[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lottery tickets or scratch-offs as Xmas gifts

Delicious_bass

Tis the season of giving and I have some relatives(I suspect some of you do, too) that are fond of giving lottery tickets/scratch games/etc as small gifts/stocking stuffers. I anticipate getting some next weekend and I still have a bunch left from my b-day that I have not scratched off yet. My question: if a person wins a substantial amount of money on something like this, is that person at all obligated to give some of the prize to the giver? :wacko: I am not talking about $50 or $100. I am talking about a grand or more...

So what sayeth ye Huddlers? Are there any obligations when it comes to gifts like this? What would you do/have you done in a case like that? :tup:

the rule between my friends and family is that the giver gets 10% on any winner over $100. it's worked ok so far....

That sounds good to me. Even with a jackpot I'd say 10% post tax. I know, not fair as it was a gift, but good will and all. No need to burn bridges over 10% of 'free' money.

I'd flip them something. How much would depend on a host of factors, including whether or not I thought they were a-holes. I would not use a blanket 10% YMMV.

Seems reasonable. I mean, why not? It's found money to you. All things being equal, it sure would be nice to share the love. Maybe buy dinner that weekend or something.

Of course, I might expect wealthy relatives would refuse the gesture from their young nephew who's struggling to make his rent or something like that.

The money is for the person that won it.

If ya really want, then buy them 50 bucks of scratch off tickets as a thanks you . . maybe they will win more?

Love that answer. :wacko:

Though realistically I certainly would not apply it.

Anything over a thousand dollars, I would give 20%

I have in the past given lottery tickets once or twice, but ultimately, let's not kid ourselves, when doing so it's because we have 1) a lack of imagination 2) a hope to vicariously live the excitement of gambling through another person 3) we have given a gift worth very little that we can claim was very very valuable.

And in the end it's a little like playng for yourself, but with a pretty crappy pay out (i spent ten dollars and got a 200 dollar return on a prize that was worth a thousand)

If I were the recipient I would probbaly not give back anything under $1000. And anything over $1000 I probably would not give any money, but would take them out for a nice dinner or buy them a nice gift (but no money).

In general though, gifts should never be given with any kind of understanding that you get something in return. If you can't give unconditionally, then don't bother.

I have given lottery tickets as a stocking stuffer before. I have hoped that the person would win something...but I in no way expected anything back if they did no matter how much they won. Not the reason I gave it as a gift.

Were it the other way around I would give the person something but that's just me.

If I were the recipient I would probbaly not give back anything under $1000. And anything over $1000 I probably would not give any money, but would take them out for a nice dinner or buy them a nice gift (but no money).

In general though, gifts should never be given with any kind of understanding that you get something in return. If you can't give unconditionally, then don't bother.

Agreed. Nobody should expect money in return. When I said, "fair enough", I really meant to say that would seem like a nice thing to do if you won a bunch of money. However, like you, I'd buy them something with it.

Unless its immediate family, I probably wouldn't say anything.

If your winnings are that significant, you're probably going to come across as a cheap bastard no matter what you do. You gonna give $100,000 to Aunt Lou if you win a million bucks (much less after taxes) or even $50,000 because she dropped five bucks at the party store? Really?

I have given lottery tickets as a stocking stuffer before. I have hoped that the person would win something...but I in no way expected anything back if they did no matter how much they won. Not the reason I gave it as a gift.

Were it the other way around I would give the person something but that's just me.

This.

Yup. But if I won something significant I'd give them a bronze bust of me so they could always have a conversation piece for when times got...you know...boring.

My thought exactly.

True story. My Grandmother...rest her soul because she was the coolest lady ever...bought everyone stocking stuffer lottery tickets when Virginny first got the lottery back around 1992ish or so. We never got 'em in our stockings and didn't know she had even bought 'em. We found out years later that she was too scared one of us would hit the jackpot and scratched them all off herself. :wacko:

Ill never forget on my 22nd birthday my aunt gave me a pick 3 lottery ticket 022. It hit straight and box. I won a couple of hundred . I ordered them a nice dinner from a local restaurant and had it delivered. They were happy and so was I