[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did my good deed today

Big Country

And it felt real good.

About 3pm, my wife sends me a text with a picture of a dog that she found wandering our neighborhood. The couple neighbors she saw out had never seen it before. Very friendly dog, it was circling an old lady and her poodle, trying to play when my wife saw it and checked to make sure tha this old lady was okay.

So, my wife decides to bring it to our house, puts it in the backyard, gets it some food and water and calls animal control as the dog has no collar or tags, so maybe it has a chip.

I get home around 5:15 and animal control has not shown up. As I am walking in the house, I hear someone calling out a name from a minivan driving slowly, but they go past our cross street and I can;t get their attention to find out if they are looking for the dog. I figure they will circle around a bit, so I take my dog, who has been going nuts cooped up inside with this other dog in the backyard, for a quick walk towards the part of the neighborhood where she found the dog, hoping to find these people if they are still out.

Right as I get off of my street and start heading down, the car drives by and the driver rolls her window down asking if I had seen a dog. I show her the picture of the dog on my phone, and low and behold we have found the owners (this lady was a neighbor, the owners were in the car behind them) and I direct them to my house. They have had the dog for just 3 days and it got out of it's crate and out of the house (my wife said the dog was quite smart and had almost opened our back door by standing up and pushing down on the door handle).

The big kicker, and the part that makes me glad we did what we could to find the owners, is that the dog was for the family's 14 or 15 year old daughter, who was in the car, who is suffering from leukemia (or some other form of cancer, she mentioned having a transfusion earlier that day). Also, right as they got to our house, the animal control officer showed up. He checked the chip, and it turns out it wasn't registered in their system, so he took care of that for them.

Anyway, just wanted to share a feel good story.

Very cool story. Dog owners definitely stick together.

I couldn't tell you how many dogs I've grabbed over the years and tracked down owners.

Yup. If I see a loose dog, I generally give it a shot to see if I can read it's tags... or if I'm getting a bad vibe, I call Animal Control to take a look.