[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the boy's first concert

tonorator

taking the 14yo to his first real concert along with his friend and his dad. blink-182, fall out boy, panic at the disco, and chester french. i know the first two, but have no idea about the last two. blink-182 has some songs i like and i like to jam at any concert, but i don't want to embarass the hell outta my kid. my guess is that he and his bud will try to ditch us ASAP, leaving me and the other dad to just oogle the scantily clad babes.

anyone have any advice, do's/don'ts to offer to newbie concert dad?

blink-182 has some songs i like and i like to jam at any concert, but i don't want to embarass the hell outta my kid.

Don't have any advice to offer.

:wacko: You liked I Miss You

And you once had an avatar of graemlins at a rock concert.

Edited by Big John

taking the 14yo to his first real concert along with his friend and his dad. blink-182, fall out boy, panic at the disco, and chester french. i know the first two, but have no idea about the last two. blink-182 has some songs i like and i like to jam at any concert, but i don't want to embarass the hell outta my kid. my guess is that he and his bud will try to ditch us ASAP, leaving me and the other dad to just oogle the scantily clad babes.

anyone have any advice, do's/don'ts to offer to newbie concert dad?

Blink (at least before their breakup) will do & say whatever they can to try to be offensive in their own immature way.

I told my sons (we went to see Sum41 last year) that while some language may be used at a concert, it wasn't for general use (i.e. around their mother) or the concerts would be seen as a bad influence and we would not go to others.

Blink (at least before their breakup) will do & say whatever they can to try to be offensive in their own immature way.

I told my sons (we went to see Sum41 last year) that while some language may be used at a concert, it wasn't for general use (i.e. around their mother) or the concerts would be seen as a bad influence and we would not go to others.

that's a great point. i know the f-bombs and other things will be flying. he has some explicit stuff on his i-pod and we've talked about that, but this takes it to another level.

my 18 y/o is going to see Blink next week at Hershey Park

ETA: He would never go and see the Fall out Boys as he is a dead ringer for Pete Wentz

What's wrong with this kid - does he know how much tail he'd get?

No input on the bands, but don't smoke Josh Gordon in front on him.

Sets a bad example ya know.

Yeah - like telling their Momma she's fat... :wacko:

Give the boys a little rope. Have a designated time and place they're going to check back with you, and make sure everyone has a cell phone with texting capabilities and reception before splitting up for however long you are comfortable with and clearly communicate to them. If your son checks in late, or doesn't respond to your texts, then they get to party standing next to you for the rest of the concert. If he's got a line on some chicks or something, then be as cool as he is responsible. Maybe have him check in via text every 30 mins instead of physically meeting you, or whatever you are comfortable with.

Whatever the rules/guidelines you set, just remember that a guy ALWAYS remembers his first concert. I remember mine...Johnny Cash. I have fond memories of that night. Just saying...try to the best of your abilities, within reason mind you, to give him a long leash and have fun...and above all ... ENJOY THE NIGHT!!

Whatever the rules/guidelines you set, just remember that a guy ALWAYS remembers his first concert. I remember mine...Johnny Cash. I have fond memories of that night. Just saying...try to the best of your abilities, within reason mind you, to give him a long leash and have fun...and above all ... ENJOY THE NIGHT!!

thanks taz! i'll try to do my best ...

great advice yo on giving them rope and having them check in. curious to see if they will want to break away or hang by us.

great advice yo on giving them rope and having them check in.

Just make sure they charge their phones before you leave for the show. At 14 he's probably still stoopid enough to think you'll fall for the ol' "my cell battery went dead and I couldn't find you" excuse.

Another way to "encourage" your son to check in with you, at least occasionally, is to make it so he has to come to you for money. Perhaps you could strategically "misplace" his wallet the night before? :wacko: You get my drift; if you're dolling out cash he's more apt to check in

Took my son at 10 to Bon Jovi in Central Park last year. Guard against too much activity during day - he was pretty tired partway through the concert. Then again, you've got 2 boys, age 14. Maybe YOU shouldn't have too much activity during the day.

This is my conversation with my son last night at the pool hall about the concert next week.

Dad: So Eric is is opening for Blink next week

Eric: :wacko: The F'ing Fallout boys

Dad: :D Atleast you might get laid

Eric: Yeah by a 13 y/o :D

Dad: If there is grass on the field :D

Eric: :D DAD

Pool Hall: Stunned silence

Dad: Well you still might get laid

This is my conversation with my son last night at the pool hall about the concert next week.

Dad: So Eric is is opening for Blink next week

Eric: :wacko: The F'ing Fallout boys

Dad: :D Atleast you might get laid

Eric: Yeah by a 13 y/o :D

Dad: If there is grass on the field :D

Eric: :D DAD

Pool Hall: Stunned silence

Dad: Well you still might get laid

nice. a minds a terrible thing not to play with