[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Re-visiting really old PC games....

BeeR

In honor of Halloween (OK actually boredom, TV sucks) decided to dust DOOM off and mess w/it a little for first time in many years. It's more playable than I expected, but I always was a lot more impressed by good design and "playability" than fancy graphics or other bells and whistles. Wish there was a site you could connect and play w/people, I remember teaming up w/a friend of mine vs the baddies, was a great (easy) thing to do on a rainy winter night when nothing was going on.

OK maybe I should have titled this thread "how bored can you get" :wacko:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castle Wolfenstein rocked.

lol - that came out right about when I got laid off - was also a cold, rainy winter, so that and job hunting took up most of my time for awhile. Was a quantum leap in gaming w/that first person perspective. Plus the beauty of it was it was so easy: point n shoot. None of this needing a manual and learning 50 diff keys and remembering what they did etc.

Gotta admit, miss the days when PC gaming was still fairly new and growing by leaps and bounds - still had that "gee whiz" factor. Now it's all more or less a yawn to me

I love the original Age of Empires (I'm sure I'd beat TimC in that too :D ) as well as Duke Nukem..."Damn, I'm looking gooood!"

Don't make me post the recorded game of The Beatdown. I love Age of Empires...my favorite by far. I could've gone pro! :wacko: We played the helloutta that game.

[OT] Heck, I still have the original Nintendo with a ton of games...still works. I was talking with a friend about it the other week and was saying I wonder if I ever found all the secret hidden stuff in those games. There was no innernets back then and I'll bet those little Japs had stuff hidden all over. :D

Of course, I'd still put myself up against anyone on the planet in Defender. Ooooh yeah.

Anybody remember the old text-based games like Jacaranda Jim?

Synopsis:

Following an attack on his cargo-ship by an army of homicidal beechwood armchairs Jacaranda Jim is forced to crashland on the strange world of Ibberspleen IV. Rescued from the burning wreckage by the mysteriously smug Alan the Gribbley, Jim has to do battle with manic-depressive deckchair attendants, the Ibberspleen Post Office and a very sinister network of dank caves.

* What is the secret of the floating sphere?

* Why has Alan been hypnotised?

* What would you do with a cucumber, a gin-spitting pirate and a piece of gristle? No, don't answer that.

All this, and more, is revealed in Jacaranda Jim.

Anyone ever play Escape from Castle Wolfenstein before the 3D first person shooter version came out? I killed countless hours on that game on the Apple 2E way back in the day.

Telengard was another fave. A text-based dungeon crawl. So many hours/days/months lost playing those games. :sigh: