[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New tardiness policy at the local high school

Rebellab

How often are late for work?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. In a month

• Everyday
    • 1 to 5 times
    • 6 to 10 times
    • 11 to 15
    • More than 15 less than everyday
    • Never

There is a big uproar in my community. The high school decided a week before school started to implement a new procedure. At the beginning of class the door of the classroom will be locked. Anyone left in the halls will be taken to the lunchroom where they will remain for the duration of the period. The student will lose 25% of their grade earned that day. They will be allowed to make up the class with an extra credit assignment from the teacher. The students were informed of this the first day of school in an assembly of the whole student body, and then again during homeroom that week. There was a "practice week" where everyone was giving a free pass to get back into class. So now it has been in effect for about three weeks. Suddenly all the parents are up in arms that this is cruel and unusual punishment. BTW they have 5 minutes between classes and there are a total of 1200 kids grades 9 - 12. So it is all in one building.

In my opinion, high school students need to be accountable for their actions and it is about time someone has stepped up and made then accountable. When the real world comes knocking in a year or two, they will need to be on time to keep a job, etc. So what does the huddle say?

Edited by Rebellab

I think it would be interesting if it were 'Open Season' on those roaming the halls once the doors are locked and the hall monitors were allowed to shoot those that are late. That would show them.

shirley you are not advocating moider here ... you could never get such a thing past the school board.

shirley you are not advocating moider here ... you could never get such a thing past the school board.

No No.... They are breaking the rules. Rule breakers need harsh punishment. School boards need to understand that. Time to get tough!

And don't call me Shirley. :wacko:

In a school of 1200, I can see how you have a long walk from one class to your locker to your next class ... and it can be a real pain if you have to haul around books / projects / etc. all day just so you don't get stuck on the five minute time limit.

Give 'em an extra minute or two, and it sounds ok, I guess.

:wacko:

Accountability = good

Zero tolerance = generally bad (squirts? question for teacher after previous class? etc?)

BTW, I'm NEVER late for work.

...only because I'm self employed...

If I worked for someone else, I'd be "late" 80% of the time, I'm sure. But, I'd also probably be closing the place down 80% of the time, too. :blech:

Edited by muck

It is up to the teacher as far as I know considering a reasonable excuse. Restroom etc. I see the point of losing a grade for the period on both sides. One being you are punished if you are just a few seconds late and teacher doesn't believe your excuse or whatever. However, if there is no real consequence to being sent to study hall, then if you didn't like the teacher or class just don't go, so there needs to be some sort of deterrent.

At the school my teenage son goes to, after 3 tardys they have to do one hour of detention during lunch hour. It seems to work fine. Some mornings when I am a cutting it close getting him to school ,he will get on my case not wanting to be tardy.

Edited by Missoula Griz

This generation of teenagers is the worst ever, lazy as hell. They aren't passionate about anything and have no work ethic. I don't support violence in the school system, but the paddle that hung on the principal's wall when I was a kid worked well enough hanging on the wall.

The kids that arrive late probably spends the rest of the class disrupting it for everyone else anyway. 90+% of the time, it is not a good reason as to why they are late.

Some teenager stuck his foot out to trip my 7 year old at the local football game Friday night when I was standing right there! I would have gone to jail if my 7 year old didn't jump over his foot. I wanted to drop the hammer on that kid. 10 minutes later, my boy was in the port-o-john and a kid rocked it from behind thinking his friend was in it. Big mistake.

At my old high school they used a demerit system. Every student had a demerit card, and if you get 5 demerits you get a detention. You get a demerit for things like being late to class, chewing gum in class, dress code violations (including having your shirt untucked), etc. It worked pretty well. My high school was about the same size as the high school in question here, with a similar time limit between classes. It was 5 minutes my first 3 years there, then they bumped it down to 4 minutes my senior year. Despite that, most everyone had time to come back to their lockers, sit and chat for a bit, then head off to their next class with time to spare. If you had to go to the bathroom or something and didn't make it to your next class in time, you could go to the office and get a pass, or if you were talking with the teacher from your previous class late they could also give you a pass. There was really no excuse for being late to a class for us, and I don't see why there should be one for the high school in question either.

This generation of teenagers is the worst ever, lazy as hell. They aren't passionate about anything and have no work ethic. I don't support violence in the school system, but the paddle that hung on the principal's wall when I was a kid worked well enough hanging on the wall.

I think this is as much a statement about the parents as it is the kids.

Some teenager stuck his foot out to trip my 7 year old at the local football game Friday night when I was standing right there! I would have gone to jail if my 7 year old didn't jump over his foot. I wanted to drop the hammer on that kid. 10 minutes later, my boy was in the port-o-john and a kid rocked it from behind thinking his friend was in it. Big mistake.

Tree branching is deserved here.

Have we become a tardy society. I am never late for anything. If I am, I am calling prior to my arrival to let someone know. A long time ago one of my employers that treated me very well told me that an employee should be to work 10 minutes before their time of work. That way they are ready to work when the time comes. I try to live by that, it is not always 10 minutes, but I am always early. Do people really not care that they are late?

Have we become a tardy society. I am never late for anything. If I am, I am calling prior to my arrival to let someone know. A long time ago one of my employers that treated me very well told me that an employee should be to work 10 minutes before their time of work. That way they are ready to work when the time comes. I try to live by that, it is not always 10 minutes, but I am always early. Do people really not care that they are late?

Call it justification or enormous ego, but I have (pretty much) no internal clock.

The concept of the passage of time eludes me. I will focus on something and completely lose track of time. As a result, I am late for many things. And, I feel awful about it pretty much all the time.