[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watch this middle school QB avoid the rush

Furd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There a good life lesson for ya. It's called situational awareness otherwise known as "F'ING PAY ATTENTTION TO WHAT'S GOING ON!" :wacko:

There a good life lesson for ya. It's called situational awareness otherwise known as "F'ING PAY ATTENTTION TO WHAT'S GOING ON!" :wacko:

Yup - great call. They didn't break any rules - just took advantage of the defense's expectation that a play doesn't start until the O-line engages as a unit. It's the Wildcat on steriods.

and some of you guys wonder why we have so many lawyers

though inside the "formal" rules of the game, the offensive team broke the "informal" rules of the game with that BS play

if my kids were on the offensive team, I would be pissed at their coach and I would tell my kids that the play was poor sportsmanship

My nephews that are nine and playing dynamites had a coach this past year that was trying to do a play similar to this with them. Coach was a total joke. Working on plays like this and other stuff that kids this young do not need (something about preparing for national tournaments!!). Barely spent any time on the fundamentals and worked only with the players that he "recruited" with a trip to Disney after the season. It was my nephews' first year. They will not be playing on that team next year.

though inside the "formal" rules of the game, the offensive team broke the "informal" rules of the game with that BS play

if my kids were on the offensive team, I would be pissed at their coach and I would tell my kids that the play was poor sportsmanship

I disagree that this is poor sportsmanship. I perceive it as simply a successful trick play--similar to a flea flicker, a fake field goal, half back pass, etc.

I disagree that this is poor sportsmanship. I perceive it as simply a successful trick play--similar to a flea flicker, a fake field goal, half back pass, etc.

all of those plays are well within the "informal" rules of the game

this play was not

I can see maybe getting worked up over this if it were at the Varsity High School football level or above, but give me a break! These are young kids in Middle School playing a game to have some fun. It's like sand-lot football, and any kind of clever trickery at this level is just fine IMO. Lighten up.

all of those plays are well within the "informal" rules of the game

this play was not

Creativity is something to be fostered. If it were my son on the offensive team, I'd be reinforcing the benefits of thinking creatively and out-of-the box (actually, I'd do the same if I was a parent of a child on the defensive team). The purpose of the game of football is to score more points than the other team. This coach came up with a very creative play. He broke no formal or informal rules.

I can see maybe getting worked up over this if it were at the Varsity High School football level or above

I disagree here as well. Again, it was a creative play that worked. I can't imagine the team spent much time working on this play. After all, it was a basic formation where the only thing that most of the other players had to remember to do was simply not move.

I like lawyers.

I like lawyers too. My point is that the reason we have more and more lawyers is because there is an increasing movement to impersonal transactions in parties will be guided solely by the formal rules and not as much by informal rules. To make sure the formal rules are enacted and followed you need lawyers. You don't need lawyers for a transaction conducted via a handshake where each party knows that the other person will follow not only the formal rules, but will also follow the informal rules (such as not screwing over the other party by exploiting a loophole in the formal agreement).

I can see maybe getting worked up over this if it were at the Varsity High School football level or above, but give me a break! These are young kids in Middle School playing a game to have some fun. It's like sand-lot football, and any kind of clever trickery at this level is just fine IMO. Lighten up.

The higher up you go, the less offended I would be by the play. In the pro's I would think it was a great call. This is because in the pro's, the informal rules of the game pretty much follow the formal rules of the game (i.e. all legal plays are valid and are not bad sportsmanship).