[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8.8 Quake hits Chile

BillyBalata

I have 3 friends in Chile and we got a text from them at 4am stating that it was a mess but as of then they were OK. Cell phones were going dead but they did get one group text off before losing communication. They were supposed to be heading back to the states in the next few days. Not sure how those travel plans will be impacted. Scary stuff from what I have seen on the news.

Mom & Brother live there as well & both are in the mountains.

How far is that from the coast? isnt all teh islands volcanic mountains? I ahvent been there . . but I woudl assume that the topography would rise fairly quickly once you get off the beach?

Can anyone weigh in here? Cause a 8-16 foot wave is no joke . . . if the land slopes up right away that will mitigate damage . . .

Cause a 8-16 foot wave is no joke . . . if the land slopes up right away that will mitigate damage . . .

It's the sheer volume of water and not so much wave height that is typically the primary concern. Potential of fatalities should be significantly mitigated with the advance notice. Potential damage close to shore would obviously still be high.

Edited by bushwacked

This earthquake was FIVE HUNDRED times more powerful than the one that hit Haiti. :wacko:

From what I have been seeing on the news the damage should not be as extensive and the loss of life far smaller than Haiti due to Chile be way better prepared with building code enforcement and such. This is not Chile's first rodeo so to speak.

It's a Tsunami warning not a biblical tidal wave warning.

So it's "only" the big island Hawaii? I thought they were saying Hawaii ie meaning the chain. d'oh.

And it seems kinda weird that this would even be as significant as they say - I mean I realize 8.8 is a massive quake, but Hawaii is very damn far from Chile - looks like ~ 5/6000 miles-ish or more on a map glance. I know tsunamis build up, but eventually they'd start to subside over such long distances. Also apparently this thing will travel northwest...I wonder if that's due to currents or plate tectonics, or both, or.....

Guess I need to watch those weather report specials more.

Edited by BeeR

depends on where you are, but I'm hearing 8-16 feet in Hawaii....southern coasts the worst.

They just put out an advisory for California, 2-3 feet in some spots.

I'm tsunami-illiterate, but...

is a 2-3 foot wave really a big deal? I think we get bigger waves than that at the Jersey coast all the time?

This earthquake was FIVE HUNDRED times more powerful than the one that hit Haiti. :wacko:

That's what I thought - the Richter scale is logarithmic and gets exponentially more powerful with every step up. I cannot remember an earthquake that large.

That's what I thought - the Richter scale is logarithmic and gets exponentially more powerful with every step up. I cannot remember an earthquake that large.

This is the 5th most powerful earth quake since 1900. That's a lot of earth quakes!

Amazingly enough, I just checked and the Sumatra earthquake that caused the tsunami back in 2004 was a 9.2... meaning that this current earthquake was less than 1/4 as powerful as that one. :wacko::D

I'm tsunami-illiterate, but...

is a 2-3 foot wave really a big deal? I think we get bigger waves than that at the Jersey coast all the time?

Maybe...maybe not. They say its the speed and volume of water. Once it hits land, it can keep going and destroy everything in its path. It can get bigger is shallower water.