[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Acute Cerebellar Ataxia

Scooby

wanted to share my expereice here too. Earlier in the week, my 4 yr old boy (who is usually very agile & coodinated) suddenly started just falling down to the ground while walking, as though he had a trick knee or something. He'd get up and be kinda wobbly. At the time I just chalked it up to growing pains or clumsiness, but it kept getting worse & worse. We rushed him to the ER. They ran blood tests, urinalysis, and a 2 hr MRI which he remarkably stayed completely still for....I woulda gone nuts in that thing, but he was so calm and patient. All came back 100% normal thank God. we followed up with the pedia the next morning, who checked his CK levels, which were also normal. He diagnosed him with the condition lsited above. Not much we can do about it, hopefully it passes soon, but it scares the hell out of me. He seems happy and content, like it's no big deal. Noticed a few eye twitchy movements, but also another symptom of this disorder. I worry that if this doesn't pass, he might have some kinda strange seizure disorder, but I hope that's not the case. Anyone have any expereince with this? It's kinda like vertigo, without the inner ear troubles. TIA

My pediatric colleagues see this usually after a chickenpox infection (most common type). I asked a couple of them, and they said there is no treatment available but the problem usually (90% of the time) resolves spontaneously (it could take several months).

Here's a concise summary.

I'll be praying for your son's full recovery.

Edited by Chargerz

Wow, that must have been a scary thing to go through. Not meaning to downplay it, this doagnosis is a pretty good outcome, considering the other possible causes from what I saw with a Google search. They say it is rare to last beyond a couple of months. Did he just have the flu or something?

wanted to share my expereice here too. Earlier in the week, my 4 yr old boy (who is usually very agile & coodinated) suddenly started just falling down to the ground while walking, as though he had a trick knee or something. He'd get up and be kinda wobbly. At the time I just chalked it up to growing pains or clumsiness, but it kept getting worse & worse. We rushed him to the ER. They ran blood tests, urinalysis, and a 2 hr MRI which he remarkably stayed completely still for....I woulda gone nuts in that thing, but he was so calm and patient. All came back 100% normal thank God. we followed up with the pedia the next morning, who checked his CK levels, which were also normal. He diagnosed him with the condition lsited above. Not much we can do about it, hopefully it passes soon, but it scares the hell out of me. He seems happy and content, like it's no big deal. Noticed a few eye twitchy movements, but also another symptom of this disorder. I worry that if this doesn't pass, he might have some kinda strange seizure disorder, but I hope that's not the case. Anyone have any expereince with this? It's kinda like vertigo, without the inner ear troubles. TIA

My 4 year old Nephew experienced this about 1-1/2 months ago. The story is eerily similar, testing, etc. Those are the same symptoms he had, especially the eye twitching. His symptoms lasted about 3 or 4 days and then simply disappeared. Hang in there, good vibes sent.

Good to hear this Gonkis, so far today, he hasn't fallen, but now he has laryngistis, or so it seems, but he's happy and no fever. Thanks all for the well wishes, and yes, Czar, the lengths he's gone to get that puppy! lol!!!

Can't imagine what you have been going through with worry. If properly diganosed it sounds like a full recovery is in order.

I will have to keep this in mind when I want my next puppy and hubby says no.

we got him a "country" boston, should be a seal color, but a little too much red highlight....he's sweet, I think to myself, that doesn;t look too comfy when my boy holds him sometimes, but the puppy seems totally relaxed....teaching my little guy to be gentle, which he is 99% of the time :wacko:

we got him a "country" boston, should be a seal color, but a little too much red highlight....he's sweet, I think to myself, that doesn;t look too comfy when my boy holds him sometimes, but the puppy seems totally relaxed....teaching my little guy to be gentle, which he is 99% of the time :wacko:

That is very good! Just... well, I was given a pup when I was too young. My idea of play was actually teasing, and little did I know as a lil 'un. What I thought was fun for me was actually torment for the pup, and he did not turn out well.

You bit off a lot to chew here. YOU have to know how to teach the dog, teach your son how to interact, and supervise it all. He needs to be taught how to train the dog too. And the difference between play and teasing. Try structured play. Scoob, you know I ... well, care. So, I offer some advice, knowing you and your husband are great folks. It's a trying time, so keep your eyes open and be prepared for more responsibility than you expected. Also, be prepared for more joy and happiness if you do this right. My best wishes always to you, the hubby and the rest of the clan!

That is very good! Just... well, I was given a pup when I was too young. My idea of play was actually teasing, and little did I know as a lil 'un. What I thought was fun for me was actually torment for the pup, and he did not turn out well.

You bit off a lot to chew here. YOU have to know how to teach the dog, teach your son how to interact, and supervise it all. He needs to be taught how to train the dog too. And the difference between play and teasing. Try structured play. Scoob, you know I ... well, care. So, I offer some advice, knowing you and your husband are great folks. It's a trying time, so keep your eyes open and be prepared for more responsibility than you expected. Also, be prepared for more joy and happiness if you do this right. My best wishes always to you, the hubby and the rest of the clan!

certainly good advice here, afterall he insisted the puppy be named Scooby....:wacko:

certainly good advice here, afterall he insisted the puppy be named Scooby....:wacko:

LOL! Scooby! I love it! :D Yer gonna havta send me some pics. I insist! Or... what is the link to your face book thingy? I still have the pics you sent when your son was born. Hard to believe he is 3 years old already. Seems like it was last year. Time flies, and so do problems as they fade into the past. This scare will fade away too.... but that pup? LOL... Scooby is gonna be there for a while!