[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Training camp/preseason standouts

rajncajn

This thread is mostly for dynasty and deeper leagues, but I thought it would be good for homers to point out some of the lesser known players on their teams, both offense & defense, who have really played well through the preseason and look like they could be future stars.

For the Saints:

Chase Daniel QB - I really hope the Saints keep him over Ramsey, he's shown a lot of poise for such a young player & has really seemed to earn the trust of the team. He's been called Brees Lite & Mini Brees and for good reason IMO. If the Saints don't keep him some other team will be very lucky to pick him up and I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting this year.

Adrian Arrington WR - The guy has had a stellar preseason and looks ready to finally break out, but lets face it, he's got Colston, Meachem, Henderson & Moore in front of him not to mention Roby's return ability. Same as Daniel, if he ends up on another team this year then he could be a starter right away.

Jimmy Graham TE - Still a project, but the guy is catching on very quickly and has been making plays all over the place, including a blocked punt tonight. He'll definitely make the team and could end up being Brees' next Antonio Gates. Especially when you consider Shockey's injury history.

Junior Galette DE - Not even listed on most fantasy league sites yet, but this guy has been a monster. Belichick even commented that he was unstoppable all week during the Saints/Pats practice and tonight he more than showed those skills. Should make the team & should get into the rotation as a pass rusher early. With Alex Brown turning 32 soon his playing time could be on the rise sooner rather than later.

I'd add Jonathan Casillas as well, but aside from the one great game and the hype from the coaches he's been injured, including a foot injury tonight. The jury is still out, but I certainly believe he can be a big play maker at WLB for us this year... if he can just keep healthy.

Do you think Lance Moore will have decent numbers this year? I heard he looks great in practice.

Depends on your idea of decent. Right now he's probably Brees' #5 target, (could be lower if they do as I predict & throw to Bush more) but with the way the Saints spread the ball around he'll still get a decent amount of catches. Barring injury I don't see him matching his 08 numbers, but I don't think 60 rec, 700-800 yds & 7 TDs is out of the question which could make him a decent WR flex play.

Edited by rajncajn

Depends on your idea of decent. Right now he's probably Brees' #5 target, (could be lower if they do as I predict & throw to Bush more) but with the way the Saints spread the ball around he'll still get a decent amount of catches. Barring injury I don't see him matching his 08 numbers, but I don't think 60 rec, 700-800 yds & 7 TDs is out of the question which could make him a decent WR flex play.

60 rec, 700-800 yds, 7 TD. I think that would be pretty damn good considering all the options Brees has.

Sea--

QB--Whitehurst--kid is going to be a player

WR--Deon Butler--relatively quiet until a big breakout game last night, looked really fast.

WR--Mike Williams--discussed enough

CB--Walter Thurmond--hasn't stood out to me, but obviously is playing well if they got rid of Wilson

LB--Dexter Davis--shown pass-rushing skills at OLB. Will make the team and could play because of the desperation for pass-rush

DE--Charlie Clemons--has shown a couple really impressive moves. Many teams have given up, still trying to figure out why.

Chiefs:

WR Jereme Horne. This guy has been getting a decent amount of looks and caught a TD pass in preseason. Someone to keep an eye on.

Safety: Kendrick Lewis. 5th round pick this year that looks to be a good find. Seems to be a good tackler, and with the Chiefs bad front seven should be a good IDP player. Seems to always be around the ball.

So, you homers scared to fess up or is it just not as good an idea as I thought? :wacko:

I'm a Bengals fan and two players come to mind.

Bernard Scott - He's really already a known quantity, but I see him getting much more work than people think. For one, he's in much better condition going into his 2nd year. He admitted that he really didn't know how to train properly before last year. By the end of the season he was admittedly out of gas. Also, Benson has never played a conplete season, so at some point during the year you will probably have a decent #2 RB. The last point I want to make is that CBenson is a FA after this year, so he gains some value to your good Deep Keeper & Dynasty owners. I hope the Bengals don't resign Benson and let Scott and possibly another draft pick handle the load.

Jordan Shipley - Ship has come in from day 1 and just taken the 3rd WR/Slot spot. He's looked good in pre-season and has been the talk of Camp over players like Gresham and MJohnson. He should be a nice security blanket for Palmer which should get allot of looks with our subpar pass blocking (God Andre Smith looks awful out there). He possibly has even more value next year with both TO and Ocho FA's.

I would list Gresham, but he is a 1st round pick. He's supposed to be good.

All of this is of course is predicated that this is the Rams we're talking about, so . . .

Jackson - Looks like his old self. As long as the back holds out, he's probably at least as productive as last year. Really probably your only solid fantasy option on the Rams.

Bradford - has looked terrific. Really good. Dynasty guys may want to stash him.

Hoomanawanui TE - Smart, big, great hands. He has come in and basically won the starting spot.

Amendola - If preseason is an indicator he's Bradford's favorite target. Take that for what it's worth.

That is all. Return to talking about teams with many solid fantasy options

The sleeper looks I've picked up or am considering based on their performance this preseason (deep dynasty league):

Matt Willis Den WR

Eugene Chung NE safety

Peyton Hillis (less of a sleeper today) RB Cleveland

Lance Ball Den RB

Mike Goodson Car RB

Jackie Battle KC RB

I just don't see Battle as a long term solution. Good roster filler, good on special teams, and can function in a pinch. Great guy for an NFL roster; not so much for FF. When I watch him run, it seems like he needs a big hole to make yards, because he's too much of a plodder to see a small hole and burst through.

Undrafted rookie Junior Galette excited about making New Orleans Saints roster

Friday, September 03, 2010, 5:15 PM

Nakia Hogan, The Times-Picayune

New Orleans Saints undrafted rookie defensive end defensive end Junior Galette was ecstatic when he found out he had beat the odds and made the Saints 53-man roster.

While the Saints hadn't officially confirmed any roster moves, Galette said he found out in a meeting Friday afternoon.

"This is probably the biggest accomplishment of my life," Galette said. "I can't even begin to put into words how much this means to me and my family and how excited we are to reaching the next step to the next goal."

Galette was one of the big surprises of training camp after being undrafted out of Stillman College. During the preseason, Galette registered six tackles and a sack. But throughout camp he displayed the type of raw skills that turned the heads of coaches and Saints fans.

Galette said there is a possibility that he could also be used as a linebacker this season as well as an outside rusher on passing downs.

"The road to get here was such a rough and bumpy road," said Galette, who was born in Haiti. "They say that when you go through these bumpy roads at the end of the line there is paradise. This is something that I dreamed about since I came to this country."...

Contd

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...or_galett.html

A few guys I've "noticed" this pre-season, even though they're not necessarily homer players:

Dixon RB SF - I've heard mixed reviews... Some people love this guy, others don't think he'll see much playing time unless Gore goes down with an injury. Personally, from what I've seen of him, he's the real deal. In other words, whether Gore stays 100% healthy or not, I have a hard time believing Dixon won't see a decent amount of touches this season. Robinson has been cut... that leaves Dixon and Westbrook. If I have to choose one SF back (other than Gore) to snag in the later rounds of a draft, I'll take Dixon ten times out of ten, WAAAYYY before the thought of taking Westbrook even crosses my mind. Westbrook is going to be a non-factor this year. Dixon, on the other hand, I think will get a decent amount of work... if nothing else, simply due to the fact that Singletary is smart enough to realize that it's not in his best interest to run Gore into the ground.

Amendola - I'll spare you the Welker comparison, but I can't help but like this kid's fearlessness, on both returns and in the slot. He hauled in 43 catches last season... now he's inherited (at least for now) a starting WR job, partially due to the loss of Avery for the season. I liked Amendola before the Avery injury... I am targeting him even more now that he's basically assured plenty of targets, as long as HE can stay healthy. The one thing that concerns me is that it sounds like he'll continue to return both kickoffs and punts... given how fearless he is, I can't help but wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy all season. That said, I'll take a shot on him in deeper leagues, and he's a no-brainer in leagues that award points for return yardage. In fact, I drafted him in the THIRD round of my one league that gives return yards (it's a keeper league, so the third round equates to probably 6th/7th in a redraft).

Anthony Armstrong WR WAS - In deeper leagues, this guy is worth a shot... He's played his way into seeing regular time with the Skins, as their third WR. Given that Devin Thomas is somewhat unproven, and Santana Moss' ability to "disappear" at times (deep threat that lacks consistency, in my opinion), it wouldn't surprise me at all if Armstrong is at or near the top of the list of receptions by a WR in Washington this year. Not saying it's GOING to happen... it just wouldn't necessarily shock me, that's all. I'll take him with a late pick in deep leagues, especially PPR leagues.

Marlon Moore WR MIA - I think it's worth noting that this guy's play in the pre-season is a big reason why the Dolphins were willing to part with Camarillo. When healthy, Camarillo was a better-than-decent PPR WR. Moore not only has the ability to become that guy, he's got better moves than Camarillo, in terms of being able to make defenders miss. Moore is probably nothing more than Miami's 4th WR at this point, but I like his versatility. If either Bess or Hartline have any sort of injury issues this season, I could see Moore contributing enough to make him worth a roster spot in deep dynasty leagues, or maybe more.

• 11 months later...

I was looking for the last time I mentioned Casillias before he ended up on IR last year & found this thread. It's looking like he's picked up where he left off last year and anyone who saw the game last night will see how much upside this guy has.

Arrington looks like he may have regressed a little. He's not doing anything bad necessarily, but he's also not making much of an impression this year. He's also hurt again.

If you're looking for an offensive sleeper for the Saints this year I'd nominate Joique Bell. He's been the 2nd best RB in camp so far behind Ingram & had a very good outing last night. Unfortunately it's already a crowded position. he may well make the team, but how much time he gets will be dictated by the onther backs.