[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Game systems

Clubfoothead

Wii, play stations, whatever.

So I gave up on them after my Sega Saturn died. Too many buttons. We don't have one, I don't have a desire to get one for myself althhough the Wii seems like it would be the coolest. I'll play Rock Band or whatever at parties but cannot possibly see myself going solo with that.

My daughter is 6. She plays games at the usual websites and likes to play around with photoshop. I like the fact she can do things on the computer at age 6 that I learned in 1993 at Moorhead State. She was able to figure out the new digital camera apparently on intution before I finished reading the manual.

So I'm wondering if there are useful things she can learn from these contraptions.

All I ever hear about are parents and the TV biiitching about how they make kids fat and lazy yet we are the only family among our friends and my daughter was the only kid in her preschool that I am aware of that does not have one. I'm not looking to spend money on another "educational toy", but I'm trying to figure out; however, if there is some skill or technological use factor thing that would say a kid should have access to one if their time on it is monitored?

If that makes any sense.

:wacko:

honestly, I'm moving closer to the whole "no TV, no videogames and less PC" phase...

there are things you can learn from your computer and there's a whole world of information even on youtube that people ignore because they are too busy watching people spoof songs or trip and fall like it's some sort of blooper reel...

do your daughter a favor and don't buy her a game system and keep her away from the TV.....of course that's just my opinion...I think TV has been used to make parents lazier and is a cheap way to keep your child busy while parents get some alone time and it's tougher nowadays since just about every kid under the age of 10 knows how to use a computer and god forbid the idea of not doing something that every other kid does...

and you are looking for an educational toy?....that's really tough to acquire without having some sort of BS attached to it....

I mean, she's currently 6.....I'd say get Rosetta Stone :wacko: so she can learn other languages while she's still in sponge mode.....but that's just me, take it with a grain of salt..

honestly, I'm moving closer to the whole "no TV, no videogames and less PC" phase...

there are things you can learn from your computer and there's a whole world of information even on youtube that people ignore because they are too busy watching people spoof songs or trip and fall like it's some sort of blooper reel...

do your daughter a favor and don't buy her a game system and keep her away from the TV.....of course that's just my opinion...I think TV has been used to make parents lazier and is a cheap way to keep your child busy while parents get some alone time and it's tougher nowadays since just about every kid under the age of 10 knows how to use a computer and god forbid the idea of not doing something that every other kid does...

and you are looking for an educational toy?....that's really tough to acquire without having some sort of BS attached to it....

I mean, she's currently 6.....I'd say get Rosetta Stone :D so she can learn other languages while she's still in sponge mode.....but that's just me, take it with a grain of salt..

I respectfully disagree. TV/Radio/Video Games/Game systems are a tool. Tools can build or break things. It's the good parent that helps the child to use a tool to BUILD things. Build knowledge, expand horizons, and teach.

I had a C64 back in 1983, and my daughter (Now 31 yo) still talks about a game I had for her. Can't remember the name but you walked thru caves and a wizard (that's it I think "Word Wizard") would pop up and make you spell a word to continue. She loved it, and it allowed us to interact on a different level. She learned a lot from that game. Good times!

Hell, I'm not even sure that FPS games are bad. But that's another thread.

FWIW...ALL electronics can be a tool or a crutch. Calculators? GPS Systems? Use it as a productive/learning tool and all will be good. Use it as a crutch and we dummify. PARENT'S GUIDANCE is the key.

Sorry no specific suggs Clubby! Just my :wacko:

Good luck finding the right system.

Hell, I'm not even sure that FPS games are bad.

Yeah, real educational. Comes in handy if they ever need to shoot stuff in real life using a game controller. :wacko:

Seriously video games CAN be educational, but I think any parent who buys a game system and thinks a kid will be satisfied w/those and only those is probably kidding themselves. But yeah you're right that parental overseeing is the key.

Basically if you can get by w/o a game system and the kid is content doing weird stuff like playing outside or reading books along w/the occasional tinkering on the PC, pat her and/or yourself and the wife on the back and do it. She "needs" one of those damn things like a hole in the head. Course if she gets into major "but all the other kids have one" mode, you can still buck it, but that's easier said than done. And so long as cost isn't going to break you and you don't let her vegetate on it for hours and hours on end all the time, I don't think it's that big of a deal anyway.

I am a video game player, so my perspective is skewed. I would much[/u ]rather plant and play some video games, board games, or such that watch tv or a movie. We don't have cable, so we play a lot of games instead. My daughter is 8 and we've been playing video games together since she was little. First on the PS2, now PS3 and Wii. My son is 6 and the two of them play on the Wii all the time. I like it because they are up and around moving, and some of the games are really fun to play with them. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and Raving Rabbids are big hits in our house. The two of them also play Lego Star Wars together, and you have to play co-op to get through the game. Makes them work together.

Honestly, they play for about an hour or so in the morning (now that it is summer) and that's about it for the day. They would much rather go swimming, play legos, or play outside than zombie in front of the tv. I think it is just the perspective you impart on them as they grow up that matters.

I respectfully disagree. TV/Radio/Video Games/Game systems are a tool. Tools can build or break things. It's the good parent that helps the child to use a tool to BUILD things. Build knowledge, expand horizons, and teach.

I had a C64 back in 1983, and my daughter (Now 31 yo) still talks about a game I had for her. Can't remember the name but you walked thru caves and a wizard (that's it I think "Word Wizard") would pop up and make you spell a word to continue. She loved it, and it allowed us to interact on a different level. She learned a lot from that game. Good times!

Hell, I'm not even sure that FPS games are bad. But that's another thread.

FWIW...ALL electronics can be a tool or a crutch. Calculators? GPS Systems? Use it as a productive/learning tool and all will be good. Use it as a crutch and we dummify. PARENT'S GUIDANCE is the key.

Sorry no specific suggs Clubby! Just my :wacko:

Good luck finding the right system.

I'm just not fond of anything that has to do with a TV nowadays...I'm personally trying to get away from all of that....

I grew up with video game systems so I'm not going to view things the same as some in this thread. But this is what I tell most people on the subject of video games vs. TV. Most of the time your kid is going to be using more of their brain playing a video game than they are watching TV. It's hard to argue that the "stories" on TV are so much better than the stories in games and they at least have to actively play the characters in video games. Neither is going to get your kid into Mensa but I just don't see how TV is really better than gaming. Wii, sounds like the best bet for how young your kids are. Personally, I can't wait until my kid gets older so hopefully we can play some games together.

I grew up with video game systems so I'm not going to view things the same as some in this thread. But this is what I tell most people on the subject of video games vs. TV. Most of the time your kid is going to be using more of their brain playing a video game than they are watching TV. It's hard to argue that the "stories" on TV are so much better than the stories in games and they at least have to actively play the characters in video games. Neither is going to get your kid into Mensa but I just don't see how TV is really better than gaming. Wii, sounds like the best bet for how young your kids are. Personally, I can't wait until my kid gets older so hopefully we can play some games together.

who are you referring to in the 1st sentence?

If it's me, I also grew up on videogames since pretty much day 1...

Wii for vaginal americans and ankle-biters

PS3 for gaming and blu-ray player

I don't have enough experience with them all (the game systems OR the ankle-biters) to dispute this, but I can say that the 2010 Tiger Woods game for the Wii is phenomenal... I bought it a couple of weeks ago, went home and played it for literally about 12 hours that first weekend... it's definitely safe to say that I don't swing the Wii "club" the exact same way that I play real golf. I was so sore that I felt like I had just gone through that first day of basketball practice in high school or college... muscles hurt that I didn't even know existed. :wacko:

I don't have enough experience with them all (the game systems OR the ankle-biters) to dispute this, but I can say that the 2010 Tiger Woods game for the Wii is phenomenal... I bought it a couple of weeks ago, went home and played it for literally about 12 hours that first weekend... it's definitely safe to say that I don't swing the Wii "club" the exact same way that I play real golf. I was so sore that I felt like I had just gone through that first day of basketball practice in high school or college... muscles hurt that I didn't even know existed. :wacko:

totally - I have fun playing Punch Out on the wii and am slowly coming around. I got the UFC game for my PS3 and have barely played it - but the Blu-ray part of it is great

who are you referring to in the 1st sentence?

If it's me, I also grew up on videogames since pretty much day 1...

Take it easy, it wasn't a real specific claim :wacko: . I just assumed that some of the people posting were a little more old school (or that the old school crowd would post in the thread eventually). You've sent me your PSN ID before, so yea... I kind of figured that you'd played a game or two.

Take it easy, it wasn't a real specific claim :wacko: . I just assumed that some of the people posting were a little more old school (or that the old school crowd would post in the thread eventually). You've sent me your PSN ID before, so yea... I kind of figured that you'd played a game or two.

nah it wasn't taken personal...I was just one of the 2?...posters in this thread who spoke negatively of gaming...

and as much as I like gaming...I find it pointless anymore..