[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a car . . .

bpwallace49

There used to be a site called Carsdirect that was awesome. You pick out your car, color, options, etc., it gives you a price and you drive to the dealership to sign the paperwork. There was a small flat fee over the invoice price which was clearly stated. You were free to go get your own financing. I liked it because I didn't have to deal with the slimebags at the dealership trying to rip me off. I see the site still exists but I believe their availability is pretty hit or miss depending in your area.

When I bought my Tacoma I went back and forth between two dealers until I was sure I got their best price. They still tried to slip in some BS fees on the day I signed the paperwork. F'n predators.

I went to a dealer yesterday, and will probably buy 2 cars in the next few weeks. Thanks Bier, I will look into that . . .

Anyone else have some tips for looking at/buying 2 cars?

(no Tim . . one aint a Vette . . at least until the kids are in college :wacko:)

i know my next one will be used. i have been using cars.com for my searches. figure that if the car is clean and i get a good price, i am willing to hop on a plane and drive it home.

Edited by Bier Meister

Start by looking at this......

Car Prices

I used a broker years ago, worked well..... As long as you go into a dealership with all the facts on the specific brand, and avoid the "What do your monthly payments need to be" and start laughing when starts to setup the 4 corner paper then it should be fine

I always look for the certified pre-owned lease return types. Had good luck with that in the past, as generally speaking, these cars are lower mileage and pretty well maintained as part of the the lease terms. Just do the research on how much you are willing to pay for a particular car and stick to your guns.

I have heard decent things about Carmax in that it is pretty straight forward, the price is the price.

I just bought a new/used Tundra last week as I totaled mine a few weeks ago... I went to autotrader.com, found the ones I liked and started calling around. Told them at each place I called, "Look, I have 22,800 payout from insurance, I want center console shift, running boards, decent life on the tires, and under 50K miles. 22,800, I've gotta bring a company check and can't pay a penny more, so, if you tell me we've got a deal, I'll be there in an hour." I got 2 deals, went to the first place, the tires were bald and I walked, went to the other place and got the truck I wanted. There is some danger in negotiating prior to seeing it, but if you set the guidelines, you can get what you want, or so it seems.

By doing this I got a truck that listed at 24,999, for 22,800 driveout (Taxes, tag, fees, all included)

What route do huddlers take? A dealership? Carmax? Ebay/craigslist?

I bought my truck brand new(had 8 miles on it) from a dealer. The salesman was one of my good friends from high school so I felt good about buying from him and he took care of me as much as he could. That same friend is now selling Porsches so I wont be giving him any more business any time soon :wacko:

FWIW, I would buy from a dealer again(especially with the incentives they are offering these days). I know I lose a lot of value just driving off the lot, but I like having new vehicles with (basically) no miles on them...

I am buying a used Honda Odyssey for the wife and 3 kids (most likely) and looking at a used Lexus/Audi for myself.

I run cars until they die, so I could give a rip about resell value. Longevity is preferrable. I am also a Consumer Reports guy when it comes to big ticket purchases, so that helps narrow the field.

Just havent had to buy a car in a long, long time and the forum to buy cars has changed quite a bit since then . .

Thanks for all the input!!

I always use Edmunds.com. but I leased new in 2009, I think they have info on used too. They have forums u can access with other buyers and what they paid for the specific model you are looking at. Not sure if 2010 is different, but in 2009, you could get at or below invoice price for new. Happy car buying to u BP! :wacko:

I am buying a used Honda Odyssey for the wife and 3 kids (most likely) and looking at a used Lexus/Audi for myself.

I run cars until they die, so I could give a rip about resell value. Longevity is preferrable. I am also a Consumer Reports guy when it comes to big ticket purchases, so that helps narrow the field.

Just havent had to buy a car in a long, long time and the forum to buy cars has changed quite a bit since then . .

Thanks for all the input!!

Do not buy an Audi... Electrical problems out the wazoooooooooo

Do not buy an Audi... Electrical problems out the wazoooooooooo

I can say the same thing for the used Honda Odyssey which my wife bought for her and our 2 kids...the maintenance light never goes off even though we've brought it down to the shop 3-4 times. They will make an adjustment which generally makes it go away for a day or two, and then it's back.

I'll never purchase another Honda...

You're gonna laugh, but in that price range check out the Taurus SHO. Don't negotiate on payment. This is where most people get it wrong. Don't trade your old cars. Sell them, or if they're really ragged and worthless, donate them to a foundation for the tax benefit. Oh, and I'd get up and walk out of the dealership (or make them think you're about to) at least once. If they're willing to let you walk, then you almost certainly have their best price.

The Lexus is far more likely :wacko:

I can say the same thing for the used Honda Odyssey which my wife bought for her and our 2 kids...the maintenance light never goes off even though we've brought it down to the shop 3-4 times. They will make an adjustment which generally makes it go away for a day or two, and then it's back.

The maintenance light is set go off in mileage intervals. I have an '02 Civic & have never had an issue turning off the light. Are you taking it to a dealer? If not, then they might not be doing it right. I'm pretty sure the owner's manual can tell you how to reset it. Usually you just have to hold the trip reset button down while turning the key to the ACC position. It usually takes about 10-15 seconds. Depending on the year, it may have to be on either Trip A or B instead of the actual vehicle mileage to work.

The maintenance light is set go off in mileage intervals. I have an '02 Civic & have never had an issue turning off the light. Are you taking it to a dealer? If not, then they might not be doing it right. I'm pretty sure the owner's manual can tell you how to reset it. Usually you just have to hold the trip reset button down while turning the key to the ACC position. It usually takes about 10-15 seconds. Depending on the year, it may have to be on either Trip A or B instead of the actual vehicle mileage to work.

We take it to the dealership here in Austin and they reset it, but then it comes back on in a few days...that was a couple of years ago. It just stays on all the time now.

I'll try what you recommended though...thanks for the tip.

I always use Edmunds.com. but I leased new in 2009, I think they have info on used too. They have forums u can access with other buyers and what they paid for the specific model you are looking at. Not sure if 2010 is different, but in 2009, you could get at or below invoice price for new. Happy car buying to u BP! :wacko:

Ditto. I get an invoice price through Edmunds, and they give me a list of dealers who will work with me, and know I have access to invoice pricing. These dealers quote me a price via email, and then I take these quotes to other dealers, and see if they will beat it.

We've had the opposite experience with our Honda Pilot. Very good car, impeccable service from the dealer, none of the issues you mention. We would definitely purchase one again. Guess it really does come down to the particular car you get to build opinion.

Ditto. I get an invoice price through Edmunds, and they give me a list of dealers who will work with me, and know I have access to invoice pricing. These dealers quote me a price via email, and then I take these quotes to other dealers, and see if they will beat it.

:wacko: never used Edmunds before . . I will def do so. Thanks! :tup:

:wacko: never used Edmunds before . . I will def do so. Thanks! :tup:

keep in mind I bought a car in 1996 (BMW Z3) and still have it, and one in 1997 (Subaru Outback), and totaled it in '05, trying to avoid killing Bambi, and replacing in 2005 (Honda CRV). So, I don't buy cars often, but Edmunds has been my friend in all three purchases. All have been purchased at or below published invoice. I always buy at the end of the month, since I have read that is when dealers are desperate--pressure to meet their quotas.