[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Valuable WR on NYG

Capt. Stanky

I didn't. I guess Smith's drops just stood out more because they seemed very catchable to me.

Were we watching the same game? I thought both of Smith's misses were more due to a bad throw by Eli. The announcers seemed to think the same thing. One was underthrown when he was wide open over the middle. The other was on a rollout where Smith was once again wide open and Eli just overthrew him. I agree that Manningham is the flashier of the two, but I think Smith will be the safer play week in and week out.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how players earn starting spots, by making the most of their opportunities. That's two weeks in a row where he's come into a game and came through big.

And let's do the math -- Hixon was waived by Denver and picked up by the Giants because of his special teams abilities. He's basically a seat warmer for the draft picks the Giants expect to be their future at WR. Manningham was a third rounder last year who is considered a first round talent, had he played out his last year of eligibility at Michigan. He's quick and gets separation, they love his work ethic, and Eli trusts him. After a year of not getting much playing time because he was raw and injured, he's now learned the system and is ready to step up to the next level. Next year he could be one of those magical third year WRs we like to talk about.

Understood, but I don't think anyone is saying (at least I'm not) that Hixon is a danger to start. He is, however, a danger to take more than a few looks away from Manningham if/when he is healthy. Same goes for Nix. I don't see either of these guys as starter quality right now but I do see them having a role.

I just don't see these guys taking too much away from Smith because the possession guy who is always open underneath. He'll be the consistent producer.

What happens when Hixon and Nicks come back ?

I like MM alot and SS alot as well. Both looked real good. I think MM has a lot of potential and was happy I got him in a few leagues from waivers last week but :wacko: now I missed him in some. I thought there was no one of value in the waivers this year but depending on how long Hixon and Nicks are out so maybe I was a little off but I wonder if Hixon being out was what pumped MM up so much but MM did look good last week as well.

Were we watching the same game? I thought both of Smith's misses were more due to a bad throw by Eli. The announcers seemed to think the same thing. One was underthrown when he was wide open over the middle. The other was on a rollout where Smith was once again wide open and Eli just overthrew him. I agree that Manningham is the flashier of the two, but I think Smith will be the safer play week in and week out.

agreed - while I think both balls were catchable, I can't fault Smith for not catching them . . . they would've been remarkable catches if made

Talking with my buddy yesterday about this, and I'm comparing Smith to Bobby Engram at his peak production....with more upside. Very consistent scorer, in PPR he'll have a better year than MM when it's all said and done.

Manningham has a higher ceiling, but will get the points in bunches.

Really depends what you're looking for.

even after watching the Giants/Skins matchup in week 1, I went out and grabbed Manningham in my local because he just seems to have a burst of explosiveness after the catch...

my only ptoblem was not starting him in week 2 while having Randy Moss, Lance Moore and Ted Ginn Jr. as my WR's...

he could have easily started over either of the WR's not named Moss this week....

at least I still got the win anyways, but Manningham would have made it much easier..

Shoot! I already cut Ginn, lol. If I see BOTH Manningham and Smith available, I'm going with Smith. If Nicks and Hixon are both 100% healthy, I don't see them cutting into Smith's PT. Not sure if the same can be said for ManHam. In a H2H league, I might be able to count on Smith EACH week more then Mnghm.

What happens when Hixon and Nicks come back ?

Hixon will probably end up being the 3rd WR is MM continues to play well...as for Nicks, no Giants rookie WR has ever caught more than 16 receptions...nicks was supposed to buck that trend. Now that he will fall behind with this injury, i don't seem him playing a prominent role in the offense until next year.

while I think Manningham has more "big" play potential, I'd rather have Smith. On third downs, Manning looked for Smith. I don't remember him having any drops. In fact, I thought his stats could have been much better if Manning had been more accurate. I can think of three instances where Smith was wide open, and Elitargeted him, but missed him. He could easily have had another 50+ yards.

Manningham came pretty close to dropping that TD too. Kudos for having the concentration for pulling it in, but the catch was not difficult and should have been made cleanly. I don't think Nicks or Hixon will have much consistent fantasy production this year.

I think they both will be solid fantasy WR's this year.

even after watching the Giants/Skins matchup in week 1, I went out and grabbed Manningham in my local because he just seems to have a burst of explosiveness after the catch...

my only ptoblem was not starting him in week 2 while having Randy Moss, Lance Moore and Ted Ginn Jr. as my WR's...

he could have easily started over either of the WR's not named Moss this week....

at least I still got the win anyways, but Manningham would have made it much easier..

I also have Manningham and Ginn. I'm as big an Ohio State fan as they come, but Mr. Ginn gets a permanent seat on the bench in favor of the Wolverine if he fails to show anything tonight..

I also have Manningham and Ginn. I'm as big an Ohio State fan as they come, but Mr. Ginn gets a permanent seat on the bench in favor of the Wolverine if he fails to show anything tonight..

well, for tight now...Moore rides the pine in favor of Ginn and Manningham...

Moore has to show me he is healthy...and then make a play when healthy before getting the nod again...

• 2 weeks later...

During this last game you could see a very telling indicator of how OTHER teams view ssmith and manningham.

manningham had rolled safety coverage over the top ALL DAY where SSmith had single coverage, that he routinely burned.

manningham is the explosive big play guy that is more worrisone to defensive coordinators with his size and speed. More teams will play it safe over the top with manningham, and concede the 5 yard underneath route to SSMith, IMO.

Now after this game, this might change with SSMIth abusing single coverage....but we will see. I think SSMith is the better fantasy and PPR play due to his consistency and great hands, but manningham has the better probability of putting up a HUGE game, but then be pedestrian like this week.

During this last game you could see a very telling indicator of how OTHER teams view ssmith and manningham.

manningham had rolled safety coverage over the top ALL DAY where SSmith had single coverage, that he routinely burned.

manningham is the explosive big play guy that is more worrisone to defensive coordinators with his size and speed. More teams will play it safe over the top with manningham, and concede the 5 yard underneath route to SSMith, IMO.

Now after this game, this might change with SSMIth abusing single coverage....but we will see. I think SSMith is the better fantasy and PPR play due to his consistency and great hands, but manningham has the better probability of putting up a HUGE game, but then be pedestrian like this week.

Good post.

Mario also had a TERRIBLE day of stone hands. He flat dropped 3 passes that would've tacked on 30-40 more yards, and the one 40 yarder he did haul in, he bobbled repeatedly before securing it. If he catches that ball in stride he might've gone for a TD but he had to slow down playing bobbly before he secured the football. One of his drops went right through his hands into the arms of a defender that resulted in a pick which by no means was Eli's fault. He would've had a bigger game if he didn't juggle/drop all day long. He was seeing double coverage on multiple deep routes, but what was encouraging from a fantasy perspective was how many times they tried to go up top to him anyways. We'll see how this evolves now that Nicks is healthy again. He looked terrific on that TD run.

Mario also had a TERRIBLE day of stone hands. He flat dropped 3 passes that would've tacked on 30-40 more yards, and the one 40 yarder he did haul in, he bobbled repeatedly before securing it. If he catches that ball in stride he might've gone for a TD but he had to slow down playing bobbly before he secured the football. One of his drops went right through his hands into the arms of a defender that resulted in a pick which by no means was Eli's fault. He would've had a bigger game if he didn't juggle/drop all day long. He was seeing double coverage on multiple deep routes, but what was encouraging from a fantasy perspective was how many times they tried to go up top to him anyways. We'll see how this evolves now that Nicks is healthy again. He looked terrific on that TD run.

I would think that SSmith out of the slot with Nicks and Manningham on the outside would be pretty sick.

I'm just curious if you're a Manningham owner, bpwallace? It would make your assertion that they doubled Manningham the majority of the game sound more viable if you don't own him. I think it's just a product of the type of receivers they are. Manningham has more deep speed, so he runs more deep routes, while Smith is known for his precise routes and great hands. Teams are going to have one safety deep on obvious passing downs to protect against the big play. You would think they would at least run more bubble screens to Manningham with the success he had in the Sunday night tilt with the cowboys.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I'm just curious if you're a Manningham owner, bpwallace? It would make your assertion that they doubled Manningham the majority of the game sound more viable if you don't own him. I think it's just a product of the type of receivers they are. Manningham has more deep speed, so he runs more deep routes, while Smith is known for his precise routes and great hands. Teams are going to have one safety deep on obvious passing downs to protect against the big play. You would think they would at least run more bubble screens to Manningham with the success he had in the Sunday night tilt with the cowboys.

I own him in 2 out of 11 leagues.

I actually picked up that tidbit from the ESPN analysts last night about the rolled coverage, and then did the rest on my own. They specifically pointed out the Steve Smith single coverage and how he beat it, and then the rolled safety which eliminated most of teh routes that Manningham was caled to run yesterday .

i agree on the bubble screens and more intermediate routes like in the first game of the year. Just get him the ball and see what he can do in space like Nicks did on his TD run.

agree 100%

Eli has plantar fasciitis.

Anyone feeling nervous? :wacko:

If he were a RB maybe, but he doesn't have to stop cut and run very often... It depends on how bad it is... it could be mild and then it's just how he deals with the pain. We'll see later this week, right now, he's looking like the franchise qb they expected him to be, so it would be a big blow to lose him, but it doesn't sound too serious yet.

Should we sell SS high? He is the #1 wr right now. Could it be possible to "upgrade"?

I am liking the production but am curious if people think there is a let down coming?

I would not expect 130 and 2 td's every week, but I see no reason to sell unless you're desperate somewhere else. He's probably a tremendous value depending on where you got him in your draft... He's a legit WR #1, and will continue to get many looks every week. There will be 50-70yd weeks, but he's a monster in PPR, and given WR fluctuations (hello Larry, Roddy, Boldin, Santonio etc...) he's been very very consistent. I don't think he's vanishing by any means. Now if Eli were seriously injured or both Nicks and Maningham missed extensive time ... well that tune could change as teams could focus on him more.

It is his right foot, correct? Then considering that is his plant and drive foot for passing, I would be nervous . . .

Had it myself as a young adult and played QB it was also my plant foot and did affect my throwing but I think he can probably play through it will it affect his game maybe a little as you saw that play he just collapsed from the pressure on his plant foot. Maybe even more running from the G Men for a while to help him through it