[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mattress help (Tempurpedic, Sleep# etc)

keggerz

I am possibly looking at getting a new mattress...since herniating a disc in my back back in march only twice have I been able to get 4+ of consecutive hours of sleep and those 2 nites were just this past week with the help of Ambian (which my doc only prescribed 5 pills)...prior to my injury I never had any issues with my mattress but I am still fighting my back pain (had my 2nd epidural today) and so far the shots and therapy haven't given me much relief which is why I am now considering a new mattress on the off chance that I can get some additional relief AND SLEEP...I am not sure that anything (other than back pain) is worse than fractured sleep.

TIA

:wacko: Per a few previous posts, different people had different results with certain mattresses. I would suggest trying different ones out and trying different settings for the sleep number to see which one works for you best.

After my back surgery in 03 for a herniated disk i decided it was time to get rid of my waterbed. I couldnt decide on what mattress to get. Sure some feel super comfy when you lay on them for a few minutes. But super comfy doesn't necesarrily translate into being good for your back!

Besides the fact that my chiropractor, recommended the sleep number bed, I was very leary of spending a bunch of money on a mattress because it felt good but in the end didn't provide the proper support. I finally chose the sleep number with the idea it couldn't be the wrong mattress since it was adjustable and I could make it the right mattress. While some on here have said they don't think they are very comfortable, I can't argue against that, when you get on one, it might not feel all that comfy. But over the years its the best thing ever for my back. I've settled on my number and rarely change these days, but every now and then my back may start to bother me, usually i pump some extra air in there to firm the mattress up and within a night or two i feel a whole lot better.

Depending on the model you get they can be quite spendy so may not be right for you. The only other advise I can give...when choosing one, don't necesarrily buy a mattress that feels really good, keep in mind the firmer the bettter when it comes to supporting your back. The softer and more comfortable it feels, could be the worst thing for your back.

Good luck

After my back surgery in 03 for a herniated disk i decided it was time to get rid of my waterbed. I couldnt decide on what mattress to get. Sure some feel super comfy when you lay on them for a few minutes. But super comfy doesn't necesarrily translate into being good for your back!

Besides the fact that my chiropractor, recommended the sleep number bed, I was very leary of spending a bunch of money on a mattress because it felt good but in the end didn't provide the proper support. I finally chose the sleep number with the idea it couldn't be the wrong mattress since it was adjustable and I could make it the right mattress. While some on here have said they don't think they are very comfortable, I can't argue against that, when you get on one, it might not feel all that comfy. But over the years its the best thing ever for my back. I've settled on my number and rarely change these days, but every now and then my back may start to bother me, usually i pump some extra air in there to firm the mattress up and within a night or two i feel a whole lot better.

Depending on the model you get they can be quite spendy so may not be right for you. The only other advise I can give...when choosing one, don't necesarrily buy a mattress that feels really good, keep in mind the firmer the bettter when it comes to supporting your back. The softer and more comfortable it feels, could be the worst thing for your back.

Good luck

thanks for the info and yes I know I want/need a firm/firmer mattress...fwiw they have the classic (c2) select number (queen) on sale for $699...not sure what regular price is. sale page

product page

also was reading the reviews and it said the remote for that model doesn't have where you can see your setting :wacko: that doesn't seem to make any sense.

I absolutely love my tempurpedic. I highly recommend it

Have heard good things about them but man they are expensive too...if only I could get it covered by workers comp since prior to the injury my mattress did me just fine.

Have heard good things about them but man they are expensive too...if only I could get it covered by workers comp since prior to the injury my mattress did me just fine.

I believe they make a tempurpedic egg carton type of mattress. Its not the full mattress. It is sort of a top layer that goes on your regular mattress. Not as costly

Edited by whomper

I bought a plush firm Simmons beauty Rest last year and it's probably the best thing I've ever spent any money on. It's soft btu firm without being mushy. A close second was their hotel brand - I think Simmons does Hilton hotels? Whichever chain it was, believe me they get good matresses as well.

one thign I would point out: don't balk at the price. I got a Cal King for about a grand but if it lasts the ten years I want it to that becomes 10 cents a night per use. It is money well spent - what else do you use 5-8 hours a day everyday?

I bought a plush firm Simmons beauty Rest last year and it's probably the best thing I've ever spent any money on. It's soft btu firm without being mushy. A close second was their hotel brand - I think Simmons does Hilton hotels? Whichever chain it was, believe me they get good matresses as well.

one thign I would point out: don't balk at the price. I got a Cal King for about a grand but if it lasts the ten years I want it to that becomes 10 cents a night per use. It is money well spent - what else do you use 5-8 hours a day everyday?

The last time I purchased a mattress it was a "hotel" mattress...I found that I always slept best when I was on the road traveling so I figured why not try and get that type of mattress...that is the mattress that is now in our guest room.

Sleep Number - I used to sell them. I still have mine and I recommend them to friends.

Hard to argue against a bed that you can adjust, but it's still not for everyone. Keep in mind that your pillow is important when it comes to aligning everything. So may be a good idea to have a least a couple of good pillows (different firmness/types) on hand to use when you change the firmness of your Sleep Number bed. The price difference between models has to do with plushness of the top, material (more or less breathable), quietness of the pump and convenience of the controller. It's nice to have a number to refer to, so I'd say it's worth it to get the model with the number display controllers. FWIW, most people prefer a firmer setting when participating in non-sleeping bedroom activities (yes, I actually had customers comment on this to me).

Even though they have numerous chambers to distribute the air evenly, some people complain that the single mattress king or queen feels too much like a hammock. So, even if you're by yourself, you're probably better off with the dual mattress models. No springs to wear out, so no sleeping in a trough 5 years from now.

Easy to assemble. Do it yourself. Real convenient when moving. No more struggling with a rigid box-spring up stairs and around corners.

Tempurpedic - When people have the right body mass to match up with the firmness of the foam they love it. You need to try it out for a while to make sure it works for you. If you sleep with a partner. Make sure it works for them too. What's perfect for a 200 lb man may not be so good for his 110 lb wife.

Spring Beds - I've never had a spring bed that I was happy with for more than a couple of years. When I was selling the Sleep Number beds I heard good things about the Duxiana bed. However, if I recall, it's also very heavy and very expensive.

Good luck!

Edited by ljbrun

We've had a similar if not exactly the same model for 11 years. We've enjoyed it so much, we have another one just like it on the way as a replacement. You can spend a lot more, but not get much more comfortable, IMO - the value of dimminishing returns and all that...

Tempurpedic matresses are comfortable, but "sleep hot" in my experience. Those magic little closed cells don't breathe, so if you sleep kinda warm anyway - shy away from these.

I like the sleep number a lot, but don't think they are worth the added expense unless you have a health condition that makes the adjustability a needed feature.

The only complaint I have on the Tempurpedic is that it is foam, so it doesn't lose body heat, so it can be a little hot. Had one for five years, and it is comfortable and I sleep great.