[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Woman that drove the wrong way on the Highway

whomper

I'm not sure how far this story has spread on a national level but locally it has been a pretty big story. This woman drove the wrong way on a Highway in NY and slammed head on into another car killing 3 men in that car, herself, her daughter and 3 nieces. Only her son survived. Really tragic heartbreaker. Today they release the autopsy/ toxicology results and accident report.

She was high and very drunk :wacko:

This bitch did an imeasurable amount of destruction to many many lives. Horrible story

NY prosecutor: Wrong-way crash driver drunk, high

By FRANK ELTMAN (AP) – 23 hours ago

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — A Long Island mother was drunk and high on Josh Gordon when she drove the wrong way for almost two miles on a highway before smashing head-on into an SUV, killing herself and seven others, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

The fiery July 26 crash on the Taconic Parkway killed the woman, her 2-year-old daughter, three young nieces and three men in the SUV. The woman's 5-year-old son survived. The occupants of a third vehicle sustained minor injuries.

A medical examiner found Diane Schuler's blood-alcohol level was 0.19, more than twice the state's legal limit of 0.08, Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore said in a statement Tuesday. The autopsy also revealed that Schuler was impaired by Josh Gordon, DiFiore said.

State police have been investigating why the businesswoman, who was a regular visitor to an upstate New York campground, would have been driving toward her Long Island home the wrong way on a highway she reportedly had driven many times.

Investigators did not immediately comment on the prosecutor's report.

Schuler's husband, Daniel Schuler, told investigators that everything seemed fine when he and his wife left a Sullivan County campground at about 9:30 a.m. He went on a fishing trip while his wife headed home with the children.

Diane Schuler, 36, wound up going south in the northbound lanes as motorists sought in vain to get her attention. Six drivers called 911 before the collision, which happened about 35 miles northwest of New York City.

Witnesses reported seeing Schuler's red Ford minivan driving erratically, state police said Monday. They said the van was straddling two lanes, tailgating, flashing its headlights and beeping the horn.

Others saw the vehicle veering from one lane to another and one witness said it appeared as if she was attempting to pass him on the shoulder of the highway. Another witness said the van drove across a grass divider at a service area.

Schuler called her brother — the father of the three nieces who died — just after 1 p.m., saying she was feeling ill and may have been disoriented. The brother, Warren Hance, told her to stay put and he would come to meet her, but she apparently disregarded those instructions.

An attorney who served as a family spokesman at funerals last week did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Floral Park village police blocked access to the Hance home and said no one was there to comment. There was no answer when a reporter knocked on the door of the Schuler family home in West Babylon.

Ii watched a low-speed drunk driving accident on Saturday night after the Phish show.

Trying to get out of the top lot at Red Rocks was a pointless effort. I hopped in my car and pulled out of my spot about 20 feet and then stopped. And waited. After 5 minutes of no movement whatsoever, I turned the car off.

As I was sitting there, I watched an incredibly drunk group of people near me. For about 15 minutes they were yelling at each other and falling down and chugging beers. Eventually they hopped in the car. Several people tried to intervene with the driver saying "Don't drive", but he wasn't changing his mind. Finally, there was some cute girl yelling at him and he was yelling at her, and she ended by just sticking a finger in his face and saying "Don't F Up. Listen, dumbass. Don't you F up."

So they hit the gas and shoot forward right in front of me. Never mind that traffic literally has not moved 2 inches in 20 minutes... this guy is going to fly out of the lot. :wacko: So he's perpendicular to me, 3 inches from my front bumper, and he starts cutting the wheel toward me! He's seriously going to hit me with the side of his car. Someone in his car actually gives me a dirty look and yells at me not to hit them. I hold up my keys and say "My car is off, and the E-brake is on. I haven't moved in 20 minutes, dumbass." This confuses them a lot.

So traffic starts moving, and not 50 feet away, that guy smashes into another car. That did not improve the lot exit speed. I seriously hope that guy got arrested... but if he was smart, he would have just Ted Kennedy'd his way to a different lot and hitched home.

People are dumb.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Schuler called her brother — the father of the three nieces who died — just after 1 p.m., saying she was feeling ill and may have been disoriented. The brother, Warren Hance, told her to stay put and he would come to meet her, but she apparently disregarded those instructions.

This is a very weird part of the story. Typically, when people are effed up like that, they don't call friends/family to say that they are 'ill'.

This is a very weird part of the story. Typically, when people are effed up like that, they don't call friends/family to say that they are 'ill'.

The brother even called 911 after he got that call. They just couldnt find the van in time. Not blaming the cops. It just all happened too fast and was to bizarre of a situation. I think 6-7 people that were on the highway called 911. It would have been next very tough for the cops to find and stop her before any accident happened

Edited by whomper

A guy I work with had this happen to a friend(22 yo) of his about 2 months or so ago.....his friend and another friend were heading home around 11pm when a drunk that was driving on the wrong side of the highway hit them head on and killed his friend (the passenger luckily lived)...for the drunk it was his 3rd(i think) DUI

It is a miracle that the son survived. I really hope that kid pulls through to give at least a small glimmer of something good with this situation. If the son makes a full recover and can remember anything I wonder if they will question him and if he could shed more light on what was happening in that car.

I am not sure but I am thinking that .19 is not drunk enough to realize you are driving the wrong way on a highway that far. It is drunk but is it that drunk? Wonder if there were other issues that together with the drinking caused this much confusion??

I am not sure but I am thinking that .19 is not drunk enough to realize you are driving the wrong way on a highway that far. It is drunk but is it that drunk? Wonder if there were other issues that together with the drinking caused this much confusion??

Dunno. Wiki says .20 is enough to render someone unconscious. Seems plausible that .19 might be enough to not realize you were driving the wrong way.

Like Wiegie said she was high too. Another point to your question. I read in the paper today the husband wants the body exhumed. He said she suffered from Diabetes and had a big abcess in her mouth and he feels something triggered her to do what she did. The people that did the original autopsy and tox tests stand by their official opinion that nothing else lead to her state of mind other than the booze and pot.

ETA: he is saying the abcess may have lead to some kind of interaction with the brain

Edited by whomper

Like Wiegie said she was high too. Another point to your question. I read in the paper today the husband wants the body exhumed. He said she suffered from Diabetes and had a big abcess in her mouth and he feels something triggered her to do what she did. The people that did the original autopsy and tox tests stand by their official opinion that nothing else lead to her state of mind other than the booze and pot.

ETA: he is saying the abcess may have lead to some kind of interaction with the brain

Of course he wants an exhumation and another autopsy done...the families of the people she murdered are now suing him in a wrongful death case. He has to prove that it wasn't her lack of control that did this...it was her sickness...

That woman cannot die enough times for me. Sorry to say it but it is how I feel...

a friend of mine has diabetes and just told me today a few times in her life when her blood sugar went real low that she totally zoned out and was spaced out ...totally out of touch and one time when she was at work when it happened , all the characters in her email looked like hieroglyphics (spell check please ) to her ..she even called a co-worker over and asked her if she saw the same thing she was seeing

i am not saying that this woman's diabetes led her to drink and smoke pot , but what i am saying is sometimes things are not necessarily as clear as they look

in the end i pray for all those who are suffering at this tragedy

Edited by isleseeya

a friend of mine has diabetes and just told me today a few times in her life when her blood sugar went real low that she totally zoned out and was spaced out ...totally out of touch and one time when she was at work when it happened , all the characters in her email looked like hieroglyphics (spell check please ) to her .
I believe you mean hypoglycemia (the condition) or hypoglycemic (what you are when you have the condition). It's low blood sugar. My MIL is diabetic, poorly manages it, and routinely goes low. My wife isn't technically diabetic, but usually has low blood sugar. When either one of them go low, it's very noticeable as they first get very slap happy, but then quickly crash and get pretty lethargic "drunk" like.

If she did go low, combining that with 2x the legal limit plus Josh Gordon, I have no doubt that she would not have any reasonable control over her driving abilities.

I believe you mean hypoglycemia (the condition) or hypoglycemic (what you are when you have the condition). It's low blood sugar. My MIL is diabetic, poorly manages it, and routinely goes low. My wife isn't technically diabetic, but usually has low blood sugar. When either one of them go low, it's very noticeable as they first get very slap happy, but then quickly crash and get pretty lethargic "drunk" like.

If she did go low, combining that with 2x the legal limit plus Josh Gordon, I have no doubt that she would not have any reasonable control over her driving abilities.

Based on everything i've read the combination is probably the explanation. Not that that excuses her at all.