[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't taze me, sonny!

rocknrobn26

OK...I posted this so here is my comment. And my comments go along w/ much that has been posted.

Grandma was out of line. The Cop was in a "No Win" situation. As mentioned he could have tackled her, but then she ends up w/ hip, neck, knee problems. He could have called for a tow truck, but the old broad was running around like a loony. He had to control her first.

Bottom line...The Granny acted liked a 3 year old. She should have known better. Tazing can cause death! 400 Plus this year! I still feel she was wrong. I fell sorry for the cop!

Having not seen the video, I'd like to say that all old people should be tazered as much as possible.

I called the AARP HITLINE! Your ass is gone from this planet if you show it. We all have our GPS's working and know where you are.

Nice knowing you Atomic. :wacko:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you watch the video that kt linked? At 1:23 of that video she tells him "Take me to jail." Over and over you see her bring up the fact that she is a "72 year old woman" almost as a threat and continue to get in the officers face. He continues to try and get her to step back and at 1:51 she even says "Go ahead, taze me" and at 2:07 again says "I dare you." She was in no way, shape or form at all co-operative with the guy trying to do his job. The fact is she thought she could not only break the law by speeding, but also refuse to sign the ticket, and be non-compliant just because of her age and gender.

I do agree he could have gone to other steps to handle the situation, but if she had just signed the ticket in the first place it wouldn't have gotten that far anyway. Looks to me like she brought most of it on herself. :wacko:

Since when is being uncooperative with a police officer punishable by tazing?

Seriously. Think about this...she was speeding and then was flippant and she got tazed for it. It should never happen.

Since when is being uncooperative with a police officer punishable by tazing?

Seriously. Think about this...she was speeding and then was flippant and she got tazed for it. It should never happen.

So being an old lady puts you above the law? Gotcha! :wacko:

So being an old lady puts you above the law? Gotcha! :D

Not even slightly close to the core of the point.

How about: Being a police officer doesn't give you unfettered rights to bring violence on people because they called you a poopy-head.

She got stopped for speeding, refused to sign a ticket, and was flippant to the officer. In response he visited a violent assault on her person with, albeit small, potentially fatal consequences.

Perhaps Texas should just get on with it and reinstitute roadside night-sticking with people that are uncooperative. Less chance of a fatality that way. Not sure how they would hide the bruises though... :wacko:

First of all, she certainly instigated the situation. I can only imagine what her family gatherings must be like.

Secondly, the cop went too far. He should have let her go and mailed the ticket with a summons to appear before a judge where the tape could be brought into evidence against her.

First of all, she certainly instigated the situation. I can only imagine what her family gatherings must be like.

Can't argue that. What she should have gotten was a response that fit her actions.

Secondly, the cop went too far. He should have let her go and mailed the ticket with a summons to appear before a judge where the tape could be brought into evidence against her.

Precisely. The cop should be brought up on charges for battery IMO.

I think you guys are missing a crucial point. IIRC, you sign a ticket IN LIEU of being arrested. The signing of the ticket is offering your license as bail. To refuse to sign a ticket is to FORCE the officer to take you to jail.

I'm still not saying she deserved a tasing, but the cop was in a no-win situation. If he couldn't get her to sign the ticket he HAD to take her to jail. Furd, Yo, am I correct here?

I think you guys are missing a crucial point. IIRC, you sign a ticket IN LIEU of being arrested. The signing of the ticket is offering your license as bail. To refuse to sign a ticket is to FORCE the officer to take you to jail.

I'm still not saying she deserved a tasing, but the cop was in a no-win situation. If he couldn't get her to sign the ticket he HAD to take her to jail. Furd, Yo, am I correct here?

Then how are they allowed to mail tickets from traffic cameras? Not arguing your point so much as trying to figure this chit out.

Edited by Kid Cid

Then how are they allowed to mail tickets from traffic cameras? Not arguing your point so much as trying to figure this chit out.

There's a special law for the red-light cameras, at least here in GA. I don't think it's even a moving violation here, won't show up on your insurance/driving record. It's another BS gov't revenue measure.

This would need to be clarified by a Tejas attorney. In MA you are not required to sign a ticket.

There's a special law for the red-light cameras, at least here in GA. I don't think it's even a moving violation here, won't show up on your insurance/driving record. It's another BS gov't revenue measure.

Did you notice how many of them are being shut down after Georgia law was changed to make it so revenue production was banned from consideration of using them, such as justifications and requirements of a longer yellow light in those intersections. So many jurisdictions are shutting them down once negative revenue is coming from them.

It's another BS gov't revenue measure.

That pesky Obama again, no doubt.

This one is a no-brainer. The cop wrote her a ticket, she became beligerant, and then risked both their safety as she tried to bull past him back to her car to leave the scene. He warned her countless times in the process that if she did not cooperated, she would be tazed.

Could he have not tazed her? Probably. Do I blame him one bit? Nope.

People that pipe up to cops and act like assholes that are above the law better be ready to accept the consequences . I havent even watched the video but I assume its a beligerant old dousch bag showing this cop no respect. As Zia said he was in a no win. If he physically handles her she breaks a hip and he is an abusive Ogre. He tazed her and he is all over the news.

He should have let her go and mailed the ticket with a summons to appear before a judge where the tape could be brought into evidence against her.

If he did this. The dousch bags win

This would need to be clarified by a Tejas attorney. In MA you are not required to sign a ticket.

I am pretty sure that in Texas - as well as California for that matter - you have to sign the ticket as a promise to appear in court, if the violation warrants it, and/or pay the fine, etc.

On top of it, you realize they were on the side of an interstate with cars buzzing past at 65 mph.... and if you watch the video she was MORE than belligerent, with the cop being closest to the oncoming traffic.

The old hag pretty much got what she deserved and is lucky things didn't turn out worse.

I am pretty sure that in Texas - as well as California for that matter - you have to sign the ticket as a promise to appear in court, if the violation warrants it, and/or pay the fine, etc.

On top of it, you realize they were on the side of an interstate with cars buzzing past at 65 mph.... and if you watch the video she was MORE than belligerent, with the cop being closest to the oncoming traffic.

The old hag pretty much got what she deserved and is lucky things didn't turn out worse.

I can't really understand why anyone would think it's okay for a police officer to use violence on someone that 1) sped and 2) mouthed off. Say what you want about her actions, but it takes two to tango. She should never have been pulled out of the vehicle in the first place. That's on the police officer.

I will concede that if under Texas law the officer has to get her to sign or has to arrest her then that changes the situation. I hadn't thought of that angle, but then nobody has been confirmed that this is the case yet.

Gonna have to prove that one sonny, I call BULL SCHIT big time lulu.

Darin got it right.

That video linked in the first post was curiously edited. I looked around on youtube and found a longer version, which clearly shows the old lady being very confrontational.

That being said, that guy was easily twice her size and clearly was physically capable of restraining her. The tazer seems over the top to me, but frankly it never gets this far if she just signs the ticket like most law abiding citizens would do.

after watching that full video, i wanted to taze her.

People that pipe up to cops and act like assholes that are above the law better be ready to accept the consequences . I havent even watched the video but I assume its a beligerant old dousch bag showing this cop no respect. As Zia said he was in a no win. If he physically handles her she breaks a hip and he is an abusive Ogre. He tazed her and he is all over the news.

If he did this. The dousch bags win

I watched the video. He could have cuffed her easily if he tried. It appears he was screaming before she was. He lost his temper because someone wasn't obeying his orders on a traffic stop.

As for all this "She got what she deserved" stuff... it's not the cops job to deliver punishment. If he was in the right and had video of it, he could have easily let her go on her way and had her picked up and prosecuted later without putting society at risk. This guy is an idiot.

I can't really understand why anyone would think it's okay for a police officer to use violence on someone that 1) sped and 2) mouthed off. Say what you want about her actions, but it takes two to tango. She should never have been pulled out of the vehicle in the first place. That's on the police officer.

I will concede that if under Texas law the officer has to get her to sign or has to arrest her then that changes the situation. I hadn't thought of that angle, but then nobody has been confirmed that this is the case yet.

:wacko: Good God, Nick. Are you contending that ALL she did was 1) sped and 2) mouthed off? If that's the case, I highly recommend you watch the FULL video.

And, FWIW:

If you do not appear you will be found guilty, a fine will be added for failure to appear, and a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Quite possibly your driver’s license will also be suspended. Texas is the only exception. In Texas if you refuse to sign the ticket you will earn yourself a “Go Directly to Jail” card.

From: http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/speed...an-legends.html