[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Social Security

Perchoutofwater

OUR SOCIAL SECURITY:

Just in case some of you young whippersnappers (& some older ones) didn't know this. It's easy to check out, if you don't believe it. Be sure and show it to your kids. They need a little history lesson on what's what and it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican. Facts are Facts!!!

Social Security Cards up until the 1980s expressly stated the number and card were not to be used for identification purposes. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a number, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed.

An old Social Security card with the "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION" message.

Our Social Security

Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be COMPLETELY voluntary,

No longer Voluntary

2.) That the participants would only have to pay 1% of the first $1,400 of their annual incomes into the Program,

Now 7.65% on the first $90,000

3.) That the money the participants elected to put into the Program would be deductible from their income for tax purposes each year,

No longer tax deductible

4.) That the money the participants put into the independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the general operating fund, and therefore, would only be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program, and no other Government program, and,

Under Johnson the money was moved to the General Fund and Spent

5) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income

Under Clinton & Gore, up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month -- and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put away' -- you may be interested in the following:

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically controlled House and Senate.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --

Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?

A: The Democratic Party.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social Security annuities?

A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the 'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the Senate, while he was Vice President of the U.S.

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------

Q: Which Political Party decided to start giving annuity payments to immigrants?

AND MY FAVORITE:

A: That's right!

Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.

Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65, began to receive Social Security payments! The Democratic Party gave these payments to them,

even though they never paid a dime into it!

But, but, but . . it doesnt matter if you are Republican or Democrat! The first sentence says so!! Dont mind the following statements that staunchly support the Republicans and slam the Democrats! :tup:

Nice chain mail Perch . . . :wacko:

I would appreciate it if you would point out to me any part of it that is factually incorrect.

I would appreciate it if you would point out to me any part of it that is factually incorrect.

it doesn't matter whether you are Democrat or Republican

This part

So you're standing by it and stating it is accurate?

Not at all, I just asked that he point out what was false. They guy that sent it to me typically does a fairly good job of fact checking things.

Ok, I'm embarrassed now. :wacko:

You are an intelligent man but you let blind hate cloud your judgment. A rational person would have run this through Snopes before rushing it out on to this forum. It's not like there was a race to get there first.

You are an intelligent man but you let blind hate cloud your judgment. A rational person would have run this through Snopes before rushing it out on to this forum. It's not like there was a race to get there first.

Nope, first time I've gotten something from this guy that wasn't 100% accurate. I checked the first few things he sent me, and frankly was lazy and due to everything he sent in the past checking out I didn't do the footwork.

My question is why Reagan allowed illegals to get SSI. :wacko:

You see how that works? He probably didn't want that to happen, but people can say that.

Man, why do I respond to the Corky-troll?

Anyway, I'd bet that was part of a treaty or something. IIRC (and this is all fuzzy - it's been a while) fedgov reciprocates with other countries. As a rule, we allow retired people from other countries to come suck our tit and other countries reciprocate. But again, that memory is fuzzy and I could be wrong as hell.