[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2010 Vancouver Olympics

SteelBunz

That it is. It's the only hockey I ever watch.

I know. Are the rules different for the NHL? The rare times I've watched the NHL (even rarer now that DTV has blocked Vs network), the ref is stopping play every minute. Olympic hockey seems to have a better flow with less interruption. They play like 5 minutes straight without stoppage and it appears to be more wide open.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. Are the rules different for the NHL? The rare times I've watched the NHL (even rarer now that DTV has blocked Vs network), the ref is stopping play every minute. Olympic hockey seems to have a better flow with less interruption. They play like 5 minutes straight without stoppage and it appears to be more wide open.

For one thing, there are no commercial timeouts in Olympic hockey, unlike the several you get each period in the NHL. Also, as teams tend to have the best players their country can offer, you typically don't get the punk instigators out there which can cause a myriad of penalties and stoppages.

For one thing, there are no commercial timeouts in Olympic hockey, unlike the several you get each period in the NHL. Also, as teams tend to have the best players their country can offer, you typically don't get the punk instigators out there which can cause a myriad of penalties and stoppages.

Are the international(Olympic) rinks still larger, so there's more room to skate thus less clutching and grabbing?

There are some differences. International vs NHL rules

The first question I had the first night was why is the ice NHL size. That always seems to be that one weird little factor at the Olympics that the US finds tough to get used to. Like playing a 9-foot pool table instead of a bar-sized.....lol. Takes a few games to get used to the angles and space.

There's the answer....Olympics in North America? NHL-sized ice. I didn't know that. :wacko:

And Nun is right......this is one reason they've thrown hockey on MSNBC and CNBC......commercial time.

Wow......Canada gave Russia a beatdown. A total domination......I didn't see THAT coming. :D

And Russia not medaling?? REALLY didn't see that coming......lol. I guess Ovechkin mouthing off about everything in Russia being the best was a bit premature. :D I think the guy is unbelievable...love watching him. But he and Crosby were sort of non-factors in that game. After all the hype. :D

Well said. The olympic teams are typically all very skilled players. You dont have your goons or grinders out there mucking it up...

Also, the margin for error is small in the olympics so you get more guys going all-out like you do in the Stanley Cup playoffs which is also great hockey.

And then you have the national pride factor and that helps, too.

Are the international(Olympic) rinks still larger, so there's more room to skate thus less clutching and grabbing?

Olympic(IIHF) rinks are the same length(200ft) but about 15 feet wider than NHL rinks. The extra width typically favors the better skating teams/players whereas the NHL rinks make it easier for the physical teams/players to slow down the faster teams cause they can run them out of room easier. The NHL rinks have smaller neutral zones which make it easier for teams to clog it up and slow down a faster, more skilled team (which is why you see some NHL games end up not as exciting as others).

I am a little surprised that these games are being allowed to play on NHL rinks but (as most of these guys are NHL players) it doesnt make as much a difference as it would back when there were no pros playing. At least, when no pros from North America were playing, anyway...