[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Poppiing the Question

AFRO

OK, so my girl and I were having a conversation about getting married..

questions include..

What is that formula for the price you should be shelling out again? Two months pay or some such calculation? (is that gross or net?)

Do I have to get an engagement ring and a seperate wedding ring? (can I get them packaged?)

Do you guys have a preferred Store to get "girlie goodies" aka.. diamonds, jewels and such?

How did some of yous set up the question/Ring presentation?

I went to a local jewlery store so I have some ideas now..

but any help (or humor) will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

questions include..

What is that formula for the price you should be shelling out again? Two months pay or some such calculation? (is that gross or net?)

Do I have to get an engagement ring and a seperate wedding ring? (can I get them packaged?)

Do you guys have a preferred Store to get "girlie goodies" aka.. diamonds, jewels and such?

Thanks in advance

Where you from?

I bought the engaement and wedding band to match, you will find plenty of sets out there.

I spent about 10K on engagement 1.25/1.3 carat, 2 K on the matching wedding band

You don't wanna spoil them too much.

We had a fund raising drive for the DNR here in GA that we were voulnteering to work on in St. Simons Island. So, I got us a room at King and Prince. I had a friend of hers, while we were out at dinner, go and "decorate" the room. 12 dozen (144 roses, because 12 dozen can be confusing at times) roses throughout, candles, champagne, etc... When we walked in she thought it was just a beautiful suprise, I pulled the I gotta pee thing, to get to the safe in the bedroom to get the ring. When i came out she was sitting on the couch on the patio, looking out at the ocean and I proposed to her. She said 'No". So, my current wife, I just got really drunk and proposed to her at the Iron Maiden concert.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Don't do it. Marriage is nothing more than legal prostitution.

But if you are going to do it anyway. The three C's of a diamond are important. Others know more about this than me.

Never give it as a gift. It is a contract in a sense that way not a birthday or Christmas gift.

My dog did the proposing. I tied it to his collar and he came running into the room and I got and jumped up on the couch. I got down on one knee and untied it and asked her. It really meant a lot to her. In all reality it was the best thing I have done so far in my life. That first comment was just for laughs.

My dog did the proposing. I tied it to his collar and he came running into the room and I got and jumped up on the couch. I got down on one knee and untied it and asked her. It really meant a lot to her. In all reality it was the best thing I have done so far in my life. That first comment was just for laughs.

:wacko:He did not say if he got the dog for her son.

Edited by Big John

Where you from?

NW IL currently..

I bought the engaement and wedding band to match, you will find plenty of sets out there.

I spent about 10K on engagement 1.25/1.3 carat, 2 K on the matching wedding band

You don't wanna spoil them too much.

We had a fund raising drive for the DNR here in GA that we were voulnteering to work on in St. Simons Island. So, I got us a room at King and Prince. I had a friend of hers, while we were out at dinner, go and "decorate" the room. 12 dozen (144 roses, because 12 dozen can be confusing at times) roses throughout, candles, champagne, etc... When we walked in she thought it was just a beautiful suprise, I pulled the I gotta pee thing, to get to the safe in the bedroom to get the ring. When i came out she was sitting on the couch on the patio, looking out at the ocean and I proposed to her. She said 'No". So, my current wife, I just got really drunk and proposed to her at the Iron Maiden concert.

LMATFO!!!

1) Buy a ring you want to give her; do NOT go ring shopping with her. If she decides to marry you for jewelry, she's not who you want to marry.

2) The whole "two months of salary" is a lie foisted upon the public by the diamond / jewelry industry.

3) If you can swing it, get at least 1.000 carats so she can tell her friends that "Oh, it's a little over one carat.".

4) If you can swing it, get a diamond that is in one of the top three or four grades for color and clarity.

5) Sacrifice size for color and clarity.

6) A well cut stone should not be some sort of "premium" price; just do not buy a poorly cut stone.

7) Go shop at the malls, but buy from a diamond broker -- prices will be TONS less. Another option (that I've never pursued) would be to buy a diamond from someone off of craigslist -- meet them at a jewelry appraiser to have them attest to the size, color, cut, etc. -- but agree on a price ahead of time (i.e., as long as the diamond is as you described in your ad, I'll pay $_____ for it) ... then, once you get the stone, spend a couple hundred dollars to get it reset however it is that you'd like it reset.

8) Get a simple wedding band; you don't want the band distracting you from the engagement ring.

Good luck!

Edited by muck

http://www.pricescope.com/

very good site with lots of info and very helpful forums too

I bought my diamond loose from Solomon Bros (in Atl...had a friend look at it for me to make sure it looked as good as the numbers said it should) and had it set by another jeweler...the initial setting was screwed up but was fixed and done properly when all was said and done.

Here is link to the diamond with "stats" that I got...if you do your homework you can get a very good deal and a very good diamond

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=13859

Edited by keggerz

I do remember, an old business partner of mine was very much into high end timepieces and his wife into jewelry... he recommended a site, bluenile.com

When you propose, put the ring in loaf of bread with a lot of nuts. After she eats it, tell her to check her stool carefully every day for the next two weeks (it could take a while to digest). When she finds it, ask her to marry you. She will love the originality and it will be a story the two of you can share with your friends forever.

Congrats.

Can't offer much advice other than to find a good jeweler that you can trust.

PS - BJ's will be few and far between after she says i do. It's a proven scientific fact.

not so, and according to Patty Stanger millionaire matchmaker lady...all u need to buy is a box of chocolates, it's a done deal then! lol!!

not so, and according to Patty Stanger millionaire matchmaker lady...all u need to buy is a box of chocolates, it's a done deal then! lol!!

Something tells me that your husbands' PM box is full with links to this post...

Thanks again for the replies fellas (and ladies)

I will check out the mentioned sites and such..

I will check back here over the next few days or so..for updates..

and more laughs!! lol

Scientific facts.. Oh no! :wacko: lol

Muck has good info in his post, especially the bit about sacrificing size for quality.

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. My wife insisted that I not get a full carat and only get 3/4. Am I ever glad that I took her shopping with me. We exchanged new wedding bands for our 18th anniversary and now she doesn't even wear it. The bottom line is that you should spend as much as you feel comfortable spending. If she works with her hands a lot or is rough on jewelry, go smaller. If she's into competing with her friends you can go larger but I would opt for a different model.

who is this patty stanger, and what kind of chocolate does she like?

When you propose, put the ring in loaf of bread with a lot of nuts. After she eats it, tell her to check her stool carefully every day for the next two weeks (it could take a while to digest). When she finds it, ask her to marry you. She will love the originality and it will be a story the two of you can share with your friends forever.

I gotta say that idea is pretty original :wacko::D

Then I look at his user name and its "JackAss"..with a Kamala Avater..LOL

It is also scientifically proven that a woman's definition of frequent is very different than a man's.

Oh, and box of See's is in the mail..... :wacko: :ducksandrunsfromScoobysHubby:

1) Buy a ring you want to give her; do NOT go ring shopping with her. If she decides to marry you for jewelry, she's not who you want to marry.

2) The whole "two months of salary" is a lie foisted upon the public by the diamond / jewelry industry.

3) If you can swing it, get at least 1.000 carats so she can tell her friends that "Oh, it's a little over one carat.".

4) If you can swing it, get a diamond that is in one of the top three or four grades for color and clarity.

5) Sacrifice size for color and clarity.

6) A well cut stone should not be some sort of "premium" price; just do not buy a poorly cut stone.

7) Go shop at the malls, but buy from a diamond broker -- prices will be TONS less. Another option (that I've never pursued) would be to buy a diamond from someone off of craigslist -- meet them at a jewelry appraiser to have them attest to the size, color, cut, etc. -- but agree on a price ahead of time (i.e., as long as the diamond is as you described in your ad, I'll pay $_____ for it) ... then, once you get the stone, spend a couple hundred dollars to get it reset however it is that you'd like it reset.

8) Get a simple wedding band; you don't want the band distracting you from the engagement ring.

Good luck!

:wacko: Bro, thanks..On it!

It sure is nice to know that a question (thread) that is not sport related can get some dap..

Thanks again huddlers

questions include..

Thanks in advance

Some of the fellas have already given some good info and I'll throw my $0.02 in as well...

Do some reading online about diamonds before you actually go look at them. Learn the 4 Cs(Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat). You dont need to be a diamond expert, but the more familiar you are with the 4 Cs, the more likely you are to make an informed purchase and (thus) get the most bang for your buck.

A well cut diamond will look bigger and out-sparkle a poorly cut diamond. If you go to a good jeweler(I'd avoid the mall stores) or diamond importer, they should ask you what you're looking for and then show you several loose diamonds. Whenever possible, look at loose diamonds(not mounted in a setting) and under a scope if they have one(they should).

More thoughts(not necessarily in order of importance)...

-sacrifice size for a better cut

-better cut diamonds will sparkle more and appear bigger when you look at them

-the more clear a diamond, the more light passes through and reflects back. keep that in mind, but dont get too caught up in it. very few diamonds are flawless and most have inclusions. the key is to get one that has smaller and/or fewer inclusions so they dont block the light passing through...

-get a diamond certifed by the GIA(with the appropriate paperwork) and laser enscribed serial # on it. this way, you know your stone has been inspected by an independent expert and the serial number will help you make sure you always have your diamond

-spend what you're comfortable with and dont let anyone tell you you gotta go nuts and get some gigantic rock for her

After shopping at Arthur's, Wedding Day Diamonds, Jared, and The Shane Co, I went back to Shane Co and bought from them. They had the best sales staff who really took the time to show me the most diamonds and help me see the differences. I had it mounted in just a solitaire and then (after I gave it to her) we went back and she picked out the ring and got it sized and mounted. We bought our wedding bands there, too. Hers has diamonds on it as well whereas mine does not. Shane Co offers a lifetime warranty and cleans her rings at no additional cost. We were both happy with them. So, if there is one near you, I'd recommend at least checking them out. They have a web site, too, so you can get an idea of prices. I would definitely recommend only buying a diamond you've looked at in person. You want to see how it sparkles and stuff and you just cant tell that from a pic online.

Hope that helps and feel free to shout if there is any more info I can provide.