[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"you know it's a Myth"

whomper

Linky

So this billboard is recently put up at the Lincoln Tunnel around the holidays which sees tons of travelers daily going into NYC. Some say , why take an unprovoked crap on peoples holiday ? Some say it is provoked because religion is thrust upon athiests consistently. Thoughts ?

Edited by whomper

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

So this billboard is recently put up at the Lincoln Tunnel around the holidays which sees tons of travelers daily going into NYC. Some say , why take an unprovoked crap on peoples holiday ? Some say it is provoked because religion is thrust upon athiests consistently. Thoughts ?

crappy I guess, but no harm done.

:wacko: My faith is stronger than a billboard... if anyone's is shaken because of this, then they weren't much of a Christian to begin with now were they? And since that is most likely the case with almost all Christians, I guess I would have to ask... what's the point?

:wacko: My faith is stronger than a billboard... if anyone's is shaken because of this, then they weren't much of a Christian to begin with now were they? And since that is most likely the case with almost all Christians, I guess I would have to ask... what's the point?

FWIW, the dude says one of the primary targets are "closet atheists". Those who go through the motions of following Christianity but really don't believe it. Maybe he's hoping that this is the final straw?

And, honestly, for those of us who don't like the church's political agenda and arrogance in the face of what we feel are legitimate charges would prefer that as few people as possible lend legitimacy to the church by counting themselves as followers. One would think that the first step is to get those who are just showing up each Sunday because that's what they've always done to stop going.

As far as crapping on Xmas, he does have a point. This is the winter solstice for everyone. People get all pissed off when a school changes the name of the Christmas Pageant to the Holiday Pageant, but frankly, the school should. Those are public schools and this is not a Christian nation. It's a nation that has a bunch of Christians in it. So, again, the Christians feel like their way of life is being attacked, when all that is happening is that people are simply pushing back.

That said, I would not have spent my money on putting up that billboard.

It's tacky, but I'm not surprised nor bothered by it, I see things like this all the time. Jesus is the reason for the season:) my personal belief, I dont try to convert anyone, just glad and truly happy to be a Christian, in that I find comfort and peace:)

FWIW, the dude says one of the primary targets are "closet atheists". Those who go through the motions of following Christianity but really don't believe it. Maybe he's hoping that this is the final straw?

And, honestly, for those of us who don't like the church's political agenda and arrogance in the face of what we feel are legitimate charges would prefer that as few people as possible lend legitimacy to the church by counting themselves as followers. One would think that the first step is to get those who are just showing up each Sunday because that's what they've always done to stop going.

As far as crapping on Xmas, he does have a point. This is the winter solstice for everyone. People get all pissed off when a school changes the name of the Christmas Pageant to the Holiday Pageant, but frankly, the school should. Those are public schools and this is not a Christian nation. It's a nation that has a bunch of Christians in it. So, again, the Christians feel like their way of life is being attacked, when all that is happening is that people are simply pushing back.

That said, I would not have spent my money on putting up that billboard.

Not a christian nation? The latest demographics report that 76% of adult Americans define themselves as christians. Every single last one of the founding fathers were christians, and our constituion and laws are based on a generic christian based value sytem.

Most "practicing" christians also disagree with many of their chosen church's policies and politics. They typically embrace the root beliefs of those same churches. If the vast majority of people want it to be called a Christmas pageant, and it is called something else because of a vocal, activie, quite small minority, is that democracy? The atheist/agnostic population is baerely 15% in the US.

He has a point? Crapping on a religious holiday is OK? Holy flyin shnikes. I HATE this politically correct horse manure, and that is what it is. Isn't the idea for people like me to respect his choice to be an atheist, and for he to respect my beliefs? Isn't that WHY the europeans came here for in the first freakin place? Why attack? Do christians attack atheists on billboards? Unbelievable... and really, quite sad.

Not a christian nation? The latest demographics report that 76% of adult Americans define themselves as christians. Every single last one of the founding fathers were christians, and our constituion and laws are based on a generic christian based value sytem.

Most "practicing" christians also disagree with many of their chosen church's policies and politics. They typically embrace the root beliefs of those same churches. If the vast majority of people want it to be called a Christmas pageant, and it is called something else because of a vocal, activie, quite small minority, is that democracy? The atheist/agnostic population is baerely 15% in the US.

He has a point? Crapping on a religious holiday is OK? Holy flyin shnikes. I HATE this politically correct horse manure, and that is what it is. Isn't the idea for people like me to respect his choice to be an atheist, and for he to respect my beliefs? Isn't that WHY the europeans came here for in the first freakin place? Why attack? Do christians attack atheists on billboards? Unbelievable... and really, quite sad.

Seriously asking here Rovers . . . how are they "crapping on a religious holiday"? How is this an "attack"?

The story of the three wise men following a star isnt even accepted by all branches of Christianity! For all intents and purposes, it IS a myth. They arent saying "F'k Christmas, Jesus and the horse they rode in on", cause then they WOULD be attacking Christianity and quickly find that isnt very popular. They are trying to make a point that a lot of religion is based on collective faith that certain things have happened, and that they believe their lack of faith is equal to using reason. Is it tasteless, and not very likely to "de-convert" anyone? No. But did it get its intended response of nationwide attention for their "cause"? Yep.

The christian belief system has weathered much worse than a billboard, and I am quite confident it will continue on despite this minor setback. . . :wacko:

And the "not a Christian Nation" I think refers to the fact we have no official state-sponsored religion. You are exactly right that most Americans identify themselves as being Christian, but it isnt sponsored by the state . . .

Wait till you see the one they're going to put up next Ramadan! Oh wait. They probably won't for fear of the angst that will be brought down upon them and the death threats they would receive. Prolly even get a fatwah or two leveled against them.

Nowhere in the Constitution is it said that there is to be a separation of church and state. In fact, it was the desire of the Founders that faith be an integral part of our Government. Our rights come from God, after all - not the Government. <--That is written in the Constitution. Our values system is based on the Christian religion - not the Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, ect, religion. The Government doesn't grant you the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - you are inherently born with it. The Federal Government was simply formed to protect those God given rights, so you may live as a free man to pursue happiness. God is the creator of all our rights, they come from God inherently, because a right granted by the Government (Man) can be taken away by the Government. The Founders, having just escaped from true tyranny, knew this. That is why we are a Christian nation, not because we force people into Christianity, of course we don't.

God given rights are what make this country exceptional, because we are the exception to all 5000 years of past human history, in that we base our Government not on rights granted by a man, but rights inherited from God himself, and formed a Government simply to protect out God given rights.

Christmas is a celebration, passed into law by U.S. Grant in 1870, of the philisophy of Jesus. His philosophy being the very foundation of our culture and value system. Jesus was a real person. That's how celebrating Christmas is seen as not being a state endorsement of Christianity in the eyes of the Law. Now, if you want to take it to the next level, and believe Jesus is the son of God and worship him as your religion of choice, aka practice Christianity, that is your choice.

Grant didn't sign into law the celebration of the solstice, or a generic holiday designation.

And the Constitution doesn't guarantee freedom from being offended.

Nowhere in the Constitution is it said that there is to be a separation of church and state. In fact, it was the desire of the Founders that faith be an integral part of our Government. Our rights come from God, after all - not the Government. <--That is written in the Constitution. Our values system is based on the Christian religion - not the Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, ect, religion. The Government doesn't grant you the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - you are inherently born with it. The Federal Government was simply formed to protect those God given rights, so you may live as a free man to pursue happiness. God is the creator of all our rights, they come from God inherently, because a right granted by the Government (Man) can be taken away by the Government. The Founders, having just escaped from true tyranny, knew this. That is why we are a Christian nation, not because we force people into Christianity, of course we don't.

God given rights are what make this country exceptional, because we are the exception to all 5000 years of past human history, in that we base our Government not on rights granted by a man, but rights inherited from God himself, and formed a Government simply to protect out God given rights.

Christmas is a celebration, passed into law by U.S. Grant in 1870, of the philisophy of Jesus. His philosophy being the very foundation of our culture and value system. Jesus was a real person. That's how celebrating Christmas is seen as not being a state endorsement of Christianity in the eyes of the Law. Now, if you want to take it to the next level, and believe Jesus is the son of God and worship him as your religion of choice, aka practice Christianity, that is your choice.

Grant didn't sign into law the celebration of the solstice, or a generic holiday designation.

And the Constitution doesn't guarantee freedom from being offended.

How come we had slaves?