[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

George Steinbrenner suffers massive heart attack

whomper

Jul 13, 2010 - George Steinbrenner has suffered a massive heart attack and is currently hospitalized, according to reports from New York City's ABC news affiliate.

The Yankees owner was reportedly rushed to St. Joseph's hospital in Tampa, according to Bay News 9 in Florida.

Steinbrenner turned 80 years-old on July 4th, and has been in declining health since retiring from day-to-day Yankees operations in 2006. The family has kept Steinbrenner's medical condition private since his retirement.

Stay tuned to this StoryStream for more information as it develops.

Wow, thats shocking even though he was 80 years old.

Anytime someone that was around for your entire life passes, it makes you reflect on your own life, and what that person meant to you. For as salty as he was at times, he truly was the New York Yankees. He was so iconic he was characterized on one of the greatest TV shows of my lifetime (Seinfeld). He was so arrogant, you wished you could be him for a day. He was a big part of the reason we love to hate the Yankees...yet we all wished he had owned our team....he wanted to win, at all costs.

He was liked by few, but will be missed more than we'll know.

Rest in peace George . Well said Swammi. Many dissaprove of the Yankess methods etc but George was a hugh figure, especially in NY. Sad day

Edited by whomper

Have hated the Yankees my whole life, mainly because of the battles with the Royals in the 70's.

But I can respect Steinbrenner because he gave his team what it needed to win. Sad day for sports, because he truly was an iconic figure.

+1 I hated the Yankees but George was icon. He didn't break the rules with the way he operated his team. I will miss him.

RIP George.

How I hated George back in the 80's. He really was a beligerant jerk, but he mellowed over time. The Yankees had become a near laughing stock before he bought the team. He certainly changed that around. While it would have happened eventually, he was the guy who started the the hugh salary increases players get these days. I beleive Mattingly was the first million dollar player.

How I hated George back in the 80's. He really was a beligerant jerk, but he mellowed over time. The Yankees had become a near laughing stock before he bought the team. He certainly changed that around. While it would have happened eventually, he was the guy who started the the hugh salary increases players get these days. I beleive Mattingly was the first million dollar player.

On November 19, 1979, Nolan Ryan became the first player to sign a contract for more than a million dollars per year. Richard Moss, Ryan's agent, helped negotiate a 4-year, $4.5 million dollar contract for the future Hall of Famer, making him the highest paid player at the time.

Although most people would say the above answer is the official first one million dollar a year player, in actuality Pittsburgh Pirate Dave Parker was the first player to make one million dollars a year signing the contract a year prior to Nolan Ryan. The reason he isn't commonly cited as so is because the Pirates worded the contract in a way to make it look like he was making that much because they didn't want to be known as the first team to pay a player one million dollars a year

RIP George. He was the Yankees.

Does anyone know he used to own a professional basketball team in Ohio before becoming owner of the Yankees?

Wow, thats shocking even though he was 80 years old.

Anytime someone that was around for your entire life passes, it makes you reflect on your own life, and what that person meant to you. For as salty as he was at times, he truly was the New York Yankees. He was so iconic he was characterized on one of the greatest TV shows of my lifetime (Seinfeld). He was so arrogant, you wished you could be him for a day. He was a big part of the reason we love to hate the Yankees...yet we all wished he had owned our team....he wanted to win, at all costs.

He was liked by few, but will be missed more than we'll know.

Very well said.

R.I.P. :wacko:

He purchased the team in 1973 for around 10 million. Forbes valued the team at 1.6 billion in April.

What an impact he had on the sport, both good and bad. I stll remember him firing and rehiring Billiy Martin over and over again.

Most famous owner ever..

I'm watching all the interviews, players, ex-players, managers, sports writers.

George was a tough task master. He really pushed sometimes, but usually only against the strongest people. His treatment of Winfield was terrible. He coddled Reggie Jackson. He pushed it too far with Martin, who he fired 5 times. He fired Yogi 16 games into a season. Yet, with Gooden and Strawberry who just continued to screw up, he was as soft as a new feather pillow.

I've known a few guys like him. They seem to take pity on the weak and frail, while they bust balls on people who are dependable and strong. Reminds me of my old man. Better to be the ghey kid down the block than to be his son, or better to be a friend than family. Strange dicotomy.

He in many ways was a contradiction. Yes, he changed the landscape of pro sports in this country, in both good and bad ways. He knew how to spend money to make it, and took every advantage of being a big market team. He would happilly trample a weaker franchise if he could if it served his purposes. Compare that to Wellington Mara, who saved the NFL by leaving money on the table for the best interest of the league.

He was an icon for sure, but was he a great man? Or more notorious than great? I am left with mixed emotions on that. He was a bully, he was the forgiving father for prodigal sons. He did in the end, know how to win. I am not quite so Machiavellian. I think he stepped over many more bodies than he had to. Remember too, he was suspended from MLB. Let's not make him out to be a saint just because he died. He left his mark on professional sports, there is no denying that fact. Whether or not his mark made things better or worse is subject to debate.

George was a tough task master. He really pushed sometimes, but usually only against the strongest people. His treatment of Winfield was terrible. He coddled Reggie Jackson. He pushed it too far with Martin, who he fired 5 times. He fired Yogi 16 games into a season. Yet, with Gooden and Strawberry who just continued to screw up, he was as soft as a new feather pillow.

I've known a few guys like him. They seem to take pity on the weak and frail, while they bust balls on people who are dependable and strong. Reminds me of my old man. Better to be the ghey kid down the block than to be his son, or better to be a friend than family. Strange dicotomy.

He in many ways was a contradiction. Yes, he changed the landscape of pro sports in this country, in both good and bad ways. He knew how to spend money to make it, and took every advantage of being a big market team. He would happilly trample a weaker franchise if he could if it served his purposes. Compare that to Wellington Mara, who saved the NFL by leaving money on the table for the best interest of the league.

He was an icon for sure, but was he a great man? Or more notorious than great? I am left with mixed emotions on that. He was a bully, he was the forgiving father for prodigal sons. He did in the end, know how to win. I am not quite so Machiavellian. I think he stepped over many more bodies than he had to. Remember too, he was suspended from MLB. Let's not make him out to be a saint just because he died. He left his mark on professional sports, there is no denying that fact. Whether or not his mark made things better or worse is subject to debate.

Well put.

Well put indeed. Personally, I'm not glad he's dead, I'm simply indifferent. He was a turd, IMO, and did baseball no favors at all.