[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "would you rather" game

montster

The scenario: A regular-season game in MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather:

• Hit a walk-off homerun
    • Throw or catch the game-winning TD with no time left
    • Swish a game-winning buzzer-beater
    • Score a last-second one-timer (or whatever the hockey equivalent is)

The scenario: You are given the chance to experience the ultimate in sporting glory, the last-second game-winner. For the purposes of this question, it is assumed that the scenario involves a regular-season, professional (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) game -- not an exhibition, so the game still "counts," but not a championship game, because, come on, that would be too unrealistic.

You are given the chance to experience hitting a walk-off home-run; to throw or catch the game-winning TD with no time remaining; to swish a game-winning buzzer-beater; or to score a last-second one-timer (or the hockey equivalent -- I'm not a big hockey fan). For the sake of argument, it's all real -- the coach/manager sends you in, you do your thing and you get to bask in the glory, however long it lasts. The scenario takes place in front of your home fans, so assume everyone will be cheering, not booing. You are yourself, not Peyton Manning or Derek Jeter, so you don't get to go bang Minka Kelly afterward. Which do you choose?

My choice is the homerun. Football is my favorite sport, but the trot around the bases would make the experience last just that much longer, and it's such a quintessential part of American sports. Plus I absolutely suck at baseball/softball, and parking a fastball into the bleachers would just be an awesome feeling.

A playoff OT goal is the best thing in sports. As long as we're dreaming it might as well be game 7. And after I score it I am going Theo Fleury all over the ice. Skating, sliding, popping up on my knees with my hands in the air, followed by several lines of blow in the locker room!

Can't decide, so I'll say "Putty." As in, sink a 30-foot putt to win the U.S. Open. :wacko:

Yep, that is the one I wanted to go with, except mine was the Open Championship.

As far as the ones listed, it has to be the 3-pointer, no? A lot of us started preparing for that moment at five years old. How many times have you counted down the clock and launched the shot?

I'd rank them like this:

1. Throwing the game-winning TD

2. Scoring a last second or overtime goal

3. Hitting the game-winning buzzer beater

4. Hitting a walk-off home run

Throwing a last second TD in front of 80,000 screaming fans to get an always-crucial win? Easily tops the list IMO. Scoring the winning point(s) in basketball or hockey, as awesome as that may be, just isn't as good. Hockey beats basketball because I think hockey fans are a bit more excitable and I like the sport better. The walk-off home run is a distant fourth, largely due to the fact that a single win in a 160+ game season means almost nothing IMO. If I'm going to score a game-winning anything I want it to be as meaningful as possible, and since we're restricted to regular season games that pretty much kills the baseball equivalent. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, it just can't compare to the other three, especially the TD.

I'd rank them like this:

1. Throwing the game-winning TD

2. Scoring a last second or overtime goal

3. Hitting the game-winning buzzer beater

4. Hitting a walk-off home run

Throwing a last second TD in front of 80,000 screaming fans to get an always-crucial win? Easily tops the list IMO. Scoring the winning point(s) in basketball or hockey, as awesome as that may be, just isn't as good. Hockey beats basketball because I think hockey fans are a bit more excitable and I like the sport better. The walk-off home run is a distant fourth, largely due to the fact that a single win in a 160+ game season means almost nothing IMO. If I'm going to score a game-winning anything I want it to be as meaningful as possible, and since we're restricted to regular season games that pretty much kills the baseball equivalent. Not saying it wouldn't be cool, it just can't compare to the other three, especially the TD.

solid points- I din't notice they were regular season games........

poll is flawed.... of course with a 16 game season an NFL game-winning TD would mean much more than the others

The only way you can rank these evenly is if they were playoff or championship-level games........