[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tailgate Rules?

Lady.hawke

Just to restate, the tailgate is for whatever non-football issues that people want to discuss and current events are certainly fair game. What is not welcomed is discussions that begin or morph into a political debate which inevitably morphs into name calling and personal attacks, etc. Left unattended, there are some who would so litter the board with political issues that it becomes a detraction to whole.

I do not mind people discussing government per se since it affects our lives. Using the terms "replublitard" or "demo-crap" probably not going to help the conversation as an example. It always goes south in such threads, it is merely a question as to when.

Here is my great analogy. Liken the government to a school that has a mission of serving the needs of the students. You can differ on what those needs may be and how best to serve them, but it is a fair analogy. Now "politics" is nothing more than the football game out back. It is way more exciting and there are always two sides yelling at each other. There can be concussions involved. But in the end, it doesn't make for any better of a school, it just makes half the population feel better because they sense they beat the other guys. You get to make banners and have pep rallies. It has nothing to do with running the school really. It is just a preset way that people can easily conflict and wear colors.

I have no problems with intelligent discussion of issues. But politics should be kept out because they always have a negative affect on some if not most.

I am not for either team here. I only deal with what is there.

Here is my great analogy. Liken the government to a school that has a mission of serving the needs of the students. You can differ on what those needs may be and how best to serve them, but it is a fair analogy. Now "politics" is nothing more than the football game out back. It is way more exciting and there are always two sides yelling at each other. There can be concussions involved. But in the end, it doesn't make for any better of a school, it just makes half the population feel better because they sense they beat the other guys. You get to make banners and have pep rallies. It has nothing to do with running the school really. It is just a preset way that people can easily conflict and wear colors.

Excellent and very accurate analogy (unfortunately).

Glad you progressed from advocating cheezits on burgers :wacko:

Nobody talks about religion or politics at any of the tailgates I've been to. :wacko: It'd be nice to not have these pollute the tailgate section.

When it comes down to it, nobody (or at least very few) give a carp about what someone else thinks about politics on the net. They just feel the need to defend their own positions and try to spread their own beliefs on others. It's human nature or at least part of our society. The pseudo-anonymity of the web lets everyone spout off without RL repercussions. It's so bad that even if two people really are trying to have a productive conversation the mix gets crowded with bomb throwers that just want to stir the mix and get people riled up. In the end it's pointless and provides far more division among reasonable people than it forms a community. Besides we argue enough about football here. It's nice to just talk pop-culture/personal situations without fighting stuff to argue about IMO.

I fully support lady.hawke's posting as much as possible without censorship.

The more the republican party is associated with the people who throw around obviously false conspiracy theories, the better democrats look in comparison.

Rule number 1:

When you are engaging in discussion and repeatedly ask for links for info to back up someone elses opposing viewpoints, and then when given said requested links you proceed to respond with "i'm not going to look at that" over and over again, you should be ridiculed as someone who sticks their fingers in their ears and blabbers on lalalalalalalalaa. Have to agree here!

looks like the circus found this thread

Is this in response to my post? I think it's a valid point. If you want to have an civil discussion and ask for others to back up their viewpoints, than when provided with said information it doesn't help your case any to repeatedly respond with "i'm not looking at that". :wacko: It makes you look closed minded and insincere for asking for backup in the first place.

Whatever. I'm done.

Is this in response to my post? I think it's a valid point. If you want to have an civil discussion and ask for others to back up their viewpoints, than when provided with said information it doesn't help your case any to repeatedly respond with "i'm not looking at that". :wacko: It makes you look closed minded and insincere for asking for backup in the first place.

Whatever. I'm done.

clowns usually have red wigs....

Not that David's fine explaination isn't enough, but to actually answer the original question - the forum rules are linked at the upper left corner of every page right below the main navigation bar. Now the door closes on this topic.