[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How far do skunks spray?

Gopher

Watching TV, and I hear something tap on the sliding glass door next to me... Look over, and there's a skunk about five feet away from me (door was closed). I tapped on the glass, and he ran to the far corner of our fenced-in yard. So, thinking it's probably not the same part of the fence where he got in, I figure it's worth a shot... I turned on the water hose, turn the setting to "jet," and let the bushes in the corner of our yard have it. Sure enough... he comes scrambling out of the bushes, realizes he is getting even more wet, and scampers back into the bushes. I stood there and doused those bushes (and most likely the smelly little f'er as well) for a good 2-3 minutes straight. Nothing moving, so I figured he either dug his way out, is still hiding in those bushes (scared shltless), or died of a heart attack.

I'm wondering what is a safe range to approach the bushes. I was spraying him from about 30-35 feet, and received no return fire. :wacko:

Edit: Not really trying to hurt the thing, but rather, scare it away so he doesn't come back.

Edited by Gopher

I'm no expert but from what I've seen the skunk needs room to stand and grasp his tail like a rifle of sorts. About this time you'll see the wavy stink lines appear. Tiny lighting bolts will slowly emerge from the tip of the tail, these contain the oder. They move relatively slow and are very directional.

You'll have time to side step the bolts of stink. So approach the bushes in any normal manner. :wacko:

I'm no expert but from what I've seen the skunk needs room to stand and grasp his tail like a rifle of sorts. About this time you'll see the wavy stink lines appear. Tiny lighting bolts will slowly emerge from the tip of the tail, these contain the oder. They move relatively slow and are very directional.

You'll have time to side step the bolts of stink. So approach the bushes in any normal manner. :wacko:

Makes sense. And skunks are French. So put on a German helmet and watch that f'er play dead.

What I've heard works is, if you have a black or dark-colored female cat, you could paint a white stripe down its back and lure the skunk out that way.

:tup: We've got a 25-pound black manx cat (the kind with a very short tail). Looks like a small black bear, waddling around the back yard. I suppose we could paint a white stripe on his back, but I'm not sure the skunk would go for it, unless he's the kind of skunk that's into the "heavier" kind of chick. :wacko:

do not get sprayed - my dog got srayed and I didnt realize it - he came charging in the house and I started petting him and thought he was just wet from rolling in the grass - he stunk for a week bad - and then months thereafter when wet -

I thought I was clean and went to work and as i was sitting there - realized I stunk too - had to immediately evacuate the premises - my hands smelled for two days

The skunk will leave of his own volition

You're best off just letting the skunk do his or her thing. It will leave. BTW, the water was a bad move. You never, ever, ever antagonize a skunk.

You're best off just letting the skunk do his or her thing. It will leave. BTW, the water was a bad move. You never, ever, ever antagonize a skunk.

You might be right. Whole back yard stinks this morning. Not the first time... I think he comes into our yard fairly regularly. We lock up the cats' food at night, for that exact reason (we've had many raccoons, as well as a possum, in our yard before). I just figured the water might discourage him from returning, but who knows.

Bear Grylls would drink the spray and chew off it's ass :wacko:

My MIL is coming to our house tonight... I can just imagine the look on her face, if I told her we were having skunk soup for dinner. :tup:

Dead skunks don't spray at all. Shoot it.

Not entirely true... When I was a kid (living in rural MN), we had a mother skunk and 6-7 babies approach our house. We lived on a long dirt road, and my brothers and I (who were outside playing baseball) could see them walking up the driveway, from about a quarter of a mile away. My dad assumed they were rabid (since they were out in broad daylight, which is somewhat unusual for nocturnal skunks), and proceeded to shoot at them with his .22 rifle. Not sure how many shots he took (I remember it took quite a while, and he probably missed more than he hit), but he eventually killed the whole group. I've never smelled anything that disturbing in my life, I'm pretty sure. It smelled like what you smell when you pass a dead skunk on the road, but ten times stronger (eye-watering strong). And, it smelled for seemingly miles... Went away after about a week or so.

This thread is cracking me up... some excellent advice here! :lol:

That's exactly why I posted it... Was looking more for entertainment, than advice. :rofl:

Here you go

© Double Agent

Yeah... I know how to use Google. Read above comment. :rofl:

I left out the best part... I checked this morning, and sure enough, he must have dug himself out (under our fence) while I was pelting him with the water hose. Of course, that means that he went right into our neighbors' fenced in back yard. :wacko:

Yeah... I know how to use Google. Read above comment. :wacko:

Im just bustin. I think that google thing that double agent showed us is funny so figured it was a good spot to use it

Im just bustin. I think that google thing that double agent showed us is funny so figured it was a good spot to use it

Oh, don't get me wrong... I agree, and it was. I was actually sort of expecting a reply like that, when I initially started this thread. :wacko:

Oh, don't get me wrong... I agree, and it was. I was actually sort of expecting a reply like that, when I initially started this thread. :wacko:

What part of the Bay Area do you live? I'm in Redwood City. We smell them all the time here.

What part of the Bay Area do you live? I'm in Redwood City. We smell them all the time here.

:wacko: Was in NE part, but moved closer to job promotion in the South part.

Yep... Moved to CA in 2004, and lived in Fairfield for close to five years. Now, I live in Union City, and work in Newark. I drive six miles to work, and don't even have to get on the interstate. Still takes about 20 minutes to get there, due to all of the stop lights, but I'll take that over 90 minutes each way (on a good day), any day (used to commute from Fairfield to South San Francisco, near SFO).

I live right off of Mission Blvd, in between Fremont and Hayward, basically. On the other side of Mission (east side), there is nothing but hills and a horse ranch or two, which I'm guessing is why we see so much wildlife here. Lots of hills and such on the peninsula side (Redwood City, etc.) as well, so it doesn't surprise me that you have plenty of 'em over there as well.