[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Economy and Stock Market

Brentastic

VIX = volatility index, yes? IMO, not one of those turds in striped shirts has the vaguest idea of how to do anything other than panic. Kill 'em all.

Yeah, and when they get really scared, they sell. A lot.

Yeah, and when they get really scared, they sell. A lot.

We could get Pavlovian dogs, monkeys or a software package to do that.

Oh wait, it's all driven by software anyway. Maybe the Wall Street assparts can get a job oiling switches on the NY subway or something.

Dow is down aroun 200 and nobody has bumped this today? What is going on?

The dow is still up about 350 from February so do we have an official apocalypse yet?

The dow is up about 350 290 from February so do we have an official apocalypse yet? :wacko:

The dow is still up about 350 from February so do we have an official apocalypse yet?

I'm sure the stormcrows will be along soon to announce the coming of Ragnarok.

I'm sure the stormcrows will be along soon to announce the coming of Ragnarok.

I'm out about 17 grand over the last three weeks or so but I don't see that as a big deal. All it does is enable me to buy more shares for the same amount of outlay.

I'm out about 17 grand over the last three weeks or so but I don't see that as a big deal. All it does is enable me to buy more shares for the same amount of outlay.

We have begun a 5 year bear market - meaning the bottom will be in 5 years. This is just the beginning - I care about my fellow huddlers even if you do mock my predictions. Re-allocating to cash will not hurt you, the worst it will do is limit profits IF the market goes up - but the market isn't going up, it's headed DOWN.

We have begun a 5 year bear market - meaning the bottom will be in 5 years. This is just the beginning - I care about my fellow huddlers even if you do mock my predictions. Re-allocating to cash will not hurt you, the worst it will do is limit profits IF the market goes up - but the market isn't going up, it's headed DOWN.

I knew you'd be all over that post, I just didn't expect it to be so speedy.

I doubt most long-term (401K) investors bought enough shares from November 08 to February 10 (14 months) to outwiegh all the losses from all the other shares they puchased from 2004 to today.

The 350 increase from February means less than nothing compared to the opportunity cost of not being able to grow (or the losses suffered on) any investments made over the last 6 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EDJI+Basic+Chart&t=5y

I knew you'd be all over that post, I just didn't expect it to be so speedy.

I know you're older than me and really, I do care. If I wasn't so certain I'd keep quiet but I think it's fairly obvious how confident I am about what's happening. Remember, cash equivalents won't hurt you (t-bills, t-bonds).

brent, no disrespect intended, but this market sell off has nothing to do with the wave. the world is garbage. the euro is dead. these things didnt happen because of some wave theory. we are dropping because the world is in deep, deep trouble.

I know you're older than me and really, I do care. If I wasn't so certain I'd keep quiet but I think it's fairly obvious how confident I am about what's happening. Remember, cash equivalents won't hurt you (t-bills, t-bonds).

What about a money market fund as follows:

Portfolio Holdings, Weightings and Allocation

Top Fixed-Income Holdings

(as of 12-31-09)¤

US TREASURY BILLS, 0.000% 4.9%

GENERAL ELECTRIC CAP CORP. FRN 4.8%

FEDERAL HOME LN MTGE CORP. FRN 4.3%

US TREASURY BILLS, 0.000% 4.3%

FEDERAL HOME LN BANK FRN 3.2%

FEDERAL HOME LN MTG CORP. FRN 3.2%

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN FRN 3.2%

CITIGROUP FUNDING INC. FRN 2.8%

FEDERAL HOME LOAN BANK FRN 2.8%

FEDERAL HOME LOAN BANK NTS 2.7%

Totals 36.2% of assets

Top Sector Weightings

(as of 12-31-09)¤

Corporates 34.0%

Government Bonds 33.3%

Agency 32.7%

Asset Allocation (as of 12-31-09)¤

Bond 100.0%

brent, no disrespect intended, but this market sell off has nothing to do with the wave. the world is garbage. the euro is dead. these things didnt happen because of some wave theory. we are dropping because the world is in deep, deep trouble.

I never said it's happening because of the wave, the wave simply indicates what is happening, that is all. The waves have been tracked for 70+ years. The global problems becoming more apparent is a result of collective pessimism. It's not like the world just started to get bad and corrupt or that credit just started expanding. What we're seeing now is a result of decades of corruption and credit expansion being masked and the waves only indicate how far along we are on the optimistic or pessimistic side of it we are/were.

Trust me, the EWT isn't that basic and I find it pretty offensive that you can't give me more credit than that. I never said or claimed that a wave moves the market. What I've said is that the waves track/predict human psychology and that mass human psychology moves the market - which seems pretty obvious to anyone that follows or trades the market.

What about a money market fund as follows:

Portfolio Holdings, Weightings and Allocation

Top Fixed-Income Holdings

(as of 12-31-09)¤

US TREASURY BILLS, 0.000% 4.9%

GENERAL ELECTRIC CAP CORP. FRN 4.8%

FEDERAL HOME LN MTGE CORP. FRN 4.3% US TREASURY BILLS, 0.000% 4.3%

FEDERAL HOME LN BANK FRN 3.2%

FEDERAL HOME LN MTG CORP. FRN 3.2%

FEDERAL NATL MTG ASSN FRN 3.2%

CITIGROUP FUNDING INC. FRN 2.8%

FEDERAL HOME LOAN BANK FRN 2.8%

FEDERAL HOME LOAN BANK NTS 2.7% Totals 36.2% of assets

Top Sector Weightings

(as of 12-31-09)¤

Corporates 34.0%

Government Bonds 33.3%

Agency 32.7%

Asset Allocation (as of 12-31-09)¤

Bond 100.0%

Try to find the fund that has the highest allocation of cash, t-bills and t-bonds. Anything that has holdings in stocks or equities, bank or corporate bonds is not a good option. Most 401ks don't have solid cash options (or cash equivalents) so it might be tough. I've bolded the BAD ones above.

I doubt most long-term (401K) investors bought enough shares from November 08 to February 10 (14 months) to outwiegh all the losses from all the other shares they puchased from 2004 to today.

The 350 increase from February means less than nothing compared to the opportunity cost of not being able to grow (or the losses suffered on) any investments made over the last 6 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EDJI+Basic+Chart&t=5y

I'm just wondering why the doom and gloom didn't "start" in February and not now?

I'm just wondering why the doom and gloom didn't "start" in February and not now?

Pretty simple...the YOY numbers artificially started to appear much better on paper in and around November 2009 (since they were being compared to November 2008, and so on in ensuing months). People are now realizing that the economic growth they thought was going to happen in 2010 is going to be a very long and drawn out process, and we won't get back to pre-2008 levels for another several years.

Stocks jumped the shark, and are way overvalued at these levels...and will continue to be until jobs growth is more than just a blip her and a blip there. I said it about six months ago....our bottom is around 6500-7000, give or take a few hundred points.

it aint gonna be pretty.

Pretty simple...the YOY numbers artificially started to appear much better on paper in and around November 2009 (since they were being compared to November 2008, and so on in ensuing months). People are now realizing that the economic growth they thought was going to happen in 2010 is going to be a very long and drawn out process, and we won't get back to pre-2008 levels for another several years.

Stocks jumped the shark, and are way overvalued at these levels...and will continue to be until jobs growth is more than just a blip her and a blip there. I said it about six months ago....our bottom is around 6500-7000, give or take a few hundred points.

it aint gonna be pretty.

Maybe for this year. The true bottom range in about 5 years will be 1k-3k in the DOW.

I think we'll be at 8500 by July, maybe sooner.

Edited by Brentastic

Maybe for this year. The true bottom range in about 5 years will be 1k-3k in the DOW.

I think we'll be at 8500 by July, maybe sooner.

the dow will never get to 3k because the world would be over by then. its simply impossible.

the dow will never get to 3k because the world would be over by then. its simply impossible.

Exactly. Violent revolution would sweep half the world and the other half would regress fifty years at least. There is no way that will be allowed to happen as absolutely no-one has a vested interest in it.