[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaction Ideas

SEC=UGA

Ok, I'm loooooong over due for a vacation, haven't really had one in 2 years. I'm up for going just about anywhere, but would prefer some ideas. I enjoy the ocean, but hate beaches, thus I would need a place where I can sit at a bar and stare at the beach or be on a beach where the sand is fine and dry not the sticky crap we have here in the SE. I like the mountains, but would have to have a lake or stream nearby for some fisihing. Or, I could always do one of those eco-tourism things where you hike through the rainforest or something like that ( actually have done this in Ecuador and it was a great deal of fun. Idnetified over 500 species of birds ).

I've considered Peru, Argentina, Costa Rica, Spain, and Scotland (I wanna visit as many distillers as possible in a week, wife isn't thrilled about that one.) I would also consider staying in the US, with San Diego at the Del Coronado being an option I have explored. But, I just think there may be something out there I missing.

Cost is not a huge factor, having said that, I'm not popping for $800 a night hotels. I have anywhere between 7 and 14 days over which to vacation, so location/travel time is not an issue. Huddlers, help me out here, I need to go somewhere soon beofre I go crazy and go on a streaking spree across Downtown Marietta.

Alaska, Hawaii, Colorado, San Diego, Ireland, Rome, Greece.

Is it you and the wife only, or any kids? If so, ages?

I have a one year old, who I might drop off with the inlaws.

Costa Rica is the most amazing place I've ever been. They have everything from 5-star oceanfront resorts to bungalows in the rainforest where you can see all kinds of wildlife up close, check out waterfalls, active volcanos, do a zip-line tour, etc. A lot of the beaches are pristine and completely untouched, not a hotel or house to be seen for miles. The people are really nice and everything is cheap, and the local food is delicious.

Ok, I'm loooooong over due for a vacation, haven't really had one in 2 years. I'm up for going just about anywhere, but would prefer some ideas. I enjoy the ocean, but hate beaches, thus I would need a place where I can sit at a bar and stare at the beach or be on a beach where the sand is fine and dry not the sticky crap we have here in the SE. I like the mountains, but would have to have a lake or stream nearby for some fisihing. Or, I could always do one of those eco-tourism things where you hike through the rainforest or something like that ( actually have done this in Ecuador and it was a great deal of fun. Idnetified over 500 species of birds ).

Get another couple or two together and rent a sail boat. Two of the best vacations I've ever had have been on 40' catamarans me and a couple buddies rented. We rent the bare boat and cook for ourselves or moor the boat and go into an island and eat. If you can't sail you can always hire a captain and a cook. Going the bare boat route and having 3 couples (most cats can handle 4 couples) it averaged out to be about $600 a day, but that also included the cost of food and airfare. You can fish, you can look at women in bathing suites and in some cases without bathing suits, you can dive, you can drink looking at the beech, and you never get sand in the crack of your ass. We've done the Virgin Islands a couple of times. We are talking about doing the Mediterranean next time.

Get another couple or two together and rent a sail boat. Two of the best vacations I've ever had have been on 40' catamarans me and a couple buddies rented. We rent the bare boat and cook for ourselves or moor the boat and go into an island and eat. If you can't sail you can always hire a captain and a cook. Going the bare boat route and having 3 couples (most cats can handle 4 couples) it averaged out to be about $600 a day, but that also included the cost of food and airfare. You can fish, you can look at women in bathing suites and in some cases without bathing suits, you can dive, you can drink looking at the beech, and you never get sand in the crack of your ass. We've done the Virgin Islands a couple of times. We are talking about doing the Mediterranean next time.

There are some great boats rental, or blue cruises as they call them out of Bodrum and Antalya, Turkey. We went out for only one day, had a captain, we'd catch fish, cook them up for lunch and dinner, good beer, decent acabins. It was fun, might have to think about that. And, btw, it was much less expensive going out of Turkey than the Virgin Islands, think it ws $200 w. the captain.

Damn, that sounds like fun.

While there are a bevy of beautiful places through out the world. I implore you to take advantage of the beauty here in the US. This country's National Parks have all that you've described and more. Hawaii has everything about sitting and drinking at the beach, but in an odd way, so doesn't Acadia National Park in Maine. If it is wildlife that floats your boat, the perhaps some time spent in the Grand Tetons would be more to your liking. Yellowstone is like nothing else, it really is otherworldly. If you want to experience the Earth itself, head to Glacier in Montana. There's more fishing than you'd know what to do with up there.You want to take a view from up above? How about Denali in Alaska?

Take some time to go and visit those places that you already own.

I have a one year old, who I might drop off with the inlaws.

Anyway, you could check in with some close friends and see if they are going to do something this summer, (as someone else mentioned) it is sometimes fun to vacation with couples.

Or, you could walk in Jesus Tim Tebow's footsteps and do missionary work for a week snipping Philippino boys penises.

Edited by millerx

Yep, hit the Philippines. Go 3rd world, especially if you haven't before. I'm heading to the Daluyon Beach and Mountain resort at the end of May. You'll never find nicer people than the Filipinos, and the food is out of this world.

http://daluyonresort.com/

The underground river looks pretty cool. Palawan is known for snorkeling, and there also a mountain setting and places to fish not far from the beach.

Hawaii (I've been to Maui and Kauai - both would fit)

San Diego - actually stayed at the Del last year, also spent some time in La Jolla and Del Mar, and that was a great thing about SD. There were lots of towns nearby and easy to get to.

St. Lucia - lush Carribean (more green - trees and mountains then you average isle in the Carribean)

Anyway, you could check in with some close friends and see if they are going to do something this summer, (as someone else mentioned) it is sometimes fun to vacation with couples.

Or, you could walk in Jesus Tim Tebow's footsteps and do missionary work for a week snipping Philippino boys penises.

Most of my friends have too man kids and are 40+ years old and just not that much fun anymore. Not like it used to be back in the good old days, what with all the drinking and orgies and such.... :wacko:

Yep, hit the Philippines. Go 3rd world, especially if you haven't before. I'm heading to the Daluyon Beach and Mountain resort at the end of May. You'll never find nicer people than the Filipinos, and the food is out of this world.

http://daluyonresort.com/

The underground river looks pretty cool. Palawan is known for snorkeling, and there also a mountain setting and places to fish not far from the beach.

Weren't they having serious problems with Islamic terrorists? Don't most Islamic terrorists hate us?