[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unemployment

Perchoutofwater

I've got a job that was supposed to start this morning. I need two laborers to do some demolition and clean up. Because of the work being in a church's daycare center we are doing background checks which require driver's license numbers or social security numbers. The background checks verify immigration status, as well as any crimes that they have committed. Up front we tell we don't care if they had a DWI or crap like that. We are looking for violent crimes, sexual crimes, or things like dealing drugs. Since Thursday, we have interviewed 16 people. As soon as we mention background checks they walk out the door. That is just a sad statement on today's society.

I've got a job that was supposed to start this morning. I need two laborers to do some demolition and clean up. Because of the work being in a church's daycare center we are doing background checks which require driver's license numbers or social security numbers. The background checks verify immigration status, as well as any crimes that they have committed. Up front we tell we don't care if they had a DWI or crap like that. We are looking for violent crimes, sexual crimes, or things like dealing drugs. Since Thursday, we have interviewed 16 people. As soon as we mention background checks they walk out the door. That is just a sad statement on today's society.

That sucks. Were these guys potenially illegal immigrants? Or did they just look "shady" and potenially ex-felons?

I think it's mostly a sad statement on that particular industry. Time to clean it up. Glad you are doing your part.

That sucks. Were these guys potenially illegal immigrants? Or did they just look "shady" and potenially ex-felons?

A few of them could have possibly illegal immigrants, but according to my superintendent the last three were white guys. I really don't know because as soon as we mention background check they walk out, so some of it probably is illegals, but I think most of it is they know they have something in their backgrounds that will disqualify them.

A few of them could have possibly illegal immigrants, but according to my superintendent the last three were white guys. I really don't know because as soon as we mention background check they walk out, so some of it probably is illegals, but I think most of it is they know they have something in their backgrounds that will disqualify them.

Do they leave before I-9 check is mentioned or before background check or what? Also, the white guys could also be illegals, maybe Russians. Still, like us, you're making sure you don't hire illegals for expediency so :wacko: for that at least.

Tried an agency? That way the checks should already have been done.

A legal laborer who hasn't gone to jail for close to minimum pay (assumption)...good luck.

Tough deal . . we have the same thing when we say we run background checks and drug screening. In hospitality that eliminates a lot of candidates . . plus when we hire for Greens/Grounds we have issues with illegals trying to pass off fake social security cards. . .

I might want to back off on drugs as well, depending on how long ago. Folks can have some drug charges and easily be different people in a couple years time. Other than that, it must be frustrating.

Like Mr Ted said though, that particular pool you're looking through is a toughie.

I might want to back off on drugs as well, depending on how long ago. Folks can have some drug charges and easily be different people in a couple years time. Other than that, it must be frustrating.

While that is very true, with a VERY rich talent pool of people that do NOT have drug pasts in the current climate . . why would you choose otherwise? :wacko: Particularly from a liability issue as a business owner/CEO . .

Like Mr Ted said though, that particular pool you're looking through is a toughie.

Drugs on a construction site are a HUGH deal. It's not retail or insurance, it's dangerous. Perch is in a position where he has a heck of a lot of dross to filter through to find what he needs.

I recall a conversation with our HR person where she said one of her biggest problems wasn't drug screens, it was guys with statutory rape type charges - apparently convicting an 18 yr old for having sex with his 16 yr old girlfriend is a slam-dunk for prosecutors.

Do they leave before I-9 check is mentioned or before background check or what? Also, the white guys could also be illegals, maybe Russians. Still, like us, you're making sure you don't hire illegals for expediency so :wacko: for that at least.

Tried an agency? That way the checks should already have been done.

I don't know the timing as I haven't, but I know none of them has been willing to submit to a background check.

ETA: We are about to be forced to use an agency, but we like to avoid it when possible as the people there are typically subpar, or at least that has been our experience. If they are too lazy to look for a job on their own, they are typically to lazy to do a job.

A legal laborer who hasn't gone to jail for close to minimum pay (assumption)...good luck.

We will pay between $10 to $12 an hour for a laborer to start out. If they are worth a damn they are quickly making $15/hour.

It depends on what they are being hired for, and where they they are going to work. If all they are is a ditch digger, and we are building a new structure out in the middle of a field, we will over look the possession charge from a decade ago. If they are working near kids or operating machinery, I just can't afford the risk.

maybe you should do background checks for every job..........

We have to do background checks for all public school work, it is a new state law. We have required back ground checks on several other jobs, that aren't required by law just due to circumstance. Eventually it will be on every job.

Edited by Perchoutofwater