[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting Question

FWmaker

I'm sure that there's some scientific answer, but I was just thinking....

If our bodies' normal temperature is 98.6o, why is an outside temperature of say 90o feel uncomfortable and why does a temperature of say 72o feel completely comfortable? Shouldn't a temperature of 90o feel cool?

I'm guessing that it might be that 98.6o is our internal temperature and not our external temperature.

What the he|| do I know?

If our bodies' normal temperature is 98.6o, why is an outside temperature of say 90o feel uncomfortable and why does a temperature of say 72o feel completely comfortable? Shouldn't a temperature of 90o feel cool?
The surface of your skin is used as a large heat sink. It relies on a temperature differential to cool down your body. Around 70 is your body's sweet spot where the heat can dissipate at a comfortable rate. Warmer then that, and it has to try harder to cool by sweating, increasing the cooling effect through evaporation. Colder, the heat can dissipate to quickly making you feel cold.

The comfortable temperature will vary from person to person, as well as enviromental condition. A windy 75 may be less comfortable then a calm 68 for instance. Or a typical pool temperature 84 may seem cooler then a 75 day because water is a much better conductor of heat then air.

I think shirts and balls are antithetical seeing as how hot water makes shirts shrink and cold water makes balls shrink

That took balls

Nah he's nuts.

No one has every adequately explained to me how if a fly gets in your car flying around doing the fly thing and you accelerate to 60 MPH, how is that fly not squashed on your back window and is able to fly the 60 MPH to keep up?

No one has every adequately explained to me how if a fly gets in your car flying around doing the fly thing and you accelerate to 60 MPH, how is that fly not squashed on your back window and is able to fly the 60 MPH to keep up?
Because the fly doesn't have to fly at 60MPH to keep up. He only needs to fly slightly faster then 0 MPH to overcome the air currents shifting slightly to the rear of the vehicle. The fly and the air are moving at the same relative speed, their forward speed is canceled so the end effect is that they are stationary relative to one another. Once you stop accelerating and the air's density has a chance to equalize, the fly wouldn't need to overcome any air currents (unless a window was open or the blower was on). Now if it was a convertible, the fly's screwed and was probably sucked out miles ago.

On a similar note, if you tossed a tennis ball perfectly straight up into the air as you were accelerating to 60MPH, would it come straight back down in your hand, would it land in front of your hand, or behind it? And if you had a helium balloon on a string, which direction would the balloon move during the same acceleration.

Because the fly doesn't have to fly at 60MPH to keep up. He only needs to fly slightly faster then 0 MPH to overcome the air currents shifting slightly to the rear of the vehicle. The fly and the air are moving at the same relative speed, their forward speed is canceled so the end effect is that they are stationary relative to one another. Once you stop accelerating and the air's density has a chance to equalize, the fly wouldn't need to overcome any air currents (unless a window was open or the blower was on). Now if it was a convertible, the fly's screwed and was probably sucked out miles ago.

On a similar note, if you tossed a tennis ball perfectly straight up into the air as you were accelerating to 60MPH, would it come straight back down in your hand, would it land in front of your hand, or behind it? And if you had a helium balloon on a string, which direction would the balloon move during the same acceleration.

And what about the rotation of the Earth too? :wacko:

But y?

It depends on if it's an African fly or a European fly.