[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watch this middle school QB avoid the rush

Furd

I just don't see where this is unfair. And I'm not trying to be argumentative or obtuse. It really seemed a clever play.

This - it was more akin to the fake time-out (Peyton?) - great call.

On-side kicks and QBs playing with hard snap counts are legal ways of messing with the other team's expectations of normalcy - I don't see where this is any different.

There is much more real cheating to worry about in sports.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have coached 9-10 year old football for 12 years so I do have some perspective.

I have never run a trick play like this, I have run the Statue of Liberty and the Annexation of Puerto Rico play (from Little Giants) both of which the kids love to run.

I have had a play similar to this run on me . QB lined up behind the guard instead of the center, the RB tells him he is in the wrong spot the QB turns around to argue with the RB who walk towards the QB and stops (but is directly behind the center), the center gives the ball to the RB during the argument and the RB just walks toward the sideline while continuing to argue with the QB until he gets around the end and then he takes off up field. The first time the team did score a TD. I used it as a great lesson for my players. We have always coached to the defense you move when the ball moves, don't listen just watch the ball or the guy in front of you. They move you move.

The next time a team ran a play like that my defense crushed the kid caused a fumble and we scored. Every so often a team will still try a trick play like and it has never worked, because we coach the kids to react to the ball moving.

Is it bush league, yep! But then so is an onside kick at that level. However, use it as a lesson, suck it up and make sure if it ever happens again your team is prepared to react to it. The argument that it is "unfair" or "shameful" or "bending the rule" is valid but again give the kids some credit and let them learn to react to situations that are not inside the box. Quit "protecting" them from all the "unfair" things that might happen to them. I'll bet if you asked every player on that field what they thought about that play (before an adult got to them) most of the kids would think it was pretty cool.

Kids are very resilient and very capable of overcoming adversity. Let them.

Tim C would not be the man is today if his father had not given him all those life lessons, if his father hadn’t he’d be a Yankee loving, prius driving, Glee watching, Cowboy fan instead of a Jonny Reb, Corvette driving, World Series of Poker watching Cow…. well obviously his Dad spared the rod a little too much :wacko:

I like (and respect) all of this.

Saw on the news about another trick play involving a kid doing backhand springs.

Anyone think this is getting out of hand and just an excuse for people to be the next YouTube sensation?

I once scored a touchdown with no pants on. Of course, it was 1973 and there was no YouTube and video cameras were like $125,000 so no record of it. All I remember is everyone was kinda creeped out.

Except for that old guy with a mustache waiting to help me celebrate at the back of the endzone. We invented the low-five that day.

I remember playing for the Bethleham Steelers back in 1974 at 8 years old. I was a cornerback. Guy ran an end-around and I got clipped badly but the refs didn't call it. We lost the game on that play. On the ride home, my Dad and I stopped for ice cream. Of course, losers like me didn't get any ice cream. He did let me hold his beer on the ride home from the ice cream shop so that showed he still loved me. He taught me an important lesson and punched me in the back over and over again. He told me there are no refs around in real life. I'll never forget the tears that day. Then he hugged me. Well, he was really drunk and thought he could pop the ribs he had broken back in place and no one would notice. I still say it's a hug.

I never got fooled again and killed the next 9-year old boy that tried a double reverse on me. The juvenile court found me innocent and my playing days were over. Okay, really my Dad wouldn't drive me to the games anymore after the DUI.

There can't be a dry eye in the house. :wacko:

TimC voluntarily played for a team called the Steelers. :tup:

Wow, obviously most here didn't play football as little kids. In the Seattle area, each Pee-wee football franchise plays 5-6 games every Saturday,from the 7-year olds to the 15s. You'll see a play similar to this on almost every field in the state at some point throughout the day. It will teach players real quick to think on their feet and to be ready for anything, also gets kids thinking about other kinds of trick plays that are possible, which at least gets some creative football juices going. Some here are wound up wayyyyy too tight.

Wow, obviously most here didn't play football as little kids. In the Seattle area, each Pee-wee football franchise plays 5-6 games every Saturday,from the 7-year olds to the 15s. You'll see a play similar to this on almost every field in the state at some point throughout the day. It will teach players real quick to think on their feet and to be ready for anything, also gets kids thinking about other kinds of trick plays that are possible, which at least gets some creative football juices going. Some here are wound up wayyyyy too tight.

I have no problem with the play -

let's get real tho, I would say most here DID play pee wee football Mr. Lombardi.....and trust me a play like this was never ran in the league I played in. One of our LB would have blasted him first and asked questions later

Edited by wildcat2334