of granular chlorine on hand as well as about 500 purification tablets. I have over 1,000 rounds or .45acp, around 500 rounds of .45LC, 250 rounds of 454 Casull, 200 rounds of .38 spcl., 5000 rounds of .22LR, 200 rounds of .30-30, 200 rounds of .30-06, and about 100 rounds of .270 WSM. I also have 8 cases of shot gun shells, mostly in 7 1/2 shot. There is about 15 acres of woods around my house so there is plenty of wood for fuel. I also have plenty of first aid kits, and tools to barter.

About the only thin that has changed in the last year or so is I've increased my food storage from about 6 months to a year, which I would have done regardless of the economy though probably not quite as quickly, and I've bought some new fire power, but that was something I wanted to do anyway, the economy and Obama just gave me an excuse that I could sell to the wife. Basically the economy or Obama haven't made me do anything that I wouldn't have done eventually anyway, they did speed up the process by about a year or two.

ETA another thing I'm looking at doing is buy 100 to 200 acres in BFE East Texas. Again I'm rationalizing this as a need based on the current economic and political climate. I really just want a place to hunt that I can improve and not worry about spending time an money to fix up to only get kicked off by a land owner.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Nothing. If urban society goes to hell in a hand basket it won't matter what I have in my garage because I'm not sticking around long enough for it to matter. Stockpiling a cache of goods is only good if you can defend it against people who are hungrier and more desperate then you are, which is virtually impossible for one person to do in a densely populated area.

I have about about 2 months worth of frozen food, and a years worth of canned food. I have about 2,000 gallons of gas. I have a generator that will run pretty much everything but the AC. I have 15,000 of water in the pool as well as a live creek about 100 yards from the house, and a lake a mile from the house. I also keep an additional 90 lb tub of granular chlorine on hand as well as about 500 purification tablets. I have over 1,000 rounds or .45acp, around 500 rounds of .45LC, 250 rounds of 454 Casull, 200 rounds of .38 spcl., 5000 rounds of .22LR, 200 rounds of .30-30, 200 rounds of .30-06, and about 100 rounds of .270 WSM. I also have 8 cases of shot gun shells, mostly in 7 1/2 shot. There is about 15 acres of woods around my house so there is plenty of wood for fuel. I also have plenty of first aid kits, and tools to barter.

About the only thin that has changed in the last year or so is I've increased my food storage from about 6 months to a year, which I would have done regardless of the economy though probably not quite as quickly, and I've bought some new fire power, but that was something I wanted to do anyway, the economy and Obama just gave me an excuse that I could sell to the wife. Basically the economy or Obama haven't made me do anything that I wouldn't have done eventually anyway, they did speed up the process by about a year or two.

ETA another thing I'm looking at doing is buy 100 to 200 acres in BFE East Texas. Again I'm rationalizing this as a need based on the current economic and political climate. I really just want a place to hunt that I can improve and not worry about spending time an money to fix up to only get kicked off by a land owner.

:wacko:

Awesome.

Nothing. If urban society goes to hell in a hand basket it won't matter what I have in my garage because I'm not sticking around long enough for it to matter. Stockpiling a cache of goods is only good if you can defend it against people who are hungrier and more desperate then you are, which is virtually impossible for one person to do in a densely populated area.

That's why dead bodies are to stay on the front lawn. They are a signal to all that there are easier pickings elsewhere. I imagine specatularly explosive head shots would be particularly persuasive. :wacko:

That's why dead bodies are to stay on the front lawn. They are a signal to all that there are easier pickings elsewhere. I imagine specatularly explosive head shots would be particularly persuasive. :wacko:

You can make light if it amuses you, but we both know that in a worst case scenario you can't keep what you can't defend. And most urban/suburban homes offer poor defensive capabilities, at best. So if you aren't willing to reside some where with defensive capabilities then there is really no point in preparing to hunker down for a year or more. Now, stocking piling at a remote vacation home in the country for purposes of a tactical retreat... that's a different story.

:D My Dad was collecting DIY books from the A&P back in the 50's. $1/week/book, 26 books total. One was devoted to building a "Fallout (Not Bomb) Shelter" for minimum to maximum $$$$. Wish I still had it, as it would be an interesting read.

Yall had to be here in the 50's to REALLY appreciate a scare. "The Commies are coming", "We will bury you", and much more. It seemed a lot worse then than now, and considering no internet, 15 minute news shows, I think it was a lot more scary then. Yeah....age/youth played a roll.

We still did bomb drills when I started elementary school. :wacko:

Now, stocking piling at a remote vacation home in the country for purposes of a tactical retreat... that's a different story.

That is the argument I'm using with the wife right now in order to buy some hunting property. Besides, if things really do get bad, I don't think the game warden is going to enforce a bag limit.

We get juice off the grid, but we can get a generator to run the well. Live on a river, have some acres to acquire meat. I need more ammo, and maybe salt/sugar. But I have no problem shooting anyone I don't know right in the forehead from 300 yards if things go sour. I'd plant a garden but none of us eats vegetables. :wacko:

We're about 2000 yards from any asphalt. Come find me, we can use help in the bait hole... country boy will survive.

You can make light if it amuses you, but we both know that in a worst case scenario you can't keep what you can't defend. And most urban/suburban homes offer poor defensive capabilities, at best. So if you aren't willing to reside some where with defensive capabilities then there is really no point in preparing to hunker down for a year or more. Now, stocking piling at a remote vacation home in the country for purposes of a tactical retreat... that's a different story.

yep...any supplies definitely need to be kept secret and protected by firearms. i would use a 50 cal to crush the moral of any looters. when they see their komrade cut in half from 2000y, they wont come after my stuff. now i just need to go get all that stuff.