[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it normal to steal from work?

Skippy

Is it normal to steal from work?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Just a simple yes or no at this spot but feel free to explain in the topic.

• Yes
    • No
    • Whatever Puddy would do.

That is one of the questions that I had to answer when I was being put though a bunch of questions and tests to get double secret clearances to a restricted area of Pittsburgh during the up coming G20 Summit.

I do not want to tell you my answer but I did answer it very honestly, maybe that is why they ask, but I do wonder what the Huddle masses think. untateve can come along and explain why they ask that question and what they want to hear at any time as I really do wonder.

Edited by Skippy

To me the question is asking if it is normal to steal from work and not specifically asking the person the question is being presented to if it is normal for them to steal....so with that said I will say that it in retail internal theft far outweighs that of external theft therefore it would seem that it is normal to steal from work :wacko:

I take computer paper from work. I have also taken many cabs for work appointments that I paid for out of pocket and didnt ask for reembursment on. It all balances out. IMO if you steal big it is a problem. If you snag an office supply here or there ..Meh..

Edited by whomper

To me the question is asking if it is normal to steal from work and not specifically asking the person the question is being presented to if it is normal for them to steal....so with that said I will say that it in retail internal theft far outweighs that of external theft therefore it would seem that it is normal to steal from work :wacko:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Could be a specific question aimed at you - do you steal from work and consider it normal? or an opinion one - do you think people consider it normal to steal from work?

No, it's not normal, IMO.

I'll walk out with a pad here and there. I like to write - so when its slow - I am usually writing on a pad. One weekends that pad'll either come home with me - or a bunch of pages from it will come home from me. I also have a habit of carrying pens behind my ear. This'll cause me to walk off with 2-4 pens a week.

I never looking in a supply closet though as ask myself - what do I need.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: Skippy, Caveman_Nick, untateve

Waiting to see the point of this question and if I answered it correctly.

BTW - my answer was "yes" it is normal. I will explain my thoughts a little later but that was my answer.

While I didn't steal things from places I worked when I worked I answered yes because I do know that others take things from work without even thinking of it as stealing. So it is normal.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.

People steal time without giving it a second thought. People walk away with office supplies, (as small as they may be they are not thiers), and never give it a second thought. People sit and type messages to a message board while at work and while it feels like they are doing nothing wrong, they are stealing time. :wacko:

And for me the answer was in the wording. If the question was is it okay, or is it accecptable then the answer would have been no. However, is it normal just makes me look at everything that I see ever single day and say that it is indeed very "normal".

I still wonder what the correct answer really is.

Edited by Skippy

I take computer paper from work. I have also taken many cabs for work appointments that I paid for out of pocket and didnt ask for reembursment on. It all balances out. IMO if you steal big it is a problem. If you snag an office supply here or there ..Meh..

+1

Do I spend time on FF at work? Yes.

Do I print out cheatsheets and other non-work related things at work with work paper and printers? Yes.

Do I regularly take an extra Coke from the fridge to drink on the way home? Yes.

All constitutes stealing IMO if you want to drill down to the letter of the law.

That being said,

Do I regularly stay late and work weekends when necessary despite being on salary and not getting paid for it? Yes.

Do I regularly incur business costs that I don't get reimbursed for? Yes.

Does my boss know all of the above? Yes.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Could be a specific question aimed at you - do you steal from work and consider it normal? or an opinion one - do you think people consider it normal to steal from work?

No, it's not normal, IMO.

I agree with Ursa.

I would like to hear from some of the no voters.

To me a no vote sort of means that you must work in some sort of place that none of the theft that any of us mention is taking place. I mean to me, the guy that goes outside to smoke and is not on a break is stealing time. The guy that only needed two rubberbands is indeed stealing. That bic pen = stealing. Talking on the phone while not doing your work = stealing. I could go on and on but to me these are all stealing and while I will say that it is wrong to do, it is indeed normal in my world.

Now did I answer the question the way the they wanted it to be answered or are they looking for someone not thinking as deep as I was?

Did they select the word "normal" on purpose?

I'm salary...they don't pay me overtime, so it's not "stealing" when I'm on the innernets or a personal call between 9-5. I've printed cheat sheets and stuff on my office printer, but also don't ask to be reimbursed for late dinners like others do. The company is coming out ahead on that. Drinks and snacks are provided by the company for everyone -- including temps.

In the long run, I'd imagine the company is stealing from me since I work all crazy hours alot of times when I could leave at 5:00 PM...especially since we laid off a bunch of workers.