[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2010 Vancouver Olympics

SteelBunz

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shuster has to be the worst skip ever... and not a very good curler either. He didn't appear to take anything seriously.

And they sat the only curler worth a darn last night. I can understand why he is going to retire.... being stuck on that team is not a good thing.

Leave us hope that next time we have someone that wants to win.

There were a few eyebrows raised when Shuster split with Fenson after 2006. That being said they made it through qualifiers and beat everyone they needed to (including Fenson) in order to make it to the Olympics, which is no small feat. Still, his shot calling and shot making were dubious at best. As for not taking things seriously, that all depends on perspective. In the game against Britian where Smith was looking at a double take and said he could make that shot, while Shuster bet him $20 that he couldn't, I thought that was pretty funny. Aside from the fact it was a really low percentage shot that Smith missed anyways.

When you're getting smoked in a competition, sometimes all you can do is try to have a little fun and make the best of a bad situation. I don't think Shuster didn't care about winning, I think he was trying to make the best of a bad situation at the end. The US team skips, be it Shuster or Smith for the men, or McCormick or Pottinger for the women, all curled very poorly at that position this Olympics.

But the main reason I'm glad it's all over is that if I hear one more commentator say that having the hammer is like being on a power play I'm going to pop 'em in the grill. What a stupid analogy.

But the main reason I'm glad it's all over is that if I hear one more commentator say that having the hammer is like being on a power play I'm going to pop 'em in the grill. What a stupid analogy.

I did think that it was pretty funny when the pregnant woman was curling and the announcer mentioned that they were on the power play because they had 4 1/2 curlers out there.

There were a few eyebrows raised when Shuster split with Fenson after 2006. That being said they made it through qualifiers and beat everyone they needed to (including Fenson) in order to make it to the Olympics, which is no small feat. Still, his shot calling and shot making were dubious at best. As for not taking things seriously, that all depends on perspective. In the game against Britian where Smith was looking at a double take and said he could make that shot, while Shuster bet him $20 that he couldn't, I thought that was pretty funny. Aside from the fact it was a really low percentage shot that Smith missed anyways.

They were on a lucky run in the qualifiers.... as evidenced by their showing afterwards through to the start of the Olympics. The USCA should have taken that to heart. As far as that bet.... that was a really bad thing to do... it was like Shuster was saying Smith had no chance and he had no faith in him at all. As a skip aren't you supposed to be more supportive and positive? Maybe I just look at it different.

When you're getting smoked in a competition, sometimes all you can do is try to have a little fun and make the best of a bad situation. I don't think Shuster didn't care about winning, I think he was trying to make the best of a bad situation at the end. The US team skips, be it Shuster or Smith for the men, or McCormick or Pottinger for the women, all curled very poorly at that position this Olympics.

Agree with this all the way. LOL

I never expected us to medal. Just not in the same class as a good few of the other countries. However, I did expect us to at least put up a good fight and make the other teams work for it. Giving away the first four games when we actually showed some curling savvy was just plain unforgivable. After the second game was given away by Shuster I would have been yelling and knocking some heads were I the coach. The change needed to be made then, as it was obvious that Shuster doesn't have a take it up a notch mode. Pressure is a bad thing for him it appears.

I'm just disappointed I guess. The bad showing was a downer all the way.

:wacko: And is it just me? Did the commentator introducing the segment for the day always look sorta pissed that he drew the "curling assignment"??

I never expected us to medal. Just not in the same class as a good few of the other countries. However, I did expect us to at least put up a good fight and make the other teams work for it. Giving away the first four games when we actually showed some curling savvy was just plain unforgivable. After the second game was given away by Shuster I would have been yelling and knocking some heads were I the coach. The change needed to be made then, as it was obvious that Shuster doesn't have a take it up a notch mode. Pressure is a bad thing for him it appears.

I'm just disappointed I guess. The bad showing was a downer all the way.

After Shuster gave away the 3rd game, I thought he would have stepped down and decided to throw a different position. I've never had a coach when I played, but even I know that if I'm not getting it done at skip, and my 3rd is making shots, then I'd be more than willing to let them take over the next game and I'd throw a different position. I'd even be willing to drop down to lead if need be. Every single person on those teams has had experience skipping at some level, don't let the commentators make you think otherwise. It's not like Benton or Isaacson never skipped a team in their lives. When you get to that level you've played every position. Maybe not at the world level, but you've done it. Skipping is skipping. You call the game and you make the shots. If you can't handle the pressure, give it to someone else. I've won games on my last shot and lost games on my last shot, but I've never been as consistently bad for as many games as Shuster was.

As far as that bet.... that was a really bad thing to do... it was like Shuster was saying Smith had no chance and he had no faith in him at all. As a skip aren't you supposed to be more supportive and positive? Maybe I just look at it different.

What Shuster should have done was talk Smith out of that shot. It was a terrible choice with very little chance of success. Smith should have known better as well. Draw for one, take your point, and then try to steal. Basic strategy right there, and the US tried to get too cute too many times and it bit them in the ass. Repeatedly. They'll all have to buy seat doughnuts for the plane ride home.

I totally agree with you though sky, major disappointment with that team.

Curling really is the only constant of the Olympics...it's on just about every day, and fun to watch. Our guys sucked wind, especially the dude in the hat. Choked just about every time I saw him need to make an important shot, some of them I'm sure any world class shooter would make.

Canada or Russia in hockey...one will go without a medal. Didn't see that coming.

Curling really is the only constant of the Olympics...it's on just about every day, and fun to watch. Our guys sucked wind, especially the dude in the hat. Choked just about every time I saw him need to make an important shot, some of them I'm sure any world class shooter would make.

Canada or Russia in hockey...one will go without a medal. Didn't see that coming.

+1

It's been fun watching curling in the afternoon.

But with the time difference only being 3 hours to the East Coast, I've been pretty disappointed in all the tape delayed coverage. I mean seriously.....Days of Our Lives, Ellen Degeneres and The Doctors can't just take a 2 week break?? :D

And the 3pm-5pm coverage has been dominated with the cross-country events. Now.....I know the cross country and biathalon events are the oldest in the olympics....I can appreciated that. But come on......can't we watch the Super G's, downhills and aerials live?? :D

Oh no...all the hypochondriacs out there HAVE to watch the Doctors. :wacko:

THANKFULLY......it's a hockey day. US vs Sweden @ 3pm on NBC. Canada vs Russia tonight @ 7pm on CNBC. :D

And the women weren't any better. Both teams finished at 2-7 and both teams had to concede their last games. :wacko:

+1 great performance by Joannie Rochette especially considering the circumstances. I hope she wins it all

Me too, but realistically the best she will do is the bronze medal.

It's live online. :D

US vs Swiss Live

Thanks Bunzie, but I should have also included

Stupid work blocking all streaming audio and video from the internet.... :wacko:

Ironically, I work for a company that's based out of Canada.

Ironically more, it's the company who built the Whistler sliding hill..... :D

Fortunately, I'm in the environmental side of the company, and had NOTHING to do with any of that (or anything else that happens outside the US)

Fortunately this attempted derailment is now over.... :D