[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santa Clara votes 3-2 to ban Happy Meals

Avernus

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-04-29/enter...appy-meals-toys

LV PARENTING: Should Happy Meals be banned?

April 29, 2010|By Kathy Lauer-Williams | Of The Morning Call

Should Happy Meals be outlawed? Apparently a group of lawmakers in California think so.

This week, in a 3-2 vote, they made it illegal to sell meals containing a toy incentive in Santa Clara County.

Proponents said the little toys fast food restaurants package in their kids meals should be banned because kids are being "enticed to eat unhealthy food" to get the toys.

They cited a study that said one in four kids in Santa Clara County are obese of overweight. The law which goes into effect in 90 days carries fines of up to $1,000 for restaurants that don't remove the kids meals from their menus.

OK, I'm one of those naive and idealistic parents who said they would never take their kids to McDonalds. The number of Happy Meal toys in my car is a testament to how well THAT worked out. However, although I don't make a habit of it, there are healthier options at McDonald's. My son gets chicken nuggets, apple dippers and apple juice when he gets a Happy Meal. This combo is 380 calories as compared with 700 calories for a cheeseburger, fried and chocolate milk.

To be honest, my son is not that big on the toys. Far more of an incentive for him is the playland at McDonalds. Does that mean the playlands should be outlawed because they attract kids to eat unhealthy foods?

And unfortunately, marketing products to children is a part of our society. When I was a kid, we grabbed the Cocoa Puffs and Sugar Smacks at the grocery for the junky toy in it. Even the old classic Cracker Jacks was partially marketed on the prize inside. What makes that any different?

I don't like Happy Meal toys. I think they are junky, make to be thrown away and are a waste of resources. But I don't think it's up to government officials to decide what my child can or cannot get at a fast food place. The last time I checked, parenting my child was up to me.

I agree that if they take away the toy incentive then they should get rid of the play land as well...

unless you are one of the few parents that has the energy to discipline their kids anymore, then this might be a good idea....

I'm just tired of the Government making decisions for us...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. Interesting legislation. I usually find this sort of thing to be pretty lame, but in deference to the vast number of fatass little kids that are runnin' around nowadays, I'll give 'em a :wacko: although it'll probably be overturned in California's supreme court sooner or later.

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-04-29/enter...appy-meals-toys

I agree that if they take away the toy incentive then they should get rid of the play land as well...

unless you are one of the few parents that has the energy to discipline their kids anymore, then this might be a good idea....

I'm just tired of the Government making decisions for us...

Strange how this would happen in California.. those people are so sensible and their government is so willing to take the burden of thought off of common folk.

But isn't the idea of "happy meals" what drives illegal aliens (south border only) to this country in the first place? Maybe this will have unintended consequences.

Huh. Interesting legislation. I usually find this sort of thing to be pretty lame, but in deference to the vast number of fatass little kids that are runnin' around nowadays, I'll give 'em a :wacko: although it'll probably be overturned in California's supreme court sooner or later.

why not punch the parent in their fat gut every time they feed their kids that crap instead? sounds like a better law to me for the idiots in california who cannot think for themselves.

why not punch the parent in their fat gut every time they feed their kids that crap instead? sounds like a better law to me for the idiots in california who cannot think for themselves.

Now, I don't agree that the government should step in and mandate this, but it does annoy me that every time this topic gets brought up, people immediately go to the "it's the parent's job" card. The amount of imagery and brainwashing that is forced upon these kids makes that job harder and harder to do. The parents would literally have to spend all day and all night launching their own "ad campaign" to get these kids to stop wanting it. I've seen kids freak out when their parents wont take them to McDonalds. That isn't necc. bad parenting, that's just not parenting so great that it overcomes the mounting odds against them.

If I follow your kids to school each day telling them how cool it is to do meth, are you going to calmly explain to them that they shouldn't listen to me or are you going to beat the crap out of me? Obviously an extreme example but still. People need to penalize businesses who make a point of putting parents behind the 8-ball in this regard.

Pretty lame, my kid maybe gets 1 happy meal a week or every 2 weeks and the little dude looks forward to the little toy. It's usually in the trash or broken a week later but he still enjoys the little surprise.

As for the health factor - I guess if you're giving this type of food to your kid every day then it should be a concern but other than that this sounds likes a few politicians that are on their soapbox and re-election is around the corner so they're trying to make a name for themselves.

Now, I don't agree that the government should step in and mandate this, but it does annoy me that every time this topic gets brought up, people immediately go to the "it's the parent's job" card. The amount of imagery and brainwashing that is forced upon these kids makes that job harder and harder to do. The parents would literally have to spend all day and all night launching their own "ad campaign" to get these kids to stop wanting it. I've seen kids freak out when their parents wont take them to McDonalds. That isn't necc. bad parenting, that's just not parenting so great that it overcomes the mounting odds against them.

If I follow your kids to school each day telling them how cool it is to do meth, are you going to calmly explain to them that they shouldn't listen to me or are you going to beat the crap out of me? Obviously an extreme example but still. People need to penalize businesses who make a point of putting parents behind the 8-ball in this regard.

Det, I know you are not a parent, but this really isn't that hard. You tell you kids no. They complain the first 5 to 10 times but if you keep telling them no, they quit asking. My 12 year old probably hasn't eaten at McDonalds more than 12 times in her life. About the only time my kids get stuff like that is if we are on a road trip, and want to make a quick stop. Part of the problem with kids today is parents either don't care and don't parent, or they are too concerned with being their kids buddy to actually be the parent. In both cases you end up with kids with behavior problems that reach far beyond their eating habits.

Pretty lame, my kid maybe gets 1 happy meal a week or every 2 weeks and the little dude looks forward to the little toy. It's usually in the trash or broken a week later but he still enjoys the little surprise.

As for the health factor - I guess if you're giving this type of food to your kid every day then it should be a concern but other than that this sounds likes a few politicians that are on their soapbox and re-election is around the corner so they're trying to make a name for themselves.

We maybe get fast food once a month. Who can afford to keep buying McDonald's every day anyway. Ridiculous legislation coming from people with nothing better to do, so they desparately try to justify their positions by "caring for the children". I'll care for my own children thank you very much!

We maybe get fast food once a month. Who can afford to keep buying McDonald's every day anyway. Ridiculous legislation coming from people with nothing better to do, so they desparately try to justify their positions by "caring for the children". I'll care for my own children thank you very much!

Exactly!!

absolutely ridiculous. mcdonald's already offers "healthy" choices for happy meals -- apple slices instead of fries, 2% milk instead of soda, etc. "putting parents behind the 8-ball", what a complete load of crap. it really kind of sickens me that ANYONE out there thinks this nanny-state BS is an appropriate fuction of government.

Det, I know you are not a parent, but this really isn't that hard. You tell you kids no. They complain the first 5 to 10 times but if you keep telling them no, they quit asking. My 12 year old probably hasn't eaten at McDonalds more than 12 times in her life. About the only time my kids get stuff like that is if we are on a road trip, and want to make a quick stop. Part of the problem with kids today is parents either don't care and don't parent, or they are too concerned with being their kids buddy to actually be the parent. In both cases you end up with kids with behavior problems that reach far beyond their eating habits.

Yep. And if you're making them eat healthy at home and making sure they exercise, a cheeseburger once or twice a month isn't going to make your kids fat.

The problem is a lot of poor families don't think they can afford to buy fruits and vegetables every week and choose fast food for economic reasons. You can get a very filling meal for very cheap. I would argue that it's ignorance on their part, but cooking healthy food on a budget requires time, effort and motivation that a lot of these people don't have. The documentary Food Inc. covered this issue really well.

The problem is a lot of poor families don't think they can afford to buy fruits and vegetables every week and choose fast food for economic reasons. You can get a very filling meal for very cheap. I would argue that it's ignorance on their part, but cooking healthy food on a budget requires time, effort and motivation that a lot of these people don't have. The documentary Food Inc. covered this issue really well.

or they could eat a little less at mcdonalds. get the damn grilled chicken instead of the double quarter pounder with cheese. I'm sorry, but the "they're too poor not to be gluttonous f'ing pigs" argument strikes me as an incredibly controrted justification. "oh if only big macs were outlawed, and the government bought everybody fresh zucchini and recipes by that naked chef d00sh, everything would be grand." hogwash. the real problem is that a lot of people just don't care about their health very much. they know it's going to make them fat. they just don't really care. THAT is why they order the double 1/4-pounder instead of the chicken tacos at chipotle. if that is how they want to set their priorities, hey, it's a free country. or at least it used to be.

Edited by Azazello1313

or they could eat a little less at mcdonalds. get the damn grilled chicken instead of the double quarter pounder with cheese. I'm sorry, but the "they're too poor not to be gluttonous f'ing pigs" argument strikes me as an incredibly controrted justification. "oh if only big macs were outlawed, and the government bought everybody fresh zucchini and recipes by that naked chef d00sh, everything would be grand." hogwash. the real problem is that a lot of people just don't care about their health very much. they know it's going to make them fat. they just don't really care. THAT is why they order the double 1/4-pounder instead of the chicken tacos at chipotle. if that is how they want to set their priorities, hey, it's a free country. or at least it used to be.

Case in point - I'm at subway right now and the table next to are all eating BMTs loaded with mayo and cheese. Mom, dad, and kid - all footlongs.

Unreal.

Case in point - I'm at subway right now and the table next to are all eating BMTs loaded with mayo and cheese. Mom, dad, and kid - all footlongs.

Unreal.

God danged...that sounds good.

Well, let's be clear now. The only thing that is actually being regulated (and again, I'm not actually saying that this is the way it should be handled anyway) is the manner in which these things are being marketed. Nobody seems to have a problem with not allowing cigarette companies to market to kids, or for that matter, even allow kids to buy them. Same with booze. Now, with booze the issue is very clearly different than unhealthy food because it causes a marked behavior change in people that can be dangerous and destructive. Something that, theoretically, an adult is better at making the call in terms of moderating (though we all know that's BS). Smoking, less so. The only difference to the public at large is that it does affect those around the smoker through second hand smoke. However, second hand smoke from adults is just as bad as second hand smoke from kids.

So, the only rationale for keeping cigarette companies from preying on the minds of kids is that it sets them up with a bad habit early on in life. Which, is precisely the issue here. Only, with cigarettes we actually take it one step further and don't even allow the kids to buy them at all. Which is not the case here.

I mean, straight up, the notion of specifically marketing something like fast food to kids is a very sinister act. For the same reason we recognize doing so with cigarettes is. They are specifically trying to go after the most impressionable and irrational demographic in society and force their parents into being the bad guy. Yes, I realize a good parent can overcome this, but why should you have to. And this is actually a far cry from not allowing kids to have a big mac.

So, whether or not you think this is the governments job, you should certainly agree that it's screwed up. Only, when this topic comes up, the inclination is always to rush to the side of McDonalds because it's America and we not only need to protect their right to make it harder for parents to do their job, we need to remind the parents to suck it because if they can't beat McDonalds at their own game, they're crappy parents.. We piss and moan about the government making small business jump through hoops in order to get through their daily routine. Well, McDonalds is making parents jump through extra hoops by telling your kids, over and over and over and over again, "Hey, go tell your mom you want a Big Mac because you need this worthless toy that you're going to break or forget about."

Edited by detlef

As a parent of two kids, 9 and 7, it is my wife and my own responsibility to teach them about eating a healthy diet, exercise and education. It is not the responsibility of the government to ensure that my kids will grow up to be contributing members of society. With that said, my kids love going out for crappy food, such as McD's, BK and the lot. We do the drive through maybe once a month at most, and only for the kids. I can't eat that stuff, even the salads are gross.

We're starting the drug talks already, in third and first grades, woo hoo, and my 3rd grader has already gotten the sex talk. Gotta love society today, seemingly pushing these issues/topics to younger and younger kids.

Yeah, no denying that it's a hell of a sammich. Gut buster fo'sho.

That's what pisses me off about Subway, the marketing. You sure as hell don't need a foot long sammich even though that's their ploy. That fat bassturd Jared screams that they are healthy foot longs but you only need a 6 inch sammich for lunch.

So, whether or not you think this is the governments job, you should certainly agree that it's screwed up. Only, when this topic comes up, the inclination is always to rush to the side of McDonalds because it's America and we not only need to protect their right to make it harder for parents to do their job, we need to remind the parents to suck it because if they can't beat McDonalds at their own game, they're crappy parents.. We piss and moan about the government making small business jump through hoops in order to get through their daily routine. Well, McDonalds is making parents jump through extra hoops by telling your kids, over and over and over and over again, "Hey, go tell your mom you want a Big Mac because you need this worthless toy that you're going to break or forget about."

no. a frigging cheeseburger is not going to kill a kid. (comparing this to smoking and drinking? really?? is that the best you can come up with to contort yourself into justifying this nanny-state absurdity?) however, if a parent is taking their kid every day, forgoing the apple sices and milk, and getting them the same cheap toy they got the day before....you're goddam right the issue is bad parenting, not the evil enticement of mcdonalds marketing.

if people like you had their way, I can't take my kid out once a month to eat some chicken nuggets, apples, chocolate milk, the cheap little toy she gets excited about and some fun in the jungle gym -- all because some irresponsible morons use the crap as a diet staple, and because you and some other nanny scolds think the answer is banning the cheap toy by government fiat?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A F'ING HAPPY MEAL HERE. how long have happy meals been around? 50 years? longer? and they've never been anything but a happy meal. now they are an evil corporate marketing ploy whose power of suggestion parents are powerless against. please protect us against the evil happy meals, government lords!1!!

sickening. :wacko:

Edited by Azazello1313