[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you had to do it all over again...

SuperBalla

Now...I am married, so I don't need advice in proposing, atleast yet anyway. :D However, my step brother is going to propose to his girlfriend in the next two months. He looks up to me (like Cliaz, Whomper, Puddy, and Darin do) so he called and asked me for advice. He wants to suprise her and include her family. Any suggestions besides "Don't Do It !!!"

I gave him two suggestions off the top of my head but what are some of the ways you guys have proposed and/or would if you could do it all over again? Thanks in advance. :D

He looks up to me (like Cliaz, Whomper, Puddy, and Darin do) so he called and asked me for advice.

If I'd have known you back when I got married I could have used the advice. My wife got the absolute worst proposal of all time. I had pretty much talked her into moving in with me and when we presented that idea to her mother, my MIL said "I wished you'd get married first". I was like..."would you like to get married." That was it. No one knee, no ring ready, no romance. Not sure why she said yes :D

woud have selected a more scenic environment, but pretty happy with how i did it:

we were together for about 3+ years before i popped the question... we already went shopping for rings so she new it was coming..... one weekend we drove down to carmel for the weekend to do a little biking and diving. i had written a "resume" seeking employment as her husband and put it in our itinerary.... i had upgraded our room. at the time we were both in grad school and on a low budget.... so the plan was for her to look at the itinerary to figure out "what was wrong with the reservation." well... i had a jeep and our bikes up on the rack.... pulling in, a seat caught the overhang at the hotel..... ripped a bike and part of the rack off.... so here i am thinking about fixing my car and knowing i am about to propose... so at least her mind was completely off of anything other than the car while she was reading the resume trying to figure out what that was i discreatly got down on one knee and fished for the ring..... and the rest is history.
Edited by Bier Meister

woud have selected a more scenic environment, but pretty happy with how i did it.

It made you happy, eh? :D I think I'll try that idea when I'm ready to get married.

:tup:

EDIT: :doh: OK, now I can see what you actually did... or did I somehow miss the quote under your statement the first time? :D

Edited by TheGrunt

She probably thought it was a poll and didn't really think about what she was selecting other than the fact that she did not want to select the "Puddy" option.

What if she thought the poll question was 'want to select the "puddy" option?' If you look at it that then she did want to select the Puddy option. :D

Now...I am married, so I don't need advice in proposing, atleast yet anyway. :D However, my step brother is going to propose to his girlfriend in the next two months. He looks up to me (like Cliaz, Whomper, Puddy, and Darin do) so he called and asked me for advice. He wants to suprise her and include her family. Any suggestions besides "Don't Do It !!!"

I gave him two suggestions off the top of my head but what are some of the ways you guys have proposed and/or would if you could do it all over again? Thanks in advance. :tup:

:D

First off, my fiancee explicitly forbade me from proposing in front of her family (ie, at Christmas, etc.). Not saying your step-bro's chick is of the same ilk as mine, but he might want to rethink the whole including the family thing.

Secondly, put me in the boat with Puddy wishing I'd have done something a little more spectacular. The first time I proposed (back in '01, different chick, obviously) it was a HUGH ordeal (Disneyland, marching band, Disney characters, etc.). Wish I would have done something a little more "special", but not quite as boisterous as the first.

Let me pick my brain for a bit........

First off, my fiancee explicitly forbade me from proposing in front of her family (ie, at Christmas, etc.). Not saying your step-bro's chick is of the same ilk as mine, but he might want to rethink the whole including the family thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

You invite your future inlaws into the proposal and it seems to me that you are inviting them into the rest of your marriage.

Besides, if the woman says "no", he'll look like a tool in front of her whole family.

It made you happy, eh? :D I think I'll try that idea when I'm ready to get married.

:tup:

EDIT: :doh: OK, now I can see what you actually did... or did I somehow miss the quote under your statement the first time? :D

i edited while you were typing. but, regardless of whether i typed it or not, i was satisfied with what i had done.

Edited by Bier Meister

I proposed on Christmas Eve. It was late and her daughter had been in bed for a couple hours. We set up the big gifts from Santa under/near the tree for the little one. I had a white teddy bear stuffed animal that I had bought at a Hallmark store. The bear was holding a small gift bag. I placed the wrapped ring box inside that bag. She thought the bear was for her daughter but she noticed the tag on it said "for my sweetheart". I was sitting on the couch and told her to bring it over and look at it. She didn't even notice the box inside at first :D . I pointed it out and as she opened it up I assumed the position. She started to cry and of course said YES. Well, we're still engaged 6 years later. Haven't tied the knot yet. As long as she hasn't pressured me, I'm gonna let it roll the way it is. She has recently started mentioning it though so I may not be single very much longer.

I proposed on Christmas Eve. It was late and her daughter had been in bed for a couple hours. We set up the big gifts from Santa under/near the tree for the little one. I had a white teddy bear stuffed animal that I had bought at a Hallmark store. The bear was holding a small gift bag. I placed the wrapped ring box inside that bag. She thought the bear was for her daughter but she noticed the tag on it said "for my sweetheart". I was sitting on the couch and told her to bring it over and look at it. She didn't even notice the box inside at first :D . I pointed it out and as she opened it up I assumed the position. She started to cry and of course said YES. Well, we're still engaged 6 years later. Haven't tied the knot yet. As long as she hasn't pressured me, I'm gonna let it roll the way it is. She has recently started mentioning it though so I may not be single very much longer.

Just a second note. We have been dating since March 1999. She moved in with me after a year of dating so we've pretty much been just like a husband and wife for 7 years now.

I had a white teddy bear stuffed animal that I had bought at a Hallmark store. The bear was holding a small gift bag. I placed the wrapped ring box inside that bag.

one. cut hole in a box. two. put your junk in that box. three. make her open the box.

we were together for about 3+ years before i popped the question... we already went shopping for rings so she new it was coming..... one weekend we drove down to carmel for the weekend to do a little biking and diving. i had written a "resume" seeking employment as her husband and put it in our itinerary.... i had upgraded our room. at the time we were both in grad school and on a low budget.... so the plan was for her to look at the itinerary to figure out "what was wrong with the reservation." well... i had a jeep and our bikes up on the rack.... pulling in, a seat caught the overhang at the hotel..... ripped a bike and part of the rack off.... so here i am thinking about fixing my car and knowing i am about to propose... so at least her mind was completely off of anything other than the car while she was reading the resume trying to figure out what that was i discreatly got down on one knee and fished for the ring..... and the rest is history.

i edited while you were typing. but, regardless of whether i typed it or not, i was satisfied with what i had done.

Agreed. A well planned out proposal. :D

Hmmm, maybe this isn't the best place to mention I popped the questioni at a George Thorogood show :D.....

(well, it was actually 4th of July fireworks (on July 3rd), but it just gets confusing....)

Dunno. Things I thought I would regret (like letting her pick the ring and spending all the money I had at the time) I don't. Things I thought were cool at the time (like viewing the ring as her insurance policy in case I dumped her after law school) turned out to be pretty lame.

Some chicks are a little weird about proposals, and they have something pretty specific in mind for how they want things to go down. If your step-brother has one of *those* kinds of chicks, I'd recommend sticking pretty close to her script. Or dumping the picky bitch. Either way.

Edited by yo mama

nope would not change a thing...

we were at the hunting shack( before we owned it) for a 5 day weekend of debauchery and fishing.... had a custom ring made with sapphire and emerald in it.... after day 3 were were just sitting around the camp fire after a hard day of everything and i got down on bended knee, she about popped.... there is no phone and back then no cell phones so she had to wait 2 more days to call and tell here friends...

we stopped at the first place with a phone......

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Seems to me that making some big production out of a marriage proposal is the wrong way to start what is suppose to be the rest of your life with another person. Chances are if you're putting on a show for the start of the relationship, its on shaky ground to begin with.

I need more explanation as I don't agree. My wife still has a glow about her when she talks about how this skinny guy in a suit of armor woke her at about 7:00am and proposed to her with fur elise playing in the background. Married for 12 years and so far, so good.

And you know what, I was going after that glow. I wanted her to feel really special...because she is.

Now I feel ghey.