[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An observation about soccer....

Cunning Runt

Like a lot of Americans, I find soccer to be pretty boring due to the lack of scoring. My kids have played and I like watching them play just fine though.

One thing I'd like to see different in soccer is the offsides rule. My personal opinion is that there shouldn't be one. My understanding is that an offensive player cannot be behind the defense (goalie not included) before the ball is kicked. To me, the offensive player should be able to go wherever he/she wants as I consider it to be the defense's responsibility to make sure the offensive player is checked - more like the NBA in this regard. As it is now, the defense can play up and the offense has to play to where the defense is playing. I've always thought the offensive players should have free reign and the defense should have to be the ones to make the extra effort. The field itself plays defense in soccer. Don't like that at all.

More fast breaks would lead to a lot more scoring and presumably more excitement.

It's not gonna change - I get that, but the lack of scoring is certainly one of the reasons this American hasn't been able to embrace it. I think eliminating offsides would make it a much more exciting game.

Just my :wacko:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should they do the same for Hockey?

No. What is the average number of goals scored in hockey? As of this morning it 1.6 for the world cup. 1 point freakin six.

How many shots on goal in hockey - common to have more than 30 per team - how many in soccer?

Soccer just seems to be way too defensive - if you are up 1-0 in soccer and one of your players gets a red card and you go a man down you still have a great chance to win by just going into a defensive shell.

No. What is the average number of goals scored in hockey? As of this morning it 1.6 for the world cup. 1 point freakin six.

How many shots on goal in hockey - common to have more than 30 per team - how many in soccer?

Soccer just seems to be way too defensive - if you are up 1-0 in soccer and one of your players gets a red card and you go a man down you still have a great chance to win by just going into a defensive shell.

Hockey is played in a freakin' frozen bathtub, of course there are more shots on goal. How could there not be?

As far as the offside question, eliminating it would allow teams to simply punt the ball up the middle to a guy hanging out on the edge of the penalty area or thereabouts. It would eliminate passing, a major factor for soccer fans.

I would support having offside moved from halfway to, say, thirty-five yards out from goal though. This way there would be no offside in the middle third of the pitch.

Why should it change?

Soccer (or, more correctly, football) is far and away the most popular sport in the world. Maybe it says more about Americans in general that we can not embrace the intricacies of the sport and require higher scoring affairs to pull in our interest. Now that I have started watching the Premier League more and more frequently over the last few years, I've started to really enjoy watching some of the intricacies of the game, from both the offensive and defensive sides. I actually enjoy the fact that scoring is more difficult... makes the scoring that much more special.

This is a football message board, offside shouldn't be difficult to understand (or accept).

In football (American), before the ball is put into play, the offensive players have to line up behind the ball.

Same in soccer. Behind the ball is ok.

It's already been changed so that offensive players can go ahead of the ball as long as 2 defenders play back and let them.

Why should it change?

Soccer (or, more correctly, football) is far and away the most popular sport in the world. Maybe it says more about Americans in general that we can not embrace the intricacies of the sport and require higher scoring affairs to pull in our interest. Now that I have started watching the Premier League more and more frequently over the last few years, I've started to really enjoy watching some of the intricacies of the game, from both the offensive and defensive sides. I actually enjoy the fact that scoring is more difficult... makes the scoring that much more special.

To each their own.

I've always thought the offside rule was stupid and continue to think so. I get the intricacies - just don't like 'em.

This is a football message board, offside shouldn't be difficult to understand (or accept).

In football (American), before the ball is put into play, the offensive players have to line up behind the ball.

Same in soccer. Behind the ball is ok.

It's already been changed so that offensive players can go ahead of the ball as long as 2 defenders play back and let them.

It's also a constantly moving ball - like the NBA (aside from stoppages). A much better analogy IMO.

I actually enjoy the fact that scoring is more difficult... makes the scoring that much more special.

agreed. of all the emotions one feels while watching any sporting event, nothing is better than when your team buries one in the back of the net.

Why should it change?

nonsense - you have it backwards as I think most Americans enjoy a wider range of sports than the rest of the world, and appreciate the intricasies of more sports than anywhere. It has to do with americans having more sporting choices and options. I mean, personally, I love pretty much every sport - ranging from faster sports like hoops/football/MMA to slower paced sports like golf, baseball and even poker on tv. I love a good pitchers duel, low scoring football game and someone taking a day and a half to call all their chips on a bluff. That being said, pro soccer is catching on and is great family outing at a reasonable price

each to their own, but me thinking soccer sucks has nothing to do with offsides, scoring or not understanding the game

and fwiw a recent study showed that basketball would overtake soccer as the most played sport on the planet

Edited by wildcat2334

Funny that the Soccer topics are being placed in the tailgate, that being under the heading of "non-sports" forums. Just sayin....

Honestly though, did I read here where the average soccer player effectively runs 7 miles during a single game and the referees effectively cover 5 miles. That's pretty crazy.

Like a lot of Americans, I find soccer to be pretty boring due to the lack of scoring. My kids have played and I like watching them play just fine though.

More fast breaks would lead to a lot more scoring and presumably more excitement.

It's not gonna change - I get that, but the lack of scoring is certainly one of the reasons this American hasn't been able to embrace it. I think eliminating offsides would make it a much more exciting game.

They lowered the pitchers mound so that there would be more scoring in baseball.

They instituted the shot clock so there would be more scoring in basketball.

Almost every rule put into play over the last decade or so has to do with more offence in American football.

I think that is enough. The rest of the world could care less if there is more scoring in soccer (football). They like the game as it is. America's thirst for scoring is boring.

It is already an exciting game..... changing the rules would change the game to a less exciting sport.

They lowered the pitchers mound so that there would be more scoring in baseball.

Almost every rule put into play over the last decade or so has to do with more offence in American football.

I think that is enough. The rest of the world could care less if there is more scoring in soccer (football). They like the game as it is. America's thirst for scoring is boring.

It is already an exciting game..... changing the rules would change the game to a less exciting sport.

Yep.

This.

I have and always will hate the offsides rule. I have had this discussion with many soccer folks and they have tried to exlain why it's a legit rule. But I say if you slide your defense up trying to be aggressive and an offensive player from the opposing team positions themself behind you then they were being smart and you were being the fool. I say place your players wherever you like on the field and have at it.

But I say if you slide your defense up trying to be aggressive and an offensive player from the opposing team positions themself behind you then they were being smart and you were being the fool. I say place your players wherever you like on the field and have at it.

FIFA say you talk crap.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

FIFA say you talk crap.

:tup: Yeah, i guess I did a wee-bit. Just drives me nuts the same as a player either swinging at strike 3 or looking at strike 3 but because the catcher drops the ball (may have been a great pitch in the dirt) the batter can then try to advance to first and needs to be thrown out. Just freaking stupid!! You just struck out, go back to the bench, cause you deserve nothing!! :wacko:

This.

Nah.... This:

One thing I'd like to see different in soccer is the offsides rule. My personal opinion is that there shouldn't be one. My understanding is that an offensive player cannot be behind the defense (goalie not included) before the ball is kicked. To me, the offensive player should be able to go wherever he/she wants as I consider it to be the defense's responsibility to make sure the offensive player is checked - more like the NBA in this regard. As it is now, the defense can play up and the offense has to play to where the defense is playing. I've always thought the offensive players should have free reign and the defense should have to be the ones to make the extra effort. The field itself plays defense in soccer. Don't like that at all.

Nah.... This:

EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING!!

As far as the offside question, eliminating it would allow teams to simply punt the ball up the middle to a guy hanging out on the edge of the penalty area or thereabouts. It would eliminate passing, a major factor for soccer fans.

This is correct.

The moment that offsides was done away with, soccer as we know it would be over. It would turn into a game where 3-4 forwards were kept up by the keeper and the opposing keeper, fullbacks, and midfielders would just keep dumping the ball up to the forwards. Why the hell would anyone want to watch that?

This is correct.

The moment that offsides was done away with, soccer as we know it would be over. It would turn into a game where 3-4 forwards were kept up by the keeper and the opposing keeper, fullbacks, and midfielders would just keep dumping the ball up to the forwards. Why the hell would anyone want to watch that?

In England there are teams that play that way but not at a high level any more. The most famous / notorious was Wimbledon FC and it was effective for a while but very ugly.