[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

MojoMan

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To say it was a surprise, even to him, is an understatement. Is there any rule that says one of those HAS to be given out every year?

:wacko: what for

According to CNN:

President Barack Obama made history again Friday, winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

So after that, I was :D what for too. But then it went on:

The Norwegian Nobel Committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems, including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Whether you are a Obama supporter, hater, or somewhere in between, he has gotten attention around the world and to many I guess there is hope. I just didn't realize that hope = actual change, at least to the degree that a Noble should be awarded. Plus I think it's kind of ironic that a peace prize is given to a commander in chief of a military that is fighting two wars, no matter if the wars are just or unjust.

To say it was a surprise, even to him, is an understatement. Is there any rule that says one of those HAS to be given out every year?
Maybe it was just a slow peace year? Or the 2008-2009 peace draft class was just thin.

According to CNN:

President Barack Obama made history again Friday, winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

So after that, I was :D what for too. But then it went on:

The Norwegian Nobel Committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems, including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Whether you are a Obama supporter, hater, or somewhere in between, he has gotten attention around the world and to many I guess there is hope. I just didn't realize that hope = actual change, at least to the degree that a Noble should be awarded. Plus I think it's kind of ironic that a peace prize is given to a commander in chief of a military that is fighting two wars, no matter if the wars are just or unjust.

:wacko: Nuke Free...what an Third Eye Blind :D

no, it will embolden them

it is certain that this award will result in them ridiculing Obama.

For sure!

I am sort of in the line of thinking that this is way to early but then again I am also thinking that he has captured the world in terms of progressive thinking over race. :wacko:

What bothers me about the Nobel Peace for Obama is that they (the Committee) are awarding for good intentions or good effort.

In other disciplines (such as the scientific disciplines) they award for results. The scientific prizes used to be for a career effort. Now, they award for a huge specific effort. How is <9 months of effort worth a Nobel?

Just wondering.

Edited by MojoMan

What bothers me about the Nobel Peace for Obama is that they're (the Norwegians) are awarding for good intentions or good effort.

In other disciplines (such as the scientific disciplines) they award for results.

silly human science is not real . ask the last administration.

not being a TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... idiot and talking to other cuntries? but i to think it is very silly.
silly human science is not real . ask the last administration.

so he won yet another award for "not being Bush"... it's tiring, that sentiment. ::wacko:

He better donate the 10M Kroner to the US Treasury. He has done enough to pillage it...time to put some back.

He'll probably give it to ACORN for good deeds or something like that if he hasn't snorted it away already. :wacko: