[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Every-So-Often...

darin3

.... Meanwhile, I spent the first part of the morning negotiating a higher TI allowance with my landlord at the new joint...

Funny you say that. I've been giving some thought to starting up a side business where I would consult with people to negotiate better lease terms. Not the legal stuff - I'd leave that to a lawyer, though I know enough about leases that I could - just don't want the liability aspect of it.

I'd be interested to know how that goes.

Most "mom n' pops" (as opposed to chains with in-house real estate departments) have no clue what might be available to them if they only knew to ask. TI allowance, HVAC, co-tenancy, early terminations, free rent, etc... Ball is most definitely in the tenant's court by and large in negotiations currently.

Seriously. I'm interested to hear how that worked out for you. Is it a national LL or a local guy?

Upper 80's here. Heading to the golf course soon where I'll be spending quite a bit of time the next few days. More then normal. :D Tonite is the last week of the first half season, payouts for top 5 places after tonite, we're tied for first place. :D

Tomorrow will be a long day there, as we're putting on a benefit tournament/fundraiser in memory of one of our regular crew who passed away from cancer this winter. Lots of golf, side games, beer and food going on all day tomorrow and a band playing on the patio afterwards. :wacko:

Now that, aside from the friend passing away, sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'd be down with.

Need a cabana boy?

Need a cabana boy?

One of our side games today....we put a small duck boat in a pond off to the side of one of the tee boxes. We'll be selling 3 balls for $5. For every ball you can hit into the boat, your name goes in a drawing held after the tournament. Half the money collected there goes to the winner of the drawing. The other half to the foundation we're raising money for.

You're more then welcome to sit in the boat. :wacko:

Very rainy the last couple of weeks. Yesterday was a small respite, but it's in the forecast for the next week almost every day.

I don't care too much, save that it keeps me off my bike.

Speaking of bikes, I am looking at buying a new (used) one. Something like this

Upper 80s/low 90s all week with a lot of humidity...luckily the compressor fan on my AC unit crapped out this week so I've been living in my own sweat for the week :wacko:

Some friends are throwing a going-away dinner for me tonight followed by lots of drinking. Dinner with my parents and aunt and uncle tomorrow, followed by boating to watch the early fireworks here in Madison. Plus the weather gets back down the upper 70s tomorrow - real :D

The high today is 101. I get to go to an outdoor wedding tonight at 7:00. The temperature might be down to 95 by then. What kind of idiot plans an outdoor wedding in June in Texas? Really! With the exception of my best friends wedding on Tortala which was on the beach with a 45' cat moored about 100' of shore I've never worn anything other than a suit or tux to a wedding. I'm thinking of linen slacks and a really wild Tommy Bahama shirt or something, as a protest. I wouldn't even go but my wife is one of the bride's maids.

The high today is 101. I get to go to an outdoor wedding tonight at 7:00. The temperature might be down to 95 by then. What kind of idiot plans an outdoor wedding in June in Texas? Really! With the exception of my best friends wedding on Tortala which was on the beach with a 45' cat moored about 100' of shore I've never worn anything other than a suit or tux to a wedding. I'm thinking of linen slacks and a really wild Tommy Bahama shirt or something, as a protest. I wouldn't even go but my wife is one of the bride's maids.

You gotta sport the linen, protocol calls for it.

Funny you say that. I've been giving some thought to starting up a side business where I would consult with people to negotiate better lease terms. Not the legal stuff - I'd leave that to a lawyer, though I know enough about leases that I could - just don't want the liability aspect of it.

I'd be interested to know how that goes.

Most "mom n' pops" (as opposed to chains with in-house real estate departments) have no clue what might be available to them if they only knew to ask. TI allowance, HVAC, co-tenancy, early terminations, free rent, etc... Ball is most definitely in the tenant's court by and large in negotiations currently.

Seriously. I'm interested to hear how that worked out for you. Is it a national LL or a local guy?

It's a local LL but they're becoming pretty big players in the city I'm in, so it's not like some random dude who owns a particular building. That said, they courted me rather aggressively so I was able to negotiate a pretty good deal. For obvious reasons, it's likely not kosher to discuss specifics.

To be honest, this was mostly a renegotiation based on an agreement we had when I accepted the space to have my contractor take care of a few things that were supposed to be shell issues and bill them for it. So, there were not many issues that needed to be ironed out.

None the less, I'd be happy to discuss this further via pm or e-mail. In general, if they don't get you in the wash, they get you in the rinse. That is, most deals typically charge you less rent depending on how little TI you want. The few times I've come across someone just looking to throw money at me, I've realized that the location was ass and that someday I'd realize that it was impossible to make any money there.

They say 103-104, who knows, depends if your standing in the middle of a parking lot or under a shade tree. Looks like home, a/c and beer tonight. A cool restaurant and movie theatre tomorrow, and I might poke my head out the back door Sunday or not. Have things outdoors to do, but I might want to pace myself.

I went to the San Diego County Fair today. It's located on the coast where the temp was in the high 70's and partly cloudy. :wacko:

Run into any gang activity? I've stayed away this year from the Del Mar fair because of all the gangs.

Run into any gang activity? I've stayed away this year from the Del Mar fair because of all the gangs.

No gangs. The gate security was pretty tight, and it took a while to get through.

It's funny though.....you obviously can't bring any weapons into the Fair, but once you're inside you can buy knives and alot of other things in the exhibit halls that would be pretty lethal!!! :wacko:

we're putting on a benefit tournament/fundraiser in memory of one of our regular crew who passed away from cancer this winter.

ok...here's one for everyone to chew on...is this weird?

It's been near 90 all week here in southern mn. Any rain is passing showers and nothing for a couple days. At 1 pm today...for our "memorial" tournament...as we're about to send all the carts out...in a mostly cloudless sky,...a few wisps maybe....there's a freakin' rainbow across half the sky. I am just stunned at what i saw today. I had not one drop of alcohol in me at that time and for the next hour or two. Plenty since :wacko:

But I'm tellin' ya...80 people saw the same thing and i personally was.... :D

They say 103-104, who knows, depends if your standing in the middle of a parking lot or under a shade tree. Looks like home, a/c and beer tonight. A cool restaurant and movie theatre tomorrow, and I might poke my head out the back door Sunday or not. Have things outdoors to do, but I might want to pace myself.

Wait a sec...a guy over fifty who doesn't have an outdoor thermometer??? :wacko:

We may have to revoke your AARP card. :D

Wait a sec...a guy over fifty who doesn't have an outdoor thermometer??? :wacko:

We may have to revoke your AARP card. :D

:D Well, first check and see if he has a rain gauge. From what I understand, you just have to have one or the other. Both is ideal, of course, but not required.

• 2 weeks later...

Big D its nice here in Costa Mesa. Its a nice 77 degrees. Just got back from Big Bear Friday fun full of down hill mountain biking then on the 4th playing on the see doos and pontoon boat