[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Economy and Stock Market

Brentastic

Now I have no problem with someone making arguments or counterpoints, but all to often it is just name calling and one line gocha's that aren't meant to do anything other than to try to humiliate someone or to discredit someone rather then the point they are making.

Perhaps the problem isn't everyone else, Brent?

Deja Vu all over again.

Deja Vu all over again.

I'm just putting it out there.

Edited to add: I'm not going to pretend that I have any idea of what all is going on in the world with regards to economics. As always - I enjoy learning from the point - counter point that goes on here.

I do feel like I've a good understanding of people though and stand by the odds that the guy with the presumption to suggest that most of the people here are wrong on an issue is the guy who might not be seeing things clearly - especially when you consider the cross-section of society here and consider that some of the people here are experts on economics.

Edited by Duchess Jack

as far as name-calling and one liners....ok, you've got wiegie saying brent's hypothesis is idiotic,

For the record, that is not an ad hominem attack... it is my professional opinion about the Elliot Wave Hypothesis.

I'm just putting it out there.

Oh, and I agree. There are things posted that are obviously going to cause a certain type of response; and often the original post doesn't have any substantial topic worthy of discussing; or it's already been beaten to death by the main players in this forum. To incite and then complain about responses (i.e..."not discussing the point") is either from being completely oblivious or just plain weak; most likely a combination of both. I'm a proponent of pulling your head out and manning up; not whining about being a victim.

Edited to add: I'm not going to pretend that I have any idea of what all is going on in the world with regards to economics. As always - I enjoy learning from point - counter point. I do feel like I've a good understanding of people though and stand by the odds that the guy with the presumption to suggest that most of the people here are wrong on an issue is the guy who might not be seeing things clearly - especially when you consider the cross-section of society here and that some of the people here are experts on economics.

Same here, I've said before I really have no idea what is going to happen and I wouldn't be surprised if the market crashes substantially. I just don't believe in everything that everyone is claiming; specifically the evidence they are using for their opinions. Apparently, in Brent's mind that makes me a sheep, follower, idiot, etc etc.....

Edited by bushwacked

As I said - I don't know very much about economics - but I kind of feel like we are too big to fail. The world needs America and its gluttony and consuming power. What are other nations going to do - come in and take money that we don't have? I am sure that there are other things nations can do - but anything done that causes America to stuggle any more than is needed will be reflected across the industrialized world within few months.

I mean - heck - if not America, who is going to buy China's lead toys?

I - of course don't want things to get any worse - but I have a hard time stressing over it.

I - of course don't want things to get any worse - but I have a hard time stressing over it.

The time to get truly stressed was a year and a half ago--at that stage we were truly on the brink. As much as popular opinion hates the bank bailout and the stimulus plan, they may very well have saved us from another collapse of Great Depression magnitude.

The time to get truly stressed was a year and a half ago--at that stage we were truly on the brink. As much as popular opinion hates the bank bailout and the stimulus plan, they may very well have saved us from another collapse of Great Depression magnitude.

OK, but from a macro-economic standpoint, what are we going to do about our debt? We can't just grow ourselves out of the problem right? :wacko:

The time to get truly stressed was a year and a half ago--at that stage we were truly on the brink.

That's why I'm holding position now. I kept my money in stocks then and went balls to the wall at the bottom of the market, which paid off hughly. I'm gonna do the same thing again. If I'm wrong, well f it - who cares?

OK, but from a macro-economic standpoint, what are we going to do about our debt? We can't just grow ourselves out of the problem right? :wacko:

Ideally, yes.

Of course I am not certain I trust any of our current political leadership to make the decisions necessary to make that a reality. So, there will likely be some pain, just not the total financial armageddon type of pain we almost experienced.

I didn't really like the bank bailout, but I understand it and accept it as being successful. The Stimulus though still ticks me off. It's over $800+ Billion, and the Administration has barely spent 1/3 of it while unemployment continues to hover around 10%. And it's not just the amount of money they've spent from the Stimulus, but it's the assanine way that they've spent it that ticks me off even more.

Article from the WSJ back in February of this year:

Of the $179 billion in stimulus funds paid out last year, $112 billion has gone out in the form of large checks to state governments to plug holes in school, Medicaid and unemployment-benefits budgets, or to increase funding for established programs, such as food stamps, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis.

in addition to actions by the fed. but of course there is no evidence the stimulus bill had anything to do with averting another great depression, that is just a talking point you can't back up empirically. TARP and the fed policies, for all the debate over how well they were targeted, whether they were robust enough, and so on, at least went to the heart of the problem -- tight money, lack of liquidity, toxic assets and such in the financial sector. the stimulus bill was just a grab bag of spending aimed haphazardly at various pet causes and projects with the idea that it didn't really matter much where the money went, government spending just had to step in and fill in for consumer spending to boost aggregate demand for the whole economy in hopes that it would prime the pump, and get other people spending and hiring.

point being...government action was warranted and in many cases somewhat effective. but not ALL government action was money wisely spent. a lot of it represents throwing good money after bad, perverse incentives, and typical washington profligacy gone haywire.

we'd have to grow faster than china to cover all of our obligations with respect to medicare and SS. and/or hike taxes massively and across the board. but then how do you grow? the only way out REALLY is to pull back on the reigns hard when it comes to spending and entitlements. but instead we are going to the spurs....

yea....and we just pushed our problems into the future. govt keeps printing money to solve problems. that aint good.

states are still bankrupt. jobs gone. banks insolvent.

Edited by dmarc117

Most on here are the type of people who stand around and do nothing while someone is getting raped or robbed.

I don't usually join the anonymous internet user chest thumping threads about politics, but this is a pretty stupid comment.

Just curious: When you were witnessing the September 11th terrorist attacks on TV, did you saddle up and attack the enemy? Or did you just sit there and watch?

See how silly overgeneralizing can be?

Welcome back to the herd bro.

yea....and we just pushed our problems into the future. govt keeps printing money to solve problems. that aint good.

states are still bankrupt. jobs gone. banks insolvent.

I read a good analogy recently that went something like this:

"We're driving on a treacherous road to an unknown destination and we've used our last spare tire."

I would be you thousands of dollars that Roubini is not basing his predictions on the Elliot Wave Hypothesis.

If 2 people make a similar prediction, especially a prediction that 99% don't agree with, and that prediction comes true - who are you to say one method of deriving said prediction is flawed over the other? There are many ways to solve a problem - mathematically speaking, there are several ways to solve a problem but if the correct answer is derived accross various methods, who are you to denounce one method while praising another? Especially if you did not get the answer right yourself?!?! And especially if you don't even understand the method you are discrediting?!?!? I don't know, to me that sounds foolish.

Another thing - the EWT may by the primary tool I use to predict market movement, but it's not the only tool I use. I've written enough in various threads about the economy, the market, the Federal Reserve and the banking system to adequately prove that I know what I'm talking about. You may not agree with my views but it doesn't make my views incorrect and for you to act as if I'm some stoner dope making bizzarre claims based on nothing substantial is unfair and inaccurate. I do know what I'm talking about, I've been talking about deflation since last year and finally we are starting to hear deflation rumblings by 'experts'. I've been talking about getting cash-heavy and some 'experts' are also recommending this now. Everything I've been forecasting is starting to be recognized by 'experts', yet because I'm not an economist or an 'expert' my forecasts don't count?

And I don't nee a bunch of you sychophants trying to justify why it's ok to pile on. The evidence is there via this thread and several others. If you read all the posts, it's very clear that I only react after being attacked first. I'm human, I will eventually react. It doesn't make me cowardly or weak or lame or blah, blah, blah, it makes me human and I'm not ashamed of it.

One final comment - I find it annoying that Azz, who maybe has 2 posts out of the entire 18 pages, comes in here at the end of all the fireworks and tries to spark more flames - THAT is immature, self-serving and way too easy. Azz, you try so hard to be the staple of all-knowingness here at the huddle but your game is predictible and boring. The only thing you've proven to me is that you were probably on the debate team in high school and that you gain strength and ingratiate yourself through other's weaknesses - these are traits of a coward. Out of all the 'bigger voices' here, you are the king of belittlement.

So, many of you know where I stand on this topic, if not you can see many posts here:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3075833

Just a few short weeks ago, I forecasted a HUGH market reversal. My forecast received a lot of criticism and few supporters (Avernus is the only huddler who comes to mind). A few days later the market began to drop and it's continued to drop steadily since, dropping 800 points in the last 3 weeks. I forecasted a major drop which could see the DOW below 1,000 in the next several years - that is a worst case scenario. I could easily see the DOW to 6,000 sometime this year, possibly by the end of summer.

So huddlers - where do you see the market going from here? It's still not too late to re-allocate your 401ks to cash equivalents during this major down move. Perhaps some of you now realize what kind of drop we could be in for? I think there's gonna be a lot of market discussion in the coming months, so I wanted to start a fresh thread to work from.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Try to keep the name calling to a minimum and let's get some quality posts in here. I think it's obvious our economy is in bad shape and a lot of crap needs to be filtered out. What say you fellow huddlers? I'm curious on your perspectives.

I find it very ironic that this topic was started the day of the lowest point for the dow this year. Could we see a new low point sometime next week? Sure it could. But from 2/8 to 4/26, the Dow gained almost 1300 points. That is a 1300 point gain that was realized or a 1300 point gain that you didn't accept in a risky market. That is a jump of 13% in less than three months. Now the Dow has found its way back down to the 2/8 level of under 10K again. Maybe the Markets climb a bit again or maybe they descend a bit more.

Edited by MikesVikes