[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Little Ant Bite.....

jaxfactor

wasn't an ant bite at all. This past week has been weird to say the least. As some of you may know a week ago Sunday I got bit by what I thought was an ant or two right between my two little toes. It started out feeling like a fire ant bit me but I didn't see any bug on me. Well, after 2 days of itching and pain from the bite, my foot starts to swell big time. Then my ankle. I look between my toes(have to get a mirror to do this) and it looks absolutely raw. My skin was basically rotting away. Then I see this hole towards the bottom of my toe where it connects to the foot.

Well, stupid me kept working last week. I had Friday and Saturday off so I figured I'd give my foot plenty of rest over the weekend. So Saturday night I look between my toes and it's now all black, the the hole is still prominent. I know at this point that this was no ant bite. I went over to marie's mother's place Sunday and she screamed at me to go to the Dr., that it was a spider bite. A Brown Recluse to be exact. She was correct. I was starting to get these incredible headaches in the back of my head towards my neck and was worried that this had something to do with it. So I went to the Dr. today and he gave me some kind of ointment to apply and an antibiotic to take. He also gave me some pain meds for the headaches and said it had nothing to do with the bite. Just a very bad tension headache and if it doesn't get any better to come back and see him. The black around my toes had already almost disappeared but the hole was still there. Doc said it was already healing quite nicely.

H e said I was lucky that I'm not alergic to spider bites like some people are. Brown Recluse bites can actually kill you if gone untreated. I do feel lucky as I am alergic to fire ants and bees/wasps. Hell, I was pretty stupid not to get it looked at earlier. If Marie were here, she would have made me go to the Dr., no doubt. I guess I need to watch myself and not be so stubborn about going to see a doctor.

So, what have I learned form this? BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS SUCK!!!

I have a scar on my hand where a spider bit me and they think it was a brown recluse. My hand swelled up over night and I had red streaks running up and down my arm because of blood poisoning. I still hate ants more, but oh yeah, me and spiders are not on good terms either.

Brown Recluse = one bad-ass spider!!!!!!

I have had patients who have been bitten, and the bite sites are never pretty.

I'm happy you're on the mend. You lucked out.

About five years ago my dad got bit by a spider. They still can't figure out what kind. He's been to the wound clinic off and on for the last five years so they can scrape away the dead skin in hopes new healthy skin would grow over it. A couple years ago he had to get some veins that run through his leg severed, so blood would stop running to it and making it worse. Now his entire leg has been purple for years. The wound was looking a little better. Recently it started oozing and becoming very painful again. They just did a skin graft. If it doesn't start to get better soon, the only remaining step is amputation. I'll never be able to look at a spider the same again. Just be thankful they were able to identify what it was.

They are nasty little f'ers. I'm glad to hear that you did get it taken care of and that it is going to heal quickly. If you even think it looks like it's going bad again, promptly get yo ass back to the doctor.

Yikes! Our health and safety training for work covers brown recluse spiders, nasty little mofos and the images of the bites make me cringe. I know I gave you a little razzing for fire ants, but really I'm glad you figured out what it was and you're going to be OK.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Dude, you shoulda claimed it happened on your route then you could be off on disability for years... :wacko:

Glad you caught it though.

Thanks for all the kind words all! I really do feel lucky. Yeah, the Postal Service is frowning on giving people disability. There are a couple people in our PO who were milking the system claiming that they could no longer carry mail. One dude was actually on light duty(not in our office) for close to 5 years. Whatever the PO did to threaten his situation worked as he's back to carrying mail again. Amazing how the threat of losing one's job makes your health remarkably better. Who needs a doctor when you have the hammer of the Postal Service? :D

Just taking it easy today. Getting ready to pop in a video(The Haunting In Connecticut) and kick back and let the pain meds take their course. Hell, the spider bite feels fine now. It's the headaches that worry me. I don't get headaches very often, unless I'm hung over. Don't like taking pain meds as it puts me out of it. But what the hell, I'm following doc's orders.

A guy I work with got bit recently by a brown recluse and was in the hospital for 2 days getting IV antibiotics. Funny thing is he thought it was lyme disease as he found a deer tick in the same spot about a week before.

Don't F with the brown recluse