[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd like to enter the 1990s--could somebody explain smartphones to me

wiegie

Whether you or your work pays for it....I still can't believe anyone has managed to convince people that $130 per month sounds...reasonable. :wacko:

It's totally unreasonable. My cable, internet, and home phone is a combined $114 and I spend more than double that on cell phones? The cable company kept the phone company honest.. but the cell phone companies are all in cahoots.

Smartphone my ass! The f'n GPS on the damn things doesn't work worth a crap...I still can't get from Zimbabwe to Timbuktu without first going through Uranus. Generally when I get to Nowheresville I just turn around and try to go back home...

fixed

Whether you or your work pays for it....I still can't believe anyone has managed to convince people that $130 per month sounds...reasonable. :wacko:

I just did a very rough (and conservative) estimate. And if you took that $130 per month and invested it at 5% interest, in 30 years you would have about $110,000.

I think I may end up sticking with my dumb pay-as-you-go trackfone.

Edited by wiegie

That's what I ended up doing last year when i thought i wanted mobile internet. Just didn't see where I would use it enough (the phone part) to justify the monthly cost. I ended up buying a $200 ipod touch to use for internet access. As long as you have a wifi connection you'll have the internet. It's not quite as handy as the phone, but it's served it's purpose.

Edited by BillyBalata

I just did a very rough (and conservative) estimate. And if you took that $130 per month and invested it at 5% interest, in 30 years you would have about $110,000.

Sooooo, what you're telling me is that had I forgone drinking beer over the past 15 years I would have roughly $517K.... Nope, not worth it.

well, minus the cost of your clunky-ass tracfone. and I can tell you my plan isn't anywhere near $130 per month. more like 90 a month, and that's WITH a second line. I think it breaks down as 70 a month for the phone plan (the smallest one, with 700 minutes, but that's all we need), 30 for the data plan, minus a 15% employer discount.

what it really comes down to if you're deciding between a "smart" phone and just a phone phone is the $30 per month for data useage. for that 30 bucks you get email, internet, GPS, etc. it's worth it to some people, not to others. :wacko:

well, minus the cost of your clunky-ass tracfone. and I can tell you my plan isn't anywhere near $130 per month. more like 90 a month, and that's WITH a second line. I think it breaks down as 70 a month for the phone plan (the smallest one, with 700 minutes, but that's all we need), 30 for the data plan, minus a 15% employer discount.

what it really comes down to if you're deciding between a "smart" phone and just a phone phone is the $30 per month for data useage. for that 30 bucks you get email, internet, GPS, etc. it's worth it to some people, not to others. :wacko:

Absolutely...this totally depends on what you do for a living. If emails are not time sensitive and critical, then there is no need for a smart phone.

I'd pay $30 per month for internet access. I don't really feel the need to pay $40-50 for phone (voice) service since I almost never call anyone from my cell phone as it is.

Perhaps I need to rethink my entire media package (as I currently have Dish, DSL and a landline bundled together).

I'd pay $30 per month for internet access. I don't really feel the need to pay $40-50 for phone (voice) service since I almost never call anyone from my cell phone as it is.

Perhaps I need to rethink my entire media package (as I currently have Dish, DSL and a landline bundled together).

Kill the landline and just use the cell phone(s). I've done that before, though once we had kids we decided we wanted to have a landline for emergencies, etc.

I do the bundle thing too (phone, cable, innernets) and pay about $170 for that with no movie channels (does include one HD DVR). Add another $70 per month for the cell phones (will go up alot when I upgrade my phones) and I'll soon be over $300 a month for all this. It does add up.

my iphone plan runs about $130 including all the bs taxes - unlimited talk, 1500 text and unlimited data (although I heard they were changing the data plan for new customers with a tiered pricing model)

not sure where you are getting that plan ... i'm paying $70/month for mine. there probably is some limit on talk and data, but i've never hit it and i use the device all day.

not sure where you are getting that plan ... i'm paying $70/month for mine. there probably is some limit on talk and data, but i've never hit it and i use the device all day.

huh? the only place that carries it - AT&T

everone I know that uses their iphone extensively for biz has the same plan as mine -pretty simple. I would love to see how you get away with $70/month

unlimited minutes - 70

data plan - 30

text - 15

taxes 19

how much ROI could you have with your dinsaur land line at $50/mo?

I wouldn't have the money to invest because I wouldn't have a J O B without my device - just a cost of doing business my man

Edited by wildcat2334

That's what I ended up doing last year when i thought i wanted mobile internet. Just didn't see where I would use it enough (the phone part) to justify the monthly cost. I ended up buying a $200 ipod touch to use for internet access. As long as you have a wifi connection you'll have the internet. It's not quite as handy as the phone, but it's served it's purpose.

Well, you do live in a 3rd world country (Canada) so I'm not real sure but Smartphones probably don't work over there anyways...just stick to smoke signals and you should be fine :wacko:

Well, you do live in a 3rd world country (Canada) so I'm not real sure but Smartphones probably don't work over there anyways...just stick to smoke signals and you should be fine :wacko:

:tup: That's TimC's line. He is in the northeast according to your geography.

I've been happy w/ Sprint. No real complaints. Coverage is fine, and their plans are cheap. You could also go with a Boost mobile plan. They're cheap and run on the Sprint network in a way.

Of course, you could always get rid of Dish to save money. Internet and antenna have worked well for us for six months now. We pay $12 per month for the TiVo service so my wife can have a somewhat normal TV experience. We also pay for Netflix that integrates with the TiVo.

I don't blame you - I probably wouldn't have one if I had to pay for it.