[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about Saws. . .

SheikYerbuti

I'm thinking about getting a new hobby. I'm going to get into woodworking. Specifically, building some basic furniture: bookcases, desks, shelves, that thing that goes over your toilet with the cabinet. Should I be investing in a table saw, a circular saw, both, or something else?

Discuss.

I'm thinking about getting a new hobby. I'm going to get into woodworking. Specifically, building some basic furniture: bookcases, desks, shelves, that thing that goes over your toilet with the cabinet. Should I be investing in a table saw, a circular saw, both, or something else?

Discuss.

If you're going to build furniture, it's of my opinion you need a table saw. I got a circular saw, and from what I know (which isn't much), you can't do good miter cuts with a saw like that. Much easier with a table saw.

i just started woodworking myself. about seven months ago i built a table for my big green egg, using mainly a circular saw and miter saw. being a novice, my cuts were imprecise, and even though i was generally happy with the finished product, the imperfections bug me.

this summer i began building a playhouse for my kids. i got this miter saw, which i really wish i had when i did the table. i barely used my circular saw after that. i also have been using a ryobi portable table saw, which i borrowed from a friend.

so advice from a beginner: definitely get a miter saw. it doesn't have to be anything fancy. if you don't want to get a table saw, i use a couple adjustable table saws and my saber saw to cut plywood. a cheap shop-vac is also very useful.

WOW they're expensive.

Yeah. But I think that you need a table saw in a woodshop. Circular saws can't do nearly as much, they are harder to use and you can't get nearly comparable results. I think that the only time that you use a circular saw in a woodshop is if you cant get the material on the table. (My uncle was a carpenter.)

You don't need a full blown cabinet saw. I don't know how much a decent table saw is - $500-$600 maybe?

A jig saw is cheap. If you get serious, you can graduate to a band saw.

You'll want to pick up a router too. :tup:

EDIT: I forgot about the miter saw. :wacko:

Edited by Furd

Sheik,

A table saw is in your future, but you don't have to have one right now. I'd start with a drill, a circular saw, a GOOD compound miter saw, a decent set of chisels and a few other things. Build on it as you go. If you have the coin I'd get a good jig saw and a plunge base router to start, too. When I got into it a few years ago, I got the idiots guide to woodworking and it was VERY helpful - I highly recommend as your first book.

The thing is, furniture building is probably a few years down the road for you. Start with stuff like outdoor planters, little shelves, toys, etc. As you get better your preferences will crystallize. Additionally, there are coops you can become a member of that have outfitted shops you can use. You'll probably want to build yourself a good workbench and router tables as your first furniture build.

Go to the library and borrow a few books on the subject. There are books for certain tools even - projects make entirely with a bandsaw, a scroll saw, etc. Get some books for beginners and start making the planters and such. You'll build up your skill in no time and progress to better projects.

Myself, I have a very old Craftsman table-saw and the tilting-head band saw. My routers are Porter-Cable, and I have a cheap chinese scroll saw. Stanley planes, Record chisels, mostly mid-level stuff. If I had my druthers, it'd be a Powermatic 66 cabinet saw (with the fence and outfeed tables I want it'd be $2500 or so). Oh, and ALWAYS buy the best measuring and marking tools you can afford.

A radial arm saw is still the most versatile tool around. Mitre's, cross cuts, rips, plus it can sand, dado, and more.

For sure on this but the area and the cost probably dose not make this an easy one to start up with. However, if I had my choice and the room and money, this is the way I would go.