[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nook or Kindle

Gopher

Main purposes for use would be (in order of use):

#1 - As an E-reader (books, as well as possibly some magazines/newspapers, etc.)

#2 - Photo / music

#3 - Facebook (and other internet)

My mom just spent three weeks with us in CA, visiting her new grand-daughter. I noticed that she brought about 20 pounds of books in her luggage (she reads a LOT). Even though she gets a lot of her books from her local library, I'm pretty sure she would love an electronic reading device (despite having to purchase books for it). If she can use it to check her Facebook page and email, I think she would appreciate it even more. Store and view pictures of the grandkids, even better.

So, since she basically provided us with three weeks of free daycare (not to mention cleaning our house, laundry, etc.) while she was here, my wife and I would like to get her something, to show our appreciation. I'm leaning towards the Nook (color version), but am curious if anybody here has used either the Nook (from Barnes & Noble) or the Kindle (Amazon). Both of these sell for under $200 (the color Nook is a bit more), and are more reasonably priced than the Ipad, for example.

Not sure how much Internet surfing you can do on the kindle. I know you are supposed to be able to do some minimal stuff with it, nothing too graphic intensive (it isn't a color screen).

Before I read your other paragraphs, the first think I thought of for your items 1-3 was an IPad or other similar tablet, as the Kindle is not good for displaying photographs, etc. it is just black and white.

The basic web browsing capability is still listed as an experimental feature, but based on the description of it's capabilities, would not be a good fit for graphic intensive sites like facebook.:

Kindle DX's basic Web browser works well to read simple, text-centric Web sites such as Google and Wikipedia. Need to find a movie listing or look up a sports score? Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle DX. The experimental Web browser is not currently available for some customers outside of the U.S.

And, the description for the Nook:

Connect via any Wi-Fi® network and explore the Web using NOOK's basic web browser. You can check email, send a note or do a quick Google® search using the virtual keyboard on our gorgeous color touch navigation panel.

I don't see anything on the Nook page about being able to load and play music, but the Kindle does support that.

In short, I would say that neither the Nook or Kindle is a good fit for your 3 things listed. If focused solely on an e-reader, I only have hands on experience with the Kindle and I will say that set up is a breeze and everyone that I know that uses it loves it. I don't have one for myself (we got one for my mother-in-law and I got one for my wife), and I figure if I decide to go the e-reader route for myself, I would prefer to go the iPad or other tablet route mainly to be able to take advantage of the other activities that you mentioned (music, pictures, web browsing, etc.) all in one device 9albeit at a greater initial cost for the device and ongoing monthly data plan cost vs. free wifi/3G for the readers)

Fairly certain the Kindle is only for books and none of the other options you're looking for. If I'm wrong then my Kindle is pretty basic.

Rumors are flying that the iPad2 will be announced tomorrow and there's speculation that they'll make the 1st gen iPad very affordable so if you're looking for something that does it all then get an iPad.

Or, if price isn't a concern, wait another month or 2 until they release the iPad2 and get one of those.

Got the wife the barnes and noble nook. The coler version is great for FB, and she has video chat on it with her sister and mom. Barnes and Noble give you the ability to preview any book in there store, automatically updates every time you take it in the store, and you also get free coffee everytime you go in. The new Nook is pretty impressive. The wife has reads on it all the time... And facebooks or whatever.

Just read an article about an AT&T blunder regarding the iPad2. States that they've severely discounted all their iPad accessories which is usually a precursor of a new product release ie iPad 2. The blunder is that they're not suppose to do that until given the go ahead from Apple.

I have used the Kindle and Nook. I ended up buying the Nook and love it. My wife ended up buying the color touch screen one a week later. I am torn between the traditional version and touch/color screen. To me both have their pluses and minuses. As for the Nook brand I like it a lot more then the Kindle....a lot more....

Owning the Nook has increased my reading greatly! I definitely recommend them to even the most casual of readers.

The thread below is from a few months back, but might offer additional opinions:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=308823

As an aside, we had "Kindle I" and liked it ... although the button that the user pushed to "turn the page" made an annoying clicking sound. We have since upgraded to "Kindle II" and the annoying button click has been fixed. Our Kindle I was given away to a family member & is still going strong.

I can't speak for the Nook, but the Kindle has been solid ... but is an e-reader.

Edited by ts

The Kindle is not color. You can get papers with it. I have no experience with the Nook, but I absolutely love my Kindle, but I only use it to read books. The thing I like the best about it is I can read it for hours on end and not get eye strain, like you would with at typical color monitor.

The Kindle is not color. You can get papers with it. I have no experience with the Nook, but I absolutely love my Kindle, but I only use it to read books. The thing I like the best about it is I can read it for hours on end and not get eye strain, like you would with at typical color monitor.

THE reason not to get an iPad if your main intention is to use it as a reader.

Think I'm going to go with the color Nook... Better/more options than the Kindle, but less spendy than the Ipad. Of course, I just realized that the nearest B&N recently closed, so I now have to drive across the Bay to pick one up. :wacko: