[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finally ready

alexgaddis

i have narrowed it down to a 40 inch for my living room...

went to Best Buy today and somehow convinced myself that I not only need the 120mh refresh rate but I also need to have them come out and calibrate the TV....

so I need advice...for those with the 60mh, do you notice a lot of blur?

btw I am getting an LCD tv...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should definitely get a TV that has 120 hz - this means that the refresh rate is 120 frames a second....it's not as flawless as a plasma with the smoothness in picture, but still handles extremely well and much better than a 60hz set....

I would not pay for the calibration, instead wait until you have logged 100 hours onto your TV and then go to avsforum.com to see if there are any calibration settings for your particular set....

but we'll help you cross that bridge once you come to it....

which brand were you deciding on?

i have narrowed it down to a 40 inch for my living room...

went to Best Buy today and somehow convinced myself that I not only need the 120mh refresh rate but I also need to have them come out and calibrate the TV....

so I need advice...for those with the 60mh, do you notice a lot of blur?

btw I am getting an LCD tv...

Rule of thumb: Decide on the size you want for your place...and then go one size higher.

And I agree with the previous poster: DO NOT get your TV calibrated by Best Buy. You're going to get some teen they pay $8 an hour to who doesn't know squat. If you want your TV calibrated the right way, be ready to shell out 300, 400 or 500 bucks to the real professionals. I haven't done it, but everything I've read says that it is well worth by these guys. If you do, make sure you do your research and get someone reputable - don't get scammed. If you don't want to shell out the $, then AVSForums is the way to go.

As far as refresh rate, check out this site before you buy. Lot's of good stuff here on LCD's, LCD vs Plasma, reviews, etc...

Edited by tosberg34

I had my RPTV calibrated after the 100 hour break in period. The difference in the picture was amazing and well worth the $450 dollars it cost to do it. However, I had it done by a professional, not some doofus from BB. If the kid comes in and pops a DVD into the player, then you can do that yourself and probably better then him. There are two DVDs that will allow you to do the basic set up at home, Avia Guide to Home Theater and Digital Video Essentials. What they can't so is to calibrate the grayscale which is important to getting the colors completely correct. Only a pro has the equipment to do this.

Don't buy your HDMI cable at Best Buy. Go to monoprice.com

+1

Same for the wallmount. My cousin used to be a Manager at Best Buy (and is now at Ultimate Electronics), and she says all places make VERY little on TVs, and make bank on the cables and other accessories. My wall mount from monoprice was about $30 w/ shipping and BB wanted about $125 for theirs. I bought my cables from ebay for less than what monoprice had too. Had to wait a bit for those since a few came from overseas, but they work just as good.

You'll want to plan for running cables through your wall as well (if needed and/or possible) and possibly floor/ceiling. Different ways to do this. Couple of my rooms have a couple of "scoops" which allow my cables to run through the wall. Other rooms I ran them through the wall and used gang/wallplates (2, 3, 4 depending on the number of other cables needing run). You'll want to make sure you either have a router, or know somebody who does, for this. I left a string which goes from one opening to the other, in case I need to run another cable in the future, I won't have to disassemble anything.

I cannot stress the concept of "doing it right the first time" with this. If you have to wait a week for cables, wait a week. If it's not level, don't duct tape it. When you get it right, it's sweet.

GL.

This Samsung 46" LCD rocks...

I did a LOT of research and got this one on Cyber Monday for a steal. It is internet-ready, but if you don't care about that, the 630 version is cheaper.

I can't say enough good things about this set. It is pretty fricken amazing.

Others will try to sell the LED-style, but this is the best of the tube technology that is mature and at it's peak. LED is just starting out and doesn't rate as well as this tv.

Rule of thumb: Decide on the size you want for your place...and then go one size higher.

And I agree with the previous poster: DO NOT get your TV calibrated by Best Buy. You're going to get some teen they pay $8 an hour to who doesn't know squat. If you want your TV calibrated the right way, be ready to shell out 300, 400 or 500 bucks to the real professionals. I haven't done it, but everything I've read says that it is well worth by these guys. If you do, make sure you do your research and get someone reputable - don't get scammed. If you don't want to shell out the $, then AVSForums is the way to go.

As far as refresh rate, check out this site before you buy. Lot's of good stuff here on LCD's, LCD vs Plasma, reviews, etc...

Wow, what a great site--thanks. We are currently looking for a TV to go above our mantle in our bedroom. This really helped! We were out shopping today.

This Samsung 46" LCD rocks...

I did a LOT of research and got this one on Cyber Monday for a steal. It is internet-ready, but if you don't care about that, the 630 version is cheaper.

I can't say enough good things about this set. It is pretty fricken amazing.

Others will try to sell the LED-style, but this is the best of the tube technology that is mature and at it's peak. LED is just starting out and doesn't rate as well as this tv.

Pretty sure that is the same one we got. We did alot of research and came up with this as the best bang for the buck. LEDs are nice but not worth the money yet. Plasmas are cheaper but the glare in our living room would have killed us

Just in case you need 30 opinions before you make a decision . . .

1) Unless you're putting the tv into a walk-in closet, 40" is too small.

2) If you're purchasing the tv from Best Buy, follow this procedure: a) purchase tv; b ) purchase only tv; c) the second that someone mentions the word cable, or warranty or calibrate, forget that you know the english language; d) punch, in the face, anyone that questions your forgetfulness e) immediately take tv to vehicle.

3) Go to monoprice.com for the cables that you need. If you need help with this, there are 30 people that frequent this forum that can help you with this.

2) If you're purchasing the tv from Best Buy, follow this procedure: a) purchase tv; b ) purchase only tv; c) the second that someone mentions the word cable, or warranty or calibrate, forget that you know the english language; d) punch, in the face, anyone that questions your forgetfulness e) immediately take tv to vehicle.

3) Go to monoprice.com for the cables that you need. If you need help with this, there are 30 people that frequent this forum that can help you with this.

great info here

One more thing, if you notice anyone looking at the monstrous cables, it is your duty as a human being to tell them that they can get the same quality cable for less than a tenth of the price from monoprice.com or about 25% of the price at amazon.com.

Edited by Furd

exactly

And this

I had my RPTV calibrated after the 100 hour break in period. The difference in the picture was amazing and well worth the $450 dollars it cost to do it. However, I had it done by a professional, not some doofus from BB. If the kid comes in and pops a DVD into the player, then you can do that yourself and probably better then him. There are two DVDs that will allow you to do the basic set up at home, Avia Guide to Home Theater and Digital Video Essentials. What they can't so is to calibrate the grayscale which is important to getting the colors completely correct. Only a pro has the equipment to do this.

I actually ended up using a Blu-ray that is intended for TV calibration....very much worth the 10 bucks I spent on amazon....

my settings were originally from avsforum, but then ended up using my calibration disc instead and my results were rather similar....