[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The baddest of the bad-asses

BeeR

He didnt seem to have much trouble connecting for a good part of his career until he lost focus and got mixed up with Don King and slipped into his old ways of being a thug. The premise of the thread was in their prime. A martial arts guy has more weapons at their disposal but you cant dismiss that power Tyson had. That is his dangerouse weapon. Some of you make him sound like he was the winner of a tough man contest. The guy was an elite boxer and dominant heavyweight champion . At 18 he wwas knocking grown men out with regularity.

To clarify. he was never a model citizen but when he was with Cus Damato, Rooney and Atlas they kept his head on straight and he was tops in the game

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didnt seem to have much trouble connecting for a good part of his career until he lost focus and got mixed up with Don King and slipped into his old ways of being a thug. The premise of the thread was in their prime. A martial arts guy has more weapons at their disposal but you cant dismiss that power Tyson had. That is his dangerouse weapon.

And again, it means nothing if he's just hitting air. He connected to other boxers, which barely gets a yawn in the context of this discussion.

According to Wiki Seagal was a 7 Dan Black belt in Aikido before becoming an actor and at the time he was the only foreigner in Japan that actually taught and operated his own dojo. Baddest of the bad ? Probably not but he wasnt a product of hollywood. The guy has skills

Well duh. Segal is a bad mo fo, make no mistake. But I'd put him 3d (of those I know) behind Lee and Norriss.

And again, it means nothing if he's just hitting air. He connected to other boxers, which barely gets a yawn in the context of this discussion.

I went on record saying Bruce Lee would be my choice for this thread. That being said it is baffling to me that some are dismissing boxers as not even worthy to be mentioned in this discussion. Prime Tyson,Ali,Foreman,Frazier can't be mentioned in the same thread as Anderson Silva ? :wacko: its flat out laughable.

As I said, I don't follow MMA that much. I know the sport has evolved greatly but I remember when "ultimate fighting" came out many moons ago Tank Abbott was laying out everyone and he was just a slugger with a beer belly. I realoze now you have highly trained guys in all different forms of MA. If you were to put one of them against a prime Tyson it would be a matter of who strikes first and who makes the mosty of their opportunity. Tyson was a lightning fast heavyweight with a granite chin and devestating KO power in his prime. You act like he would be throwing bar room haymakers at these guys and missing wildly. I don't see it that way. Not saying he would beat a Bruce Lee but to laugh him off and dismiss him as "a boxer" is foolish IMO

I went on record saying Bruce Lee would be my choice for this thread. That being said it is baffling to me that some are dismissing boxers as not even worthy to be mentioned in this discussion. Prime Tyson,Ali,Foreman,Frazier can't be mentioned in the same thread as Anderson Silva ? :wacko: its flat out laughable.

Yes it would be, if that is what I was saying, which I'm not.

I just think Tyson would be lucky to land much of anything against the likes of Lee etc. Being able to take a hit gives him more of a chance than his ability to deliver them IMO, but by that time Lee would have whacked him so many times even he would go down like a sack of taters.

Yes it would be, if that is what I was saying, which I'm not.

I just think Tyson would be lucky to land much of anything against the likes of Lee etc. Being able to take a hit gives him more of a chance than his ability to deliver them IMO, but by that time Lee would have whacked him so many times even he would go down like a sack of taters.

I see a comment like the one bolded above and I take it as you dismissing boxers in this conversation. Fair enough. It is your opinion. I think Lee takes the cake in the thread but some offshoot conversations within the thread that so easily dismissed elite boxers surpised me.

I was responding to your "He didnt seem to have much trouble connecting for a good part of his career" and my "BFD" response was because we aren't talking about 2 boxers limited to a ring. He might connect to Lee, but I doubt he'd get much of a chance and it might be 1 connect to Lee's 10. Course he could get lucky and 1 from him might be enough - but again I really really doubt it.

Twenty-year-old Mike Tyson was a f'n bull. He came right at everybody he fought and wasn't afraid to take a shot. And while it's certainly tough to know how he'd compare against a martial arts guy, I'd still like his chances. But, I don't really think it'd matter who the opponent was - if he got inside, it was over quick.

And while it's certainly tough to know how he'd compare against a martial arts guy, I'd still like his chances. But, I don't really think it'd matter who the opponent was - if he got inside, it was over quick.

In a boxing match, Tyson kills the MMA guy. In a fight or an MMA bout it would be total destruction. A wrestler could shoot in and land a double leg or single leg takedown then hold him there beating on him slowly. Muay Thai/Kickboxers would kick at his legs to the point where he wouldn't be able to get inside... Of course, a Jits guy could probaly goat him into going to the ground, then it night night time.

A boxer will beat a wrestler/grappler in a boxing match.

A wrestler/grappler would beat the best boxer in an MMA match. I've sparred with several boxers, some of which did really well in Golden gloves. Standing up they were great, which is why myself and others in the gym would take it to the ground. Opening up takedowns and grappling puts them completely out of there element. I don't know of any boxers that practice the sprawl often.

It's Ali or Bruce Lee. 95% of the MMA guys are simply dirty boxers that weren't good enough to become actual boxers. Give Ali a few days to learn how to avoid a takedown. Have you guys seen what happened when he fought a MMA fighter? The guy didn't want to go anywhere near him. The same thing would happen with 95% of the MMA guys today. Do you think even one of them is going to stand in front of a boxer for five seconds? They would probably try to shoot and would end up being knocked out on the way in. It ultimately would end up in a stale-mate. The boxer won't chase to the ground, and the wrestler wouldn't get close enough. There are a couple guys that are truly skilled in a specific style that could give boxers fits, but MOST of them wouldn't last two minutes. Like I said, the large majority of MMA fighters started as dirty boxers that sprinkle in a little bit of ground game. Those guys would have no chance.

Bruce Lee is so ridiculously quick that you just can't really tell if anybody would possibly be able to defend it.

It's Ali or Bruce Lee.
George Foreman

? Foreman couldn't even kick Ali's butt and Ali would have the living poop kicked out of him by Lee. Sorry Clay, "rope a dope" aint workin here.

Tyson is the only boxer I think stood a chance for reasons stated earlier, but realistically I doubt he'd have had much of one either. The more I think about it, the more I think it's the best martial arts guy who takes this.

Edited by BeeR

Diego Sanchez casts one vote for BJ Penn.

LOL, Penn put on a clinic last night. Total domination against the #1 contender to his title.

George Foreman, Ken Shamrock, or Hixon Gracie. It is hard to argue against any of them.

There wasn't an injury that Shamrock didn't like. Look at him funny and he'd drop out of a fight.

Edited by Riffraff

• 1 year later...