[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Review the 09 draft

Seahawks21

We're far enough through the season at this point to have a feel for the rookies on our homer team. How did your team do? Maybe they drafted what looks like could be a bust. Maybe they hit on a player that is flying under the radar a little bit. What kind of impact has your team's first rounder had?

Feel free to discuss later picks as well.

My main reason for doing this is because I was strongly against the Seahawks taking an OLB at #4. You just haven't seen an OLB drafted that high since LT have a franchise-changing type impact. Curry clearly isn't a pass-rusher, so my theory is that he really can't be that impactful. I want to see what some of the other options they might have had, and to try to work on draft theory. I want to find out which positions tend to have the biggest impact, which positions tend to be busts, etc.

I'll start with Aaron Curry, who the Seahawks took at #4. I'm afraid I can't say much. He just isn't visible in most games. I think he has an ILB skillset, but is playing outside in Seattle. It isn't like I'm going to give up on him or anything, but the kid has miles to go to justify a #4 overall pick. He clearly hasn't had the impact that the Seahawks needed with that kind of top-5 pick. Not going to call him a bust yet, but would have been a much better pick outside of the top-10.

2nd rounder, Max Unger, Guard, looks promising. Not a physical specimen, but plays nasty and puts his hardhat on every game. Doesn't blow assignments, but doesn't blow DTs off the ball either.

3rd rounder Deon Butler, WR, gets an incomplete. The Seahawks continue to play Branch in the slot over him for no reason whatsoever. He finally got a chance this weekend and made a huge, basically game-winning catch on a timing route style fade down the sidelines. He hasn't shown the 4.3 speed, but we'll see. He just hasn't gotten chances yet.

Edited by Seahawks21

Off the top of my head.

1) Vontae Davis CB. He's been great. A little too aggressive in going for the big play sometimes, but we went against San Diego, the Pats, Indy, New England, the Saints and Atlanta and were in most of those games.

2) Pat White QB - meh. I just don't like the way he has been used. I feel it breaks the momentum. Time for this kid to line up at wide, catch some balls, run an end-around or two and throw a pass here and there to keep people off guard. I don't want him on the field in place of Henne.

2) Sean Smith CB - see Vontae

3) Patrick Turner WR. So far, a disappointment. The wides on this team are not so good that he should not have made a mark already.

4) Brian Hartline WR. Great pick here. He's like a tall Wes Welker. Not Welker now, but he has developed similarly. He's smart as heck and improves every week. He's gained Henne and the team's confidence.

5) John Nalbone TE. A swing and a miss.

5) Chris Clemmons S. Has had a great start to his career and played well when on the field. He should shape up to be a very good player.

6+) meh

Edited by Duchess Jack

Off the top of my head.

1) Vontae Davis CB. He's been great. A little too aggressive in going for the big play sometimes, but we went against San Diego, the Pats, Indy, New England and Atlanta and were in most of those games.

2) Pat White QB - meh. I just don't like the way he has been used. I feel it breaks the momentum. Time for this kid to line up at wide, catch some balls, run an end-around or two and throw a pass here and there to keep people off guard. I don't want him on the field in place of Henne.

3) Patrick Turner WR. So far, a disappointment. The wides on this team are not so good that he should not have made a mark already.

4) Brian Hartline WR. Great pick here. He's like a tall Wes Welker. Not Welker now, but he has developed similarly. He's smart as heck and improves every week. He's gained Henne and the team's confidence.

5) Chris Clemmons S. Has had a great start to his career and played well when on the field. He should shape up to be a very good player.

6+) meh

Packers have four great players from this past draft: DT Raji(1),LB Matthews(1), OT Lang(4) and LB Jones(7). Has a chance to be one of their best ever.

Yea, Ted Thompsen!

Edited by The 13ers

Colts:

1st - Brown - jury's out. He's a better runner than Addai but needs work on the blocking etc. Also has been dinged. Cautiously optimistic long term.

2d - Maiaolaola - bust so far. He was dinged up but 2 tackles and 1 assist and couldn't win a starting job on a team perpetually desperate for quality DTs doesn't say much else IMO. Hopefully will turn it around.

3d - Powers - he's startin - OK injuries helped, but far as I can tell he's a worthy addition to the team.

4th - Collie - if you don't know the answer you must not be paying much attention to football this year :wacko: He and Garcon are giving the Colts the kind of depth/options they need, esp with Gonzo out.

5th - Taylor - whiff

6th - Painter - made the team and doubt he's much worse than Sorgi at least.

7th - McAfee - he's our punter so can't kick (sorry) not sure how good is avg is though.

Edited by BeeR

KC Chiefs:

1st round = Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Starting left defensive end

3rd round = Alex Magee, DT, Purdue

Third string defensive tackle

4th round = Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State

Third string cornerback

5th round = Colin Brown, OT, Missouri

Not listed on the current depth chart, don't remember if anything happened to him and too lazy to look it up

6th round = Quinten Lawrence, WR, McNeese State

Third string WR

7th round = Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State

Second string RB behind Jamaal Charles (now that Kolby Smith is on IR)

7th round = Jake O'Connell, TE, Miamia (OH)

Fourth string TE

7th round = Ryan Succop, PK, South Carolina

Playing well as the starting PK

In other words, a pretty typical KC draft. :blech:

Pretty good draft for the Eagles IMO. Only guys that are gone are OL and an injured TE the rest have gotten playing time either here or elsewhere. Factor in the Hobbes deal and it looks like it could be one of their best drafts in a while

* WR Jeremy Maclin (6-0, 198, Missouri)- D1 (19th overall)- Another hit a WR finally

* RB LeSean McCoy (5-10, 198, Pittsburgh) - D2 (53rd overall)- Filling in pretty well for Westbrook, jury is still out but looks OK

* TE Cornelius Ingram (6-4, 245, Florida) - D5a (153rd overall)- hurt, TBD but was promising prior to injury

* CB Victor Harris (5-11, 198, Virginia Tech) - D5b (157th overall)- playing in the nickel for now looks like that could be his ceiling

* T Fenuki Tupou (6-5, 314, Oregon) - D5c (159th overall) - practice squad

* WR Brandon Gibson (6-0, 210, Washington State) - D6 (194th overall)- traded for Witherspoon and looks like he may have been a steal anyway

* G Paul Fanaika (6-5, 327, Arizona State) - D7a (213th overall) - cut

* LB Moise Fokou (6-1, 233, Maryland) - D7b (230th overall) - getting PT with all the LB injuries could stick as depth

Off the top of my head.

1) Vontae Davis CB. He's been great. A little too aggressive in going for the big play sometimes, but we went against San Diego, the Pats, Indy, New England and Atlanta and were in most of those games.

6+) meh

Pretty much agree on all of them.

Pat White is a twig and a waste of a pick IMO.

Hoping Davis/Smith can turn into Madison/Surtain.

I'd also like to see Clemmons take over for Gibril next year.

I think Bess is our new Welker - but Hartline has come along nicely. It will be interesting to see what a true #1 WR (FA or draft) can do for Henne next year.

1 (15) Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California - OK, OK I was totally against taking a LB with this pick but Cushing has turned out to be a stud LB and help this young defense keep getting better.

2 (46) Connor Barwin, DE, Cincinnati - Situational player right now. I figured when they took him it would take at least a year or two for him to make an impact.

3 (77) Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama - 2nd string C

4 (112) Glover Quin, DB, New Mexico - Started 8 games this season. Looks to have some great long term potential.

4 (122) Anthony Hill, TE, North Carolina State - Blocking TE hasn't done much yet.

5 (152) James Casey, TE, Rice - Expected Kubiak and co to get him more involved in the offense, especially after Daniels went down. Not sure if it's him or if it has more to do with the other options they have. Think he will still be a good pass catching TE.

6 (188) Brice McCain, DB, Utah - Situational CB hasdone decent when hes on the field

7 (223) Troy Nolan, DB, Arizona State - Cut

Overall a good draft, with most making some sort of contribution already. Another year or two will really tell if these are potential long term starters or just real good depth.

Pretty much agree on all of them.

Pat White is a twig and a waste of a pick IMO.

Hoping Davis/Smith can turn into Madison/Surtain.

I'd also like to see Clemmons take over for Gibril next year.

I think Bess is our new Welker - but Hartline has come along nicely. It will be interesting to see what a true #1 WR (FA or draft) can do for Henne next year.

Davis is actually one of the players I have been arguing that the Seahawks could/should have taken over Curry. Well, Davis and Jenkins, basically because corner is a more important position than OLB. I liked him out of college. I thought he would do pretty well, and by your accounts, seems to be.

KC Chiefs:

1st round = Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

Starting left defensive end

3rd round = Alex Magee, DT, Purdue

Third string defensive tackle

4th round = Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State

Third string cornerback

5th round = Colin Brown, OT, Missouri

Not listed on the current depth chart, don't remember if anything happened to him and too lazy to look it up

6th round = Quinten Lawrence, WR, McNeese State

Third string WR

7th round = Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State

Second string RB behind Jamaal Charles (now that Kolby Smith is on IR)

7th round = Jake O'Connell, TE, Miamia (OH)

Fourth string TE

7th round = Ryan Succop, PK, South Carolina

Playing well as the starting PK

In other words, a pretty typical KC draft. :blech:

Hey Muck, how has Jackson been doing? It might be pretty hard to grade a 3-4 DE, but has he made an impact, maybe solely in stopping the run?

:wacko:

he needs work, but he's going to be very good.

I hope you are right, because the next 3 years depends on it. I just don't like California college QB's. Specifically, QB's from colleges in southern California. Beach boy mentality, or whatever it is, most of them disappoint in the NFL. I WANT Sanchez to be a good one, but I am not sure he will be... another Losman or Lienart or take your pick from the long list of sure fire picks that were busts from CA schools. Me, I don't believe. I hope to all the gods of football I am wrong.

Colts:

1st - Brown - jury's out. He's a better runner than Addai but needs work on the blocking etc. Also has been dinged. Cautiously optimistic long term.

2d - Maiaolaola - bust so far. He was dinged up but 2 tackles and 1 assist and couldn't win a starting job on a team perpetually desperate for quality DTs doesn't say much else IMO. Hopefully will turn it around.

3d - Powers - he's startin - OK injuries helped, but far as I can tell he's a worthy addition to the team.

4th - Collie - if you don't know the answer you must not be paying much attention to football this year :wacko: He and Garcon are giving the Colts the kind of depth/options they need, esp with Gonzo out.

5th - Taylor - whiff

6th - Painter - made the team and doubt he's much worse than Sorgi at least.

7th - McAfee - he's our punter so can't kick (sorry) not sure how good is avg is though.

Seriously dude.. WHO have the Colts played??

Vikings

All draft picks have contributed significantly this year. I will give them a B+

Round 1 = WR Percy Harvin, in the running for OROY. Has outplayed the other receivers and is probably the best offensive player on the team behind Peterson.

Round 2 = R OT, Phil Loadholt, named started during training training camp. Has had some injuries, but has played exceptionally well.

Round 3 = CB, Asher Allen, elevated to nickel when Winfield went out. He may get bumped back down to 4th CB when Winfield comes back. He provides good depth and is a good special teamer.

Round 5 = ILB, Jasper Brinkley, Named starter this week to fill in for EJ Henderson. We will see how he responds. They say he is a hard worker.

Round 7 = S, Jamarca Sanford, Made the team for his special teams play and has seen some time on the field in nickel and dime situations with Winfield out.

I hope you are right, because the next 3 years depends on it. I just don't like California college QB's. Specifically, QB's from colleges in southern California. Beach boy mentality, or whatever it is, most of them disappoint in the NFL. I WANT Sanchez to be a good one, but I am not sure he will be... another Losman or Lienart or take your pick from the long list of sure fire picks that were busts from CA schools. Me, I don't believe. I hope to all the gods of football I am wrong.

Rodgers has turned out OK for a California QB . . . :wacko:

Give the kid a year or two . . he will be just fine, IMO. But you DID probably give up a little too much for him . . .IMO

Rodgers has turned out OK for a California QB . . . :wacko:

Give the kid a year or two . . he will be just fine, IMO. But you DID probably give up a little too much for him . . .IMO

I didn't say ALL CAL QB's are busts, but there sure are a lot of them. I hope like Rodgers, Sanchez is an exception, but, I just don't see it yet. He keeps repeating the same mistakes. In fact, he seems to have regressed. I mean he has to wear colored rubber bands on his wrist to remember how aggressive he should be with his passes? :D

I think Pete Carrol was right... he wasn't ready for the NFL.

On behalf of the 4 1/2 Falcons fans here, I respectfully decline the offer... But at least us UGA fans can be happy about Stafford and Moreno's potential at this level. Knowshon will give you some of the prettiest 4 yard runs you'll ever see and brings energy to all the teams he's been on, which IMO is exactly what Denver's O needs this year.

Peria Jerry was a fine pick for the Falcons, but I hope this injury doesn't become a reoccuring thing.

IMO Really too early to tell with the Pats....

Round 2, Pick 2 (34) (From Chiefs) Patrick Chung SS 5'11" 212 Oregon

Round 2, Pick 8 (40) (From Raiders) Ron Brace DT 6'3" 330 Boston College

Round 2, Pick 9 (41) (From Packers) Darius Butler CB 5'11" 183 Connecticut

Round 2, Pick 26 (58) Sebastian Vollmer OL 6'7" 312 Houston

Round 3, Pick 19 (83) (From Jets through Packers) Brandon Tate WR 6'0" 183 North Carolina

Round 3, Pick 33 (97) (Compensatory selection) Tyrone McKenzie OLB 6'2" 243 South Florida

Round 4, Pick 23 (123) (From Ravens) Rich Ohrnberger OG 6'2" 297 Penn State

Round 5, Pick 34 (170) (Compensatory selection) George Bussey OT 6'3" 306 Louisville

Round 6, Pick 25 (198) (From Ravens) Jake Ingram LS 6'3" 232 Hawaii

Round 6, Pick 34 (207) (Compensatory selection) Myron Pryor DT 6'0" 319 Kentucky

Round 7, Pick 23 (232) (From Dolphins through Jaguars) Julian Edelman QB 5'11" 195 Kent State

Round 7, Pick 25 (234) Darryl Richard DT 6'3" 303 Georgia Tech

Chung and Vollmer could be studs. Edelman looks Welkerish, but it's too early to know. Brace and Butler have played okay...jury is out. Tate and McKenzie are injured...jury is out. Ingram's a long snapper. Seems to be doing okay. Haven't really seen enough of Ohrnberger, Bussey, Pryor or Richard, although Pryor looks to be getting into the rotation.