[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What would you do if your child was choking?

Dallas Sooner

what would you do if your child was choking in a restaurant? Would you know what to do to save his life? would you panic?

I failed miserably. My wife, son, and I, were out to dinner and we were waiting on my debit card. It looks like my son is about to throw up so I get him a napkin, but my wife yells, he is choking. I slap him pretty hard on his back a couple of times in the booth and nothing happens. Its been about a minute by now and Im in a complete panic. I grab him outta the booth to the floor and continue to slap him on the back while holding him up. My wife yells my son is choking, can anyone help us. the whole place just stares, they have no idea what is going on or what to do. then this young server walks up and begins the Heimlach, and on the 2nd thrust the peppermint my son threw in his mouth shoots out about 2 feet like a missle. My son was hysterical. My wife was an emotional wreck, and I was still in complete shock that we could have lost my 9 yr old because I had no idea how to save him. Thank GOD for Nick Mills, the server who came to our rescue and save my baby boy.

In high school I was a lifeguard so I knew CPR, and had to perform it once, and I saved this lil girl. But this time it was my own son, and it wasnt CPR needed to save him, and I completely zoned out. I know better than to hit him on the back, though I do not know the heimlach. But at the time it was all that was coming to me to do, untill this guy stepped in. Im still shaken up that my son could have been in real trouble if not for this guy who stepped up.

Would you know what to do in this situation? Would you panic? Could you save your child if you needed too? I would have said I could and I would, until I was put in the situation and I froze. Im learning this ASAP, and Im going to get myself prepared if Im ever in this situation again. I cant tell you how helpless we felt tonight, and most people froze right along with us, as they stared at us in shock and didnt move either. Thank you Nick and I hope this story helps someone here become more prepared for a situation like this.

Edited by Dallas Sooner

I'm glad everything turner out okay.

I second that. I am surprised you didn't know the Heimlach. This procedure has been around for quite a while now and is always talked about on TV. I would suggest another CPR class. I am sure that will be covered and it will help with your confidence. Again, glad all turned out well.

Glad to hear everything turned out for the good Brent :wacko: Our daughter is 5 and was born 5 weeks premature and had to spend 13 days in the NICU before we brought her home. The one class we had to take was infant CPR and we did learn the Heimlach but I have never had to put it to use. When my 20 year old son was 18 months old he had febrial seziures and we had to learn how to make sure he didn't swallow his tongue during them, it helped us 2 different times with him until the EMS arrived.

Im learning this ASAP, and Im going to get myself prepared if Im ever in this situation again.

1) Glad to hear your son is OK and the story has a happy ending.

2) You are not a failure as a person, nor, (especially) as a parent. Believe it.

3) "God works in mysterious ways", and even as an out-of-practice Catholic, I still believe this.

4) First, aid, CPR, and other live-saving techniques are a bit different for adults vs kids. Either way, good to hear you are doing something after your experience.

Glad to hear at least one more person is out there learning these live saving measures, in hopes that they never have to use them, but if you do, you WILL be prepared. Just learning this stuff several years ago still makes me feel more prepared if I should run into something like you experienced. There is nothing "dorky" about being prepared for something like this. An 8 hour class can make a lifetime's worth of difference.

Good luck.

I recall my niece choking when she was about 6 and I managed to perform the heimlich which was crazy because I was about 15 and never did anything like this before - they say you can seriously injure someone by doing this, but I didn't have time for all of that...

she managed to be choking on a werthers candy or something that is supposed to not "get stuck" :wacko:...

thank god that piece of candy went flying after the 2nd attempt...but it was definitely scary...

I'm glad everything went well for you in the end, because it is definitely a scary situation....

Glad to hear everything turned out for the good Brent :wacko: Our daughter is 5 and was born 5 weeks premature and had to spend 13 days in the NICU before we brought her home. The one class we had to take was infant CPR and we did learn the Heimlach but I have never had to put it to use.

Same situation for us except only 10 days in the NICU. That class is invaluable since infant CPR is much different than adult.

Thank God everything turned out ok Brent. Scary situation.

Good to hear that your son is ok

I second that. I am surprised you didn't know the Heimlach. This procedure has been around for quite a while now and is always talked about on TV. I would suggest another CPR class. I am sure that will be covered and it will help with your confidence. Again, glad all turned out well.

If you take a CPR (Cadrio Pulmonary Resucitation) class they teach you CPR...you won't learn the Heimlach maneuver in a CPR class (at least not normally)...possibly if you can find an all encompassing First Aide class but not in a CPR class.

Edited by keggerz

2) You are not a failure as a person, nor, (especially) as a parent. Believe it.
Further, even if you spent weeks training and practicing CPR or the Heimlich Maneuver, that doesn't give you the same experience as when you actually need to perform it for real. And having to do it to someone close to you like a child or a spouse adds a lot of emotion too.

I'm glad everything ended up ok, but also use it as a learning experience so that if you are around a similar incidence in the future, you can respond differently.

Scary stuff... Don't know exactly how I would have handled the situation and hope to never find out. The wifey knows all that stuff, she has to for her work... So I guess I can sit there and continue eating while she administers the life saving techniques.

I took a CPR and Heimlech class 2 years ago so I know the basics but I want to re-take the class every 3-4 years. I would have attempted the heimlech but I don't know how successful I would have been, you REALLY have to go under the lungs and push upwards with serious force.

I am sorry you had to go through this but I am happy to hear the end result!

Which child? :wacko:

Seriously - glad everything turned out ok. My wife and I are both trained in basic first aid, so I hope we'd handle it ok. Hard to tell until crunch time comes.

I am a hugh wimp when it comes to my kids suffering. My youngest once had to get a spinal tap and I had to leave the room. :tup:

We have a good friend that is a EMT. Right before my youngest first child was born she gave my wife and I private lessons on CPR and what to do in the event the child was choking (In the case of an infant the technique of the heimlich is different than it is for older kids and adults) I paid attention to this class like my life depended on it and felt I was ready for anything. Baby is born and fast forward to Me , my wife and the baby on vacation in a hotel room about a year later. We were feeding her pureed (sp) mashed potatos and she starts choking . She wasnt the only one that choked. I froze and pretty much screamed like a bitch. You may as well have slapped a mini skirt on my. My wife immediately sprang into action and did the one finger scoop and got the mash out instantly and the kid was totally fine.

Main priority was the childs well being which goes without saying but I always had a bad feeling about how I froze. Fast forward about 5-6 years from that day. My little one is I guess 3-4 and she is eating ravioli. We cut it up pretty small but all of a sudden i am acrossed the table from her and she she gets the look. She is choking. I had an eery sense of calmness. I stood up before I saved her and said this

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you'll live. At least a while.

And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to

trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one

chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take

our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?! Alba gu bra! (Scotland

forever!)

I then jumped across the table and did the finger scoop. I put my finder so far down this kids throat then bent it so it was like a hook. I felt the food , hooked it and pulled it out. I remember like it was yesterday. The piece was so far down that all of the red gravy was off of it. It was pure white . Kid was saved . I was redeemed. Amen

I gave my grandson some cherios to eat one time and he choked on one. He coughed it two feet out and I decided not to give him cherios again after that.

My wife was in a Mexican restaurant with me any my youngest son several years ago. She started to choke and I didn't know that she was choking. She walked outside and did the heimlich to herself over a railing. I felt like crap after that too.

Im learning this ASAP, and Im going to get myself prepared if Im ever in this situation again.

Unfortunately I would have done the same thing that you did. What a nightmare. I have played out this scenerio in my mind countless times but haven't done anything about it. After reading your post I most definitely will.

Maybe you weren't able to save your son that night but your post here may help save others.

Ah Brent....so glad everything turned out well!

Servers, oddly enough, tend to encounter choking much more than the average person. Being it was the first time you'd seen someone choking, your son or not, it's much tougher to overcome the shock and actually do something. Kudos to Nick for his quick actions! :tup:

I think everyone would be surprised how high the percentage is for people freezing in panic mode under certain circumstances. There was an airliner that caught fire on the runway before takeoff a bunch of years back. After the fact, they went back and figured out what each passenger did under the circumstances, mapping out what eventually happened. Who bolted to save themselves, who saved themselves and also stopped to save others, and who just sat in their seats waiting for someone (of authority) to tell them what to do.

Incredibly, the latter was upwards of 80%...unbelievable. :tup:

Once...as a server....we had one patron choking on too big a bite. The man was 400lbs....at least! No way one person could do the Heimlich on him...we collaborated...lol. Finally saved the guy, but all the while, his wife was still sitting in the booth, chastising him about his eating habits and how it would "serve him right if he choked to death." :wacko:

Anyway......learn it! Then don't be afraid to use it. :lol:

Good to hear everything worket out Brent. Definitely scary stuff.

Oh and I can vouch that SayItAintSoJoe needs to get to a class immediately. 15 years or so ago we were spending an entire football Sunday watching the games and drinking beer all day (just like every other fall Sunday). We walk down to my house later that night. Mrs. Puddy is already in bed and I grab a piece of chicken to curb my drunken craving. A couple of bites in and sure enough a piece is stuck in my windpipe. I start making this horrible noise trying to breathe. Joe is still there and realized I'm in trouble. He tries to do a version of the Heimlich and wraps his arms around me from behind (which incidentally felt better than it should have :wacko:) and proceeds to lift me off the ground several times trying to dislodge this piece of chicken. It was the absolute worst attempt at the Heimlich in the history of bad Heimlich attempts. I finally throw myself into the dining room wall backwards and it clears my throat.

I immediately go into my bedroom and ask my wife why she didn't get up to check what the hell was going on. She said she figured my drunk ass was throwing up from drinking and didn't want to deal with me. :tup:

Edited by Puddy

On a side note. We have a lake in our front yard and decided that we needed to get our 14 month old some sort of swimming lessons. Found this group... It is amazing what they can do in 3 weeks time.

Basically it is not swimming lessons, they teach the child what to do in the case they fall into a poll or body of water. The details are on the page. Let me tell you, I feel 100X better knowing that if she does slip away and end up in th lake, we at least have a couple of minutes to find her due to the training from these classes. Also, they are very reasonably priced.

Good to hear everything worket out Brent. Definitely scary stuff.

Oh and I can vouch that SayItAintSoJoe needs to get to a class immediately. 15 years or so ago we were spending an entire football Sunday watching the games and drinking beer all day (just like every other fall Sunday). We walk down to my house later that night. Mrs. Puddy is already in bed and I grab a piece of chicken to curb my drunken craving. A couple of bites in and sure enough a piece is stuck in my windpipe. I start making this horrible noise trying to breathe. Joe is still there and realized I'm in trouble. He tries to do a version of the Heimlich and wraps his arms around me from behind (which incidentally felt better than it should have :wacko:) and proceeds to lift me off the ground several times trying to dislodge this piece of chicken. It was the absolute worst attempt at the Heimlich in the history of bad Heimlich attempts. I finally throw myself into the dining room wall backwards and it clears my throat.

I immediately go into my bedroom and ask my wife why she didn't get up to check what the hell was going on. She said she figured my drunk ass was throwing up from drinking and didn't want to deal with me. :tup:

# 1. Thank God you are OK

# 2. :tup:

Good to hear that your son is ok

If you take a CPR (Cadrio Pulmonary Resucitation) class they teach you CPR...you won't learn the Heimlach maneuver in a CPR class (at least not normally)...possibly if you can find an all encompassing First Aide class but not in a CPR class.

Most of my CPR classes have included sections on choking and the heimlich, as well as differences between adult and child. I know the certification is good for two years, but, considering the guidelines changed considerably between my last two certifications, I want to take refreshers more often. Fortunately, my work is offering classes now, so I am going to take advantage of that. I would like to take a good first aid class though.

I'd have to draw up some papers for you to sign stating that you won't hold me liable for any outcome before helping. Otherwise, I'm staying out of it. It's the American way.

From my understanding, there has never been a succesful lawsuit against a licensed first aid provider applying first aid techniques for which they had been trained. Proper CPR often breaks ribs, etc.

ETA: Most importantly, very happy your boy is ok Brent.

Edited by Big Country