[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stomach sickness

Chief Dick

Ok. My 2 boys and wife have been puking all week. Thus far it has avoided me and my newborn daughter.(knocks furiously on wood :wacko:) My wife and the two boys had the flu shot; my daughter and I have not.

My question:

1. Have you or your family got this yet? Seems to be going around in the KC area.

2. Did you have a flu shot?

Just curious more than anything. I'm fairly confident it's just a coincidence, but figured I'd ask the wise around here.

i got it today out of nowhere. ive been at work since 6 today, visited the restroom probably upwards of 10 times. had no appetite, decided for lunch id take a nap in my truck and maybe id wake up feeling better. WRONG! I woke up, headed back into work only to find myself sweating profusely, dizzy and light headed, and i headed straight for the restroom where i proceeded to VOMIT as if I were a Boomer on the game Left 4 Dead. I think puking made me feel a LITTLE better, but in the past 30 minutes or so my stomach has been twisting and turning again. :wacko:

edit: oh and i didnt get a flu shot

Edited by Akfatha

I believe that flu shot does not normally cover one for stomach flu's ... I remember reading up on this that stomach flu and strains that cause it are not covered by flu shot given out each year

Chargerz and or any Huddle dr may have more info on this

I believe that flu shot does not normally cover one for stomach flu's ... I remember reading up on this that stomach flu and strains that cause it are not covered by flu shot given out each year

Chargerz and or any Huddle dr may have more info on this

I'll defer to our resident physician, but there is no such thing as a "Stomach Flu". The flu shot covers "Influenza" which affects the lungs, nasal area, etc.. (Bad Cold?)

Misconceptions about "stomach flu"

Is the "stomach flu" really the flu?

No. Many people use the term "stomach flu" to describe illnesses with nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms can be caused by many different viruses, bacteria or even parasites. While vomiting, diarrhea, and being nauseous or "sick to your stomach" can sometimes be related to the flu - more commonly in children than adults - these problems are rarely the main symptoms of influenza. The flu is a respiratory disease and not a stomach or intestinal disease.

Wouldn't have a flu shot for anything. IMO, it's a racket.

Amen. Plus I had enough 'shots' while I was in the military to last me a life time. Thanks to the military (and DoD Directive 6205.3) for prepping me for small pox and anthrax. Just know that if there is an outbreak of small pox, I will make my move to take over the world.

Looks like i got that now. :wacko:

Lies unless you provide pics

Seriously, I try avoid all resturaunts and daycare students in December and January. The glasses are dirty and the silverware is always handled and let's face it, most waiters and cooks don't wash their hands all that much. Tap beer glasses are very dirty and the glass washers at bars never really clean the lip as much as they should.

The daycares are probably the biggest carriers of germs. Snotty kids smearing their fluids all over the place with no regard to their peers and elders. If you see a toddler, RUN.

Bring your own cutlery and ask for a straw if you have to go out to eat.

My daughter got it Christmas morning(fun opening presents at 4:30!!), son the following Wednesday, the wife NYE. Thought I had at least until Wednesday but it came early. Got it Sunday night (thought it might have been a result of watching the Rams-Seahawks game) and have been laid up until this morning. Now trying to decide if I should play basketball or not tonight. Wife had the flu shot btw.

Seriously, I try avoid all resturaunts and daycare students in December and January. The glasses are dirty and the silverware is always handled and let's face it, most waiters and cooks don't wash their hands all that much. Tap beer glasses are very dirty and the glass washers at bars never really clean the lip as much as they should.

The daycares are probably the biggest carriers of germs. Snotty kids smearing their fluids all over the place with no regard to their peers and elders. If you see a toddler, RUN.

Bring your own cutlery and ask for a straw if you have to go out to eat.

Wow. I bet it's fun to go out with you.

the flu ,if you get it, will last for weeks. norwalk virus, on the other hand, is quick and messy

Norovirus (formerly Norwalk agent) is an RNA virus (taxonomic family Caliciviridae) that causes approximately 90% of epidemic non-bacterial outbreaks of gastroenteritis around the world,[1] and may be responsible for 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis in the US.[2][3] Norovirus affects people of all ages. The viruses are transmitted by faecally contaminated food or water, by person-to-person contact,[4] and via aerosolization of the virus and subsequent contamination of surfaces.[5]

I didn't know it was transmittable solely by butt powder.