[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Official" Draft Commentary "Thread"

Chief Dick

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fast pick...

Chris DeGeare OG Wake Forest...whoever that is...

wow...sounds awesome...

Overview

DeGeare is a physically gifted lineman who has struggled with the mental aspects of the game as well as college. He missed the 2008 season by being academically ineligible and is not aware of twists, stunts and games up front by the defensive linemen. He can be quick out of his stance but often ends up getting behind on blocks because he is late to react to movement. He appears to wear down during the course of most games and may need to loose some weight in order to improve his conditioning.

So I guess the hope is the Stanford guy balances out the two clowns that missed seasons due to academics? :wacko:

I'm liking the Colts draft a lot better. Taking LB Pat Angerer in the second round and CB Kevin Thomas in the third provide a lot of depth. I'd still like to see them snag a couple offensive linemen, a safety, and a KICK RETURNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe even a true fullback . . .

+1 on PR/KR

I think the Packers had a good draft overall. Nothing too sexy, but solid. Got nice value at OL with Bulaga and Newhouse. Burnett should push for starting time sooner rather than later. Obviously TT thought DL depth was a bigger concern than corner or pass rusher. TE was an odd pick, but another weapon for Rodgers. Starks put up nice stats at UB and can catch the ball, but will probably need to show solid blocking to get ahead of Jackson on the depth chart. Would've liked it a little more if they had a pick in the 4th.

Edited by budlitebrad

The chargers will develop Crompton, then trade him afew years down the road fora much higher pick

nope. SD will trade Rivers to DEN at that point.

:wacko::tup:

I can't spin the Quarless pick in a good light. He's a character issue and is lazy. Nevermind he's a position that's isn't a need. Havner and Lee are more than serviceable asthe 2 and 3 TE.

Thanks for not addressing the corner spot. I pray Ted has something up his sleeve, because Al Harris might not be ready to go, or be what he was prior to the injury, and TramonWilliams and Jerret Bush are dumpster fires.

Let me tell you something about Quarless. Yes, he has had character issues and has shown himself to be lazy at times. He can definitely be a punk (He's got "God's" tatooed on his left tricep and "Gift" tatooed on his right tricep). However, he is a high risk / high reward pick, as, if it weren't for his character issues, he would have been a 1st round pick. I have no doubt that he is as physically talented as any tight end in the draft. IF, and obviously it is a BIG IF, he would get things figured out, he would be an absolute steal.

Well i'm pretty uninspired by what Minnesota did today...add the lack of much in FA and this offseason is a hugh snoozer.

We lost 3 players to FA this year: Taylor, Hicks, and Paymah(cut) from a roster that had 5 turnovers and was still a play away from the SB, we have 21 starters returning(at this point Griff looks to be more of a longshot to recover on time and Brett WILL be back). Because we were a top 4 team we were severely handicapped in the FA market and anything left was below the talent of the starters, so what exactly would you have them do? What did you feel needed to be addressed but wasn't?

A lot of people are very angry that we didn't go after a QB, but I couldn't see spending a first or a second on a guy that would be at best third on the depth chart and not a very good fit in a vet locker room. Why create the controversy and a reason for Brett not to come back when there is a ton of risk involved with all three of the QBs we actually had a shot at.

I was really pissed Wilson didn't fall to us but I'd rather have the 6'2 Cook over the 5'11 Robinson just because both players would have to have a good training camp just to make the starting roster, but Cook being a young Frasier, projects a lot better into the cover 2 we often play.

The same goes for Toby, he fits the scheme very very well. I couldn't think of a better RB step on the other teams throat and keep our D off the field once a game is wrapped up in the fourth, or a two back set where he can turn the "Tahi 1 yard swing pass and then fall down" into a big gain as teams key in on A.D. He's an amazing blocker and can do some great things recieving even though he wasn't used very often for that. Bottom line is E.B. is one of the best RB coaches in the NFL, and while he may not be able to count the number of men in a huddle very well, but his great eye for talent is without question.

Let me tell you something about Quarless. Yes, he has had character issues and has shown himself to be lazy at times. He can definitely be a punk (He's got "God's" tatooed on his left tricep and "Gift" tatooed on his right tricep). However, he is a high risk / high reward pick, as, if it weren't for his character issues, he would have been a 1st round pick. I have no doubt that he is as physically talented as any tight end in the draft. IF, and obviously it is a BIG IF, he would get things figured out, he would be an absolute steal.

According to TT, "he was by far our highest-rated player on the board". Could he have even been GB's pick in the 4th?

The same goes for Toby, he fits the scheme very very well. I couldn't think of a better RB step on the other teams throat and keep our D off the field once a game is wrapped up in the fourth, or a two back set where he can turn the "Tahi 1 yard swing pass and then fall down" into a big gain as teams key in on A.D. He's an amazing blocker and can do some great things recieving even though he wasn't used very often for that. Bottom line is E.B. is one of the best RB coaches in the NFL, and while he may not be able to count the number of men in a huddle very well, but his great eye for talent is without question.

How is Toby an amazing blocker again? In a lot of prospect rating that was listed as an area he really needed to IMPROVE on. He is a smart kid and a hard worker so that whouldnt be an issue, but he simply isnt a "amazing blocker" by any means yet.

We lost 3 players to FA this year: Taylor, Hicks, and Paymah(cut) from a roster that had 5 turnovers and was still a play away from the SB, we have 21 starters returning(at this point Griff looks to be more of a longshot to recover on time and Brett WILL be back). Because we were a top 4 team we were severely handicapped in the FA market and anything left was below the talent of the starters, so what exactly would you have them do? What did you feel needed to be addressed but wasn't?

A lot of people are very angry that we didn't go after a QB, but I couldn't see spending a first or a second on a guy that would be at best third on the depth chart and not a very good fit in a vet locker room. Why create the controversy and a reason for Brett not to come back when there is a ton of risk involved with all three of the QBs we actually had a shot at.

I was really pissed Wilson didn't fall to us but I'd rather have the 6'2 Cook over the 5'11 Robinson just because both players would have to have a good training camp just to make the starting roster, but Cook being a young Frasier, projects a lot better into the cover 2 we often play.

Are you serious? :wacko:

How is Toby an amazing blocker again? In a lot of prospect rating that was listed as an area he really needed to IMPROVE on. He is a smart kid and a hard worker so that whouldnt be an issue, but he simply isnt a "amazing blocker" by any means yet.

While I agree I don't see any reports that claim him to be an amazing blocker....i just did a quick search and the first 4 I read all claim he is a solid blocker with good awareness....

I didn't see any reports that said he needs to improve his blocking....

While I agree I don't see any reports that claim him to be an amazing blocker....i just did a quick search and the first 4 I read all claim he is a solid blocker with good awareness....

I didn't see any reports that said he needs to improve his blocking....

Hmm . . the ones I read sais he was a hard worker, but did a poor job sustaining blocks.

Hmm . . the ones I read sais he was a hard worker, but did a poor job sustaining blocks.

I did a search on some vikings sites because I was sure I read the same thing Griff said about him being amazing. Can't find it now, but I am thinking it was something one of the viking coaches said, not surprising that they might build up their new draft pick. :tup:

The google search i did the first 4 reports were all pretty similiar, solid or adequate were the words used. I quit reading them after 4.

Beyond all that, several teams that were interested in Toby talked about converting him to fullback. I would think that if teams think he can play fullback, that poor blocking was not something they were concerned about. :wacko: