[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The boy next door...

ABearWithFurniture

How do you tell if a 7 yr. old boy is heading down the path of being a homo? I've got a neighbor kid that keeps trying to kiss my 6 yr. old son and it's weirding him out. My wife's best friend has a son that's in the same class with him and she's pretty adamant that he's batting for the other side and several of our other friends have commented on the same observations about him.

I always thought this was something that was developed later in puberty but this is making me rethink those beliefs...anybody deal with this before?

First off tell your son to punch him in the mouth if he tries it again. :wacko:

Other than that I would stay far away from that situation. I'm not sure how you would tell at that age, but even if he is that's not something that should be other peoples business unless it actually becomes an issue with your kid. At that point I would have a talk with his parents or the school if it is happening there. :shudder: The school would probably have counselors that know how to deal with that sort of problem. Good luck.

Edited by rajncajn

How do you tell if a 7 yr. old boy is heading down the path of being a homo? I've got a neighbor kid that keeps trying to kiss my 6 yr. old son and it's weirding him out. My wife's best friend has a son that's in the same class with him and she's pretty adamant that he's batting for the other side and several of our other friends have commented on the same observations about him.

I always thought this was something that was developed later in puberty but this is making me rethink those beliefs...anybody deal with this before?

Show him a picture of Justin Bieber, if he screams like a little girl and passes out... MO

I'm not sure a 7 year old can be gay. Don't most 7 year old boys say they don't like girls? I just think at this age confusion is highly likely.

That being said...his parents need to know about it and it needs to be clear that it's unacceptable.

If the boy was trying to force himself on a girl it would be just as much of a problem... kids often dont' know physical boundaries, and need to be taught that they have to respect other kids' space. That's the main issue here. I realy wouldn't worry about sexual attraction at that age, because a million different factors will come in to play to change what the kid finds sexually attractive by the time he matures.

While I do think its pretty common for young boys to exhibit some "ghey" behavior(I'm using this term for fun and for lack of a better term), like others have said, I generally assume its a matter of confusion/role playing/ uninhibitedness. My son is 7 and he's plenty silly. That's part of what being a kid is all about.

At the same time, I'd think a 7yo has been exposed to social norms enough to get sufficient push backl to that kind of behavior, to discourage it unless there's something more substantial to the motivation. I do think that homosexuality can manifest itself very early.

Edited by billay

Does this kid have any other behavioral issues? Like being ADD or anything else?
I am thinking it's more a psychological/behavioral issue than an expression of his "sexuality".

I have a 9 year old that has Asperger's Syndrome. One of Asperger's traits is difficulty understanding social behavior. One of his particular symptoms is that he can be quite affectionate to others...male or female, adults or peers. I can't think of a time that he's kissed a non-family member, but I have seen him hug friends or school acquaintances outside of situations where doing such things is expected/accepted. It's something that we try to work with him on, but it's not something that we even question whether he's "heading down the path of being a homo".

Personally I think 7 years is too early to decide whether a person is "turning" into a homosexual. They don't have a huge grasp yet even on just friendly social relationships, let alone what might lead into romantic/sexual/more-than-social relationships.

Thanks for the feedback...and I'd be pretty uncomfortable going to his parents with this as they live right next door and are pretty decent neighbors. Pretty innocent so far really but it's bugging my kid to some degree.

Your kids psychological status is more important than your relationship with your neighbor. If it's really bugging your kid and you can't find a work around (like, don't play with Johnny any more), then you've got to raise it with your neighbor. Your son will see you as sticking up for him and his feelings which will pay dividends down the road.

I have a 9 year old that has Asperger's Syndrome. One of Asperger's traits is difficulty understanding social behavior. One of his particular symptoms is that he can be quite affectionate to others...male or female, adults or peers. I can't think of a time that he's kissed a non-family member, but I have seen him hug friends or school acquaintances outside of situations where doing such things is expected/accepted. It's something that we try to work with him on, but it's not something that we even question whether he's "heading down the path of being a homo".

Personally I think 7 years is too early to decide whether a person is "turning" into a homosexual. They don't have a huge grasp yet even on just friendly social relationships, let alone what might lead into romantic/sexual/more-than-social relationships.

My wife teaches kids with Asperger's and other things. There are probably lots of other reasons like this that explain why kids are touchy, feely or seem to violate your "space".

Does he root for the Niners?

can't the parents be told to observe and correct? it is not like you are telling them off. that stuff is weird and should be corrected for the sake of the kids future, my gosh. if he is straight, teach the kid to learn how to act.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I'm not sure a 7 year old can be gay. Don't most 7 year old boys say they don't like girls? I just think at this age confusion is highly likely.

That being said...his parents need to know about it and it needs to be clear that it's unacceptable.

They can be.

If the boy was trying to force himself on a girl it would be just as much of a problem... kids often dont' know physical boundaries, and need to be taught that they have to respect other kids' space. That's the main issue here. I realy wouldn't worry about sexual attraction at that age, because a million different factors will come in to play to change what the kid finds sexually attractive by the time he matures.

This.

can't the parents be told to observe and correct? it is not like you are telling them off. that stuff is weird and should be corrected for the sake of the kids future, my gosh. if he is straight, teach the kid to learn how to act.

Very touchy subject. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine your neighbor coming to you and telling you that he thinks your son may be gay because he keeps trying to kiss his son. I would imagine that could make for an extremely difficult situation and a strained relationship between you and your neighbor. Especially if you were already friends with your neighbor before this started happening.

Very touchy subject. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine your neighbor coming to you and telling you that he thinks your son may be gay because he keeps trying to kiss his son. I would imagine that could make for an extremely difficult situation and a strained relationship between you and your neighbor. Especially if you were already friends with your neighbor before this started happening.

Thats the thing, though. You say it differently.

"You know, Bill...my son Mikey was telling me that sometimes your boy Steve really gets in Mikey's personal space and he finds it really uncomfortable. I'm not talking about typical kid wrestling, just situations where they're walking around or talking or whatever and Steve will get all close to Mikey and he'll be a bit wiereded out by it. I'm not sure if Mikey has a big 'personal space' or not, but would you mind talking to Steve about personal boundaries and the need to respect other peoples space? I know this is a bit of an unusual conversation I'm having with you and asking you to have with your son, but Mikey has come to us a little worked up and I promised him that I'd talk to you about it. Do you think you can talk to Steve and let me know when you do? Thanks."